You Make the Call - 9/15

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Sticking with the kicking game:

During the pregame meeting with the visiting coach, the coach complains that the distance between the goal posts is 18' 6" (NCAA) instead of 23' 4" (NFHS). The home team uses the field of a local college as its home field. What should the referee do?

* Hint: There are 2 possibilities...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I have no earthly idea, so I will grab a hairbrain idea.

Make both teams go for two on PAT.

Go ahead and let them kick thru the goals. Although they are not regulation, both teams are equally penalized--no advantage unless one team has a better kicker, but even then they would have the advantage with regulation goals.

I guess you could postpone the game and if possible set up the regulation goals or bettern yet get an blowtorch and fix 'em!

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
I am at a loss also but to guess...

I don't think you can make them go for two. I think you are given the option of playing it as it is or forfeiting the game.

I do believe that Bamaflum is somewhat correct here. again, I think that the two options are obvious...play it as is or forfeit.

By the way, GREAT QUESTION!

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Here in Mississippi, we played it like it was. The state championship games were played in a college stadium and we've always kicked on whatever field goals were there.

I'm presuming the ref would say tough luck, kick it or go for it, its your choice just like any other game . . .

wisten

Hall of Fame
Apr 30, 2003
Gulf Shores, AL, USA
Given the difference in the goalposts, there is only one reasonable outcome. Immediately declare Auburn the People's Champions and organize a parade.

Seriously, I would say play the game as the posts stand or reschedule for another field.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Hawk, I thought that I knew the answer until you said that there are two possibilities. I know that the rules permit the game to be played with the college posts if they meet NCAA rules. It is the other possibility that causes me to pause. It could be that the visiting team could forfeit, load the bus, and go home. It could be that the goal posts are adjustable in which case they could be adjusted to the correct measurement. Otherwise, I am not sure.

By the way Wisten, thanks for the joke. I needed a good laugh!

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm not sure what the other option is, either.

I've called a few games where one set of goal posts were crooked, a few where I was sure that the crossbars were less than 10" from the ground, and even a few where (due to a huge gully on on end) all XP attempts were made at the other end of the field. There's one HS field in Alabama (Parrish, IIRC) that has metal footballs on the ends of the uprights that are wider than the uprights themselves.

Maybe the other option is to make sure the visitors don't score. ;)

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Well, I think that it is the home team's responsibility to provide regulation goals. That would lead me to believe that they could force the Home team to forfeit.

I say 1) force the home team to forfeit or 2) play with the goals as they exist. It is not reasonable to think that there might be portable goals available, is it? I've seen them at some smaller schools...

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
I think I misled y'all in stating there are two choices. The two choices are based on the type of goals that are set up (boy, that is a heck of a hint!).

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Jref said:
I'm not sure what the other option is, either.

I've called a few games where one set of goal posts were crooked, a few where I was sure that the crossbars were less than 10" from the ground
Hmmm.......hard to miss a PAT there. The Munchkin Football League? ;)

:biga2:

Last edited:

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
The two choices are based on the type of goals that are set up
I only know of two types of goals - permanent and portable.

Either way, how would that help? Even if the goals were portable, the only way to make them "play" wider would be to move them closer - but that would have them in the middle of the end zone. Is that an option?

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
NY, you are on the right track. There are different type goals. There are ones that are permanently set at a certain width, and some that can be adjusted to different widths. The 2 choices:

a) play with the goals at 18' 6"
b) if adjustable, set the goals at 23' 4"

Most of y'all were all over this one. My fault for trying to get too fancy. That was very picky of me. I will not do that again! Good job in dissecting this one!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.