• Intel P4

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • AMD 64 bit series

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
Anyone out there familiar with the AMD 64 bit series? I'm about to build me a new pc and was thinking about going with the AMD. I had heard that the AMD has problems multi-tasking but the P4 (I have a P4 now 1.7 ghz) excells at this. I'm going to be using this for gaming and other stuff such as surfing the web, editing photo's, etc.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I'd go with the AMD. I've used AMD chips for years w/o problems. W/ Multitasking, system RAM tends to have more of an impact than Intel v AMD.

The prices on the Athlon 64 chips should be dropping now that the dual-core Athlons are hitting the streets.

Newegg had a sale on a nice Athlon motherboard the other day, but I don't know if it's still available.

MDBFUNFOREVER

Scout Team
Nov 21, 2004
I used to have problem with slowing down too. I solved my problem by buying a mac. I edit video and it took 4 times longer on pc then mac.

Rolling Tide

1st Team
May 29, 2002
A, A
www.crimsonphoto.com
If your having a slow down with your video/photo editing it is more than likely your video card isnt strong enough.

I have an AMD XP 2.2 CPU with 1GB Ram with 512ram video card and never have any slow down while editing video or photos.

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
Rolling Tide said:
If your having a slow down with your video/photo editing it is more than likely your video card isnt strong enough.

I have an AMD XP 2.2 CPU with 1GB Ram with 512ram video card and never have any slow down while editing video or photos.
Huh? 512 video card? Are you running a dual card system? :confused:

Last edited:

Rolling Tide

1st Team
May 29, 2002
A, A
www.crimsonphoto.com
If you’re going to get a 64bit chip you need to get the AMD. It has 64bit and 32 bit in the same chip set. The Intel chip only has 64 and if you run a 32 bit program it will runner slower than if you just had a 32 bit chip. The reason is the Intel 64 bit chip has to use software to convert the 32 bit application which in turn gives you a slower response time.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
Also make sure you get the Win XP with 64 bit support. And if you're running dual cores, you'll need XP pro, I believe.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.