You Make the Call - 11/1

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
This will be the last week this season for YMTC. I would like for the next few weeks to discuss what is happening in the playoffs, so keep coming to this board for a good discussion.

Team White's RB is running down the field with a Blue defender chasing at an angle. When the defender for Blue catches up to the RB at Blue's 20 yd line, he deliberately trips the ball carrier and he falls at the 17 yd line. What should be done by the officiating crew?

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Tidehawk, you must have been at the Tarrant/Straughn first round playoff game in 2003. I had that exact play. The ruling: The ball will be spotted at the 17 yard line. If the yardage gained is enough for the first down, it will be first and 10, otherwise it will be the next down. Tripping the ball carrier is legal.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Good call, jake.

Last year at one of our JV games we had that situation - one of the opposing players tripped our RB. I was sitting a few seats down from his dad and he turned to me and said, "Did you see that? He tripped Matt!" I told him that it was legal to trip the ball carrier, but it took a minute or so to convince him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.