Unusual Play

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
A very unusual play happened in the T R Miller - Aliceville game this past Friday in Aliceville. I believe that the officials missed this one. How would all of you rule?

4th down Miller deep in its own territory. Miller punted. The receiver for Aliceville signaled for a fair catch. The ball hit the ground in front of the receiver and bounced directly to him. He caught the ball cleanly and just stood there. A player from Miller that was covering the punt ran up to him and, from what appeared on the clip shown on the news, the Aliceville receiver handed him the ball. The Miller player ran to the endzone. The officials ruled that it was a touchdown for Miller.

I think that this was a bad call, but I will not give my reasoning at this point or what I think that the call should have been so all of you can comment.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
BayouBama75 said:
The play is not over until the whistle blows....
Not true. The play is over when the ball becomes dead by rule. There are many games where no whistle (or a very late one) is blown after certain plays. That doesn't give players free rein to keep hitting. The old "hit 'till you hear the whistle" philosophy just doesn't apply anymore.

That said ... in the play posted, the ball becomes dead upon possession by either team after any member of the receiving team has given a fair catch signal, even if it's an invalid signal.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
My thoughts exactly Jref and Powerlineman. It doesn't matter that the ball hit the ground first either. The receiver gave a fair catch signal. Once he (or any member of his team) gains possession, the ball is dead and it is first and ten for the receivers.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I guess I was thinking of the rule where a defensive player touches a ball on a punt and it continues to roll around. I know the offensive player can then pick it up and run with it if it has not been blown dead by the official... (also if he fumbles the ball, he can still have it where it was originally touched by the punting team),

Also I know you can't hit a guy out of bounds no matter whether the whistle blows or not.... I am sure there probably some other situations like that.

Like I said in my original post. I am biased for TRM.....

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I watched the first round playoff game that TRM played against Holtville. There was a play in that game where the QB rolled (got chased) out to the right about 10-15 yards behind the LOS... he was being chased and turned and threw the ball back to the left about 6-7 yards forward but primarily across the field. The ball bounced about 3 yards before it got the the receiver and he caught it on the bounce and took off running down the field for about about a 30 yard gain.

The fans and coaches protested but it was allowed.. TRM was on defense and they were up about 35-6 at the time so it didn't really matter but still I was amazed that none of the refs saw it... I assume the ref behind the QB was watching to see if the QB got roughed or he fell asleep not sure which.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Yeah, on that play the referee (white cap - nearest the QB) must keep his eyes on the QB to make sure he doesn't get roughed. The wing men and the umpire have to be able to see that play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.