Not open for further replies.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
A closer look at the class of '06: The QBs

Earl Alexander
Earl is ranked as one of the best athletes in the country. He played in an offense that didn't always allow him to show off his arm, as it was centered mostly on the run. However, Earl does have some capabilities as a QB, with his most impressive being his elusiveness. At 6'4", 200 lbs, and a 4.45 40 time, Earl will be given a shot at QB, but is open to moving to another position-- possibly WR, a position that he could be an NFL talent at. If he doesn't beat out fellow QB signee Greg McElroy, look for that to happen.

Academics: should qualify
Stats: 1257 yards passing with 10 TDs, 529 yards rushing with 7 TDs
2006 Prediction: redshirt and move to WR
Profile links: Rivals, Scout

Greg McElroy
Greg was obviously #2 behind Tebow on the staff's board, but his stats and leadership are definitely not. Greg, in his first year as a starter, lead his team to the state title in Texas' largest classification. If not for it being his first year as a starter, he would've been ranked much higher. Greg (6'2", 212 lbs, 4.8 40) is an excellent passer and is very good in the pocket and on the run. He throws a pretty ball and makes good reads for a HS QB. He is very similar to John Parker Wilson. Many believe he has the potential to be #2 by the end of fall camp. He was an excellent late pick-up.

Academics: should qualify
Stats: 308 for 458 for 4636 yards and 56 TDs and only 9 INTs. 800 yards rushing.
2006 Prediction: if he moves to #2, I look for him to play. However, I actually hope he can redshirt to further separate he and JPW.
Profile links:Rivals, Scout

Overall grade: B+

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I hope Alexander gets a look at QB, but I suspect he'll be moved to WR mainly due to the talent at QB. At best he would #2 and most likely #3 even after a RS year due to our offensive philosophy. He may be able to get on the field next year at WR due to his athleticism. I'd love to see us use him like CBC used Randle El yesterday in the SB. I think he'll be a playmaker if we can get the ball in his hands in different situations.

I think McElroy will be the #2 guy behind JPW in 07 but expect him to RS next year. It all depends on how well JPW does and how capable JB is as a backup. I think McElroy will prove to be a fierce competitor and a talented QB who will push JPW for playing time. The only question is when. I'm sure CMS would like to RS McElroy just to spread out the talent. I really hope we don't have any injuries that might force Barnes or McElroy into playing time before they're ready.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
I was going to say the same thing. I believe people have forgotten about Guillon. I know he had the back problems and has had an attitude. I think he can straighten those things out. Its his last chance at playing most likely and he can show up and play hard and smart. It could really help us, having a QB with experience and not throwing Jimmy Barnes into the fire as a redshirt freshman.

RollTideHG

Scout Team
Aug 29, 2005
Meridianville, Alabama
We forget that this season is the reason that Marc Guillon transferred to Alabama. Knowing full well that Croyle would be gone this year, he expected then and probably still expects to start next season. I, for one, am not ruling him out at all. During A-day if I see MG making the short throws and JPW missing them, look out for a QB controversy this fall.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
PlayerUA said:
I just dont see any way that Jimmy Barnes leaps Marc Guillon on our depth chart.
One reason -- Barnes will be a RS Freshman. Guillon will be a senior. Unless there was a significant difference, I'd opt for providing practice reps and playing time for the younger guy.

Most of us don't have any idea at this point how Barnes will do. Unless you've been to the practices you haven't had a chance to see Barnes do anything more than throw a few balls during warmups before the games. But we'll see in a few weeks. It should be interesting.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Barnes lost a lot of time in his fight with mononucleosis. He is still a strong kid that probably needs another year before becoming a real factor. Barnes is somewhat mechanical in his footwork and throwing but he does understand the position. I think he is a very coachable player and we may yet see bigger things from him.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I find us quite often wishing in one hand and wanting in the other. How can we praise the staff for bringing in a great class yet curse them when our favorites don't play as often or move to another position? The logical answer is because we are fans and that is what we do. But surely there are many things we as fans do not see or become privy to that make up these decisions by the coaching staff. Will Johns or Alexander be the QBs of the future for Alabama? I really can't say but if I were a betting man I would say they will both move and both will have pretty good careers at Alabama and perhaps more. One thing I have learned through some others is Jimmy Johns is a good man as well as a good player. I am firmly behind him no matter where he plays.

