You are Old School Tuscaloosa if:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Cool, I was involved with Black Warrior pretty much until I left t-town in 91 or so working at camp and doing OA stuff with aracoma lodge. Spent a lot of quality time out at camp horne working my fingers to the bone under the infamous JP (John Price) who was the ranger for many moons. Incredible man with a dry and dark sense of humor. :smile: He was also a nationally or internationally ranked chess player.

blackumbrella

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
dominican harlem
ga_tide_fan said:
They vary in height. There is one when you first walk up the hill that is 8 feet high, as you walk around to the right they got higher. I know the cliff in the bend as you walked around was 15-20 feet high (maybe higher, it has been 15 years or so), then there was this one that you had to jump over the top of some small pine trees that was 30-40 feet high. The tall one was pretty scary since you had to jump over the trees and clear the last 3-4 feet of rock before you got to the water. It was great fun though. There were people everywhere after classes and on the weekends.
no. the high one is nearly 60 ft. drop a rock off it and stopwatch it. and actually, there are two high ones. about 15-20 feet before you come to the one most people jump from, if you push through the brush, there's another one that's actually a few feet higher and requiring you jump even farther out to clear some trees. i've only ever known two people to jump from there. we used to take folks out at night, march them down that long trail, and chill for awhile. then nonchalantly fly off the cliffs. it was like that bridge scene from lost boys. i used to have to convince myself how good a life i'd had, in case there was a log or something floating down there in the dark.

BigTex

All-SEC
Sep 19, 2002
Spring, Texas
DiamondDust said:
Southland is still there... I've eaten there a couple of times when doing work out at Camp Horne in Cottondale.
It must have been rebuilt cause it burned down when I was in high school in the 70's.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the wooden door, michaels and downtown pub were around long before 4th and 23rd.
i only went to michaels once and within two minutes said, wait a second that chick on stage aint no chick . . . and left :eek2:

There was one other bar on the (south west i think)corner of downtown. can't remember the name of it though.

blackumbrella

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
dominican harlem
92tide said:
i only went to michaels once and within two minutes said, wait a second that chick on stage aint no chick . . . and left :eek2:

There was one other bar on the (south west i think)corner of downtown. can't remember the name of it though.
you missed out on some free, stiff drinks

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
you remember a restaurant across the river named RP Kiplings.

you had never heard of The Olive Garden, but sure spent some friday and saturday nights at the bar/dance floor in The Landing restaurant.

you remember standing in a crowd trying to get a glimpse of a very famous actor by the name of Burt Reynolds, where he was involved in filming scenes for a movie over off of McFarland Blvd.

You remember the mayor being someone else besides Al Dupont(or now, Walt Maddox)

You know that the FIRST location that the Sheraton Hotel had in Tuscaloosa was not the one currently on campus, but behind the new HoJo hotel at the Skyland blvd/I-59 interchange and used to have a bar called the Cowboy

You ever ordered Bama Bino Pizza

You saw the movie "Aliens" at the old Picture Show on the Strip

Bought a record at the Vinyl Solution

Got to watch Mr. Bishop cook and flip the ribs over at Dreamland

You listened to Mark and Brian on I-95 every morning

You can recall when Kip Tyner was a weather man, NOT a city councilman

Last edited:

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Broadway Joe's.

A meat & 3 veggies at Posey's for 2 bucks.

The Pouch House.

Uncle Andy's.

Lee's Tomb.

The Union 76 truck stop - biscuits & redeye gravy.

The smokestack they blew up for Burt Reynold's movie.

The Locust Fork Band.

No upper decks at BDS.

DJHall