GrandBayTider

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2004
Prattville, AL
I watched Earl Alexander against Lanier H.S. during this past season. The Lanier defense really shut him down. He was under a lot of pressure all night, and definitely showed some scrambling ability. His arm strength was not impressive, and the ball seemed to float. He finished with about 60 or 80 yds passing I believe. After watching that game, I couldn't imagine him running an offense in the SEC. However he did show some good speed, and leadership qualities. I think he will end up contributing, but I don't know if he will be a great player. Of course I just saw him the one game, and hope I'm wrong and he is the next Walter Lewis! Regardless, I think he will end up RS next year whether he stays at QB or moves to another position.

Scott Free

Scout Team
Oct 20, 2003
Phenix City, Al USA
More to the point of GrandBayTider

I am from Phenix City and have seen Earl Alexander play on many occasions and can honestly tell you, I would be shocked if he ever sees the field at QB. He has a strong arm and good scrambling ability but he does not have any touch and many times just throws the ball as far down the field as he can hoping a receiver will make the play. I would catagorize him mainly as a running QB, and say that he doesn't read defenses and throws to his primary target even when they are covered. Granted, Central is mainly a running team and he mostly throws on 3rd and long and rarely on 1st or 2nd down. However, I just don't see the intangibles that I see from McCelroy when I have watched his many videos. However, not to completely bash him, he is a tremendous athlete and I think he could easily make the move to WR and be a good one.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If we all understand Coach Shula's offense then we know there is litte to no chance of Alexander or Johns being a QB, except possibly in a specific situation. I personally am still a fan of the Wishbone, but understand that times change. As I understand the Alabama offense, it is predicated on motion and movement to get certain players in certain places to create mismatches in coverage and to help with blocking assignments. I know that is pretty simply stated. I also think our offense requires a QB who can read defenses and be confident in his ability to audible when necessary. It also requires a QB who, for the most part, is very good in the play action pass, and who can find the open receiver after having gone through his progression. Having said all of that, I am not taking anything away from Alexander and Johns, however, they did not play QB in a system that required those skills. IMHO, they were probably the best athletes at their respective schools and their HS coach's moved them to QB and their respective offenses relied totally on their physical abilities.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
Well I for one believe

Mcelroy will one day lead the Tide to glory. Maybe he doesn't make espn's list but he is on Rivals list at 11 or 12 I believe and I like what I see in his videos. I do believe he will RS this year to grow and learn in CMS system. When given the chance, he will stand and deliver. :biggrin2:

RT

TerryP

Suspended
Oct 8, 1999
RollTideHG said:
Remember that Radar ran a wishbone style offense at Tulane, and he is the one who pushed for the recruiting of Jimmy Johns.
Rader ran a wide open attack at Tulsa...and it was Sparky Woods who was behind the recruitment of Johns. I don't know where you got this from...but it certainly contradicts what we've been told as far as Johns is concerned.

gigama

Scout Team
Aug 19, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Radar= solid Rep

I lived in Oklahoma for a long time, and DR is definitely held in high regard among those in the know. Tulsa is a private school with high academic entrance standards, and DR did a bang up job of not only being competitive, but bowl eligible as well. He also beat OU in Norman during the Blake years. Not to mention he sent 3 QB's to the NFL. 3 more than we have in a long time. People who don't like our pseudo- vanilla offense need to look at Shula, as Radar's history is a lot more wide open than anything we have been doing. Not a flame on Shula, just a fact.

Crimson Hawk

Hall of Fame
Dec 16, 2001
North Alabama
bayoutider said:
But surely there are many things we as fans do not see or become privy to that make up these decisions by the coaching staff.
Truer words have never been spoken, Bayou. Problem is, most don't realize this.
One thing I have learned through some others is Jimmy Johns is a good man as well as a good player. I am firmly behind him no matter where he plays.
Unless, or until, JJ shows me any different, I, also, will be a strong supporter/fan. He won me over when he said he'd play anywhere he could help the team. Unselfishness is a rare virtue in today's world.

Spark004

REGISTRATION ON HOLD - CHECK EMAIL
May 1, 2005
Mike Sparks is coming

Mike was in tuscaloosa this past weekend going over some details with coach ungerer. He is my cousin and stayed with us. According to him, the coaches have guaranteed him a prefered walk-on spot and he will be included in the 105 man fall roster. Just some quick info for you guys. Roll Tide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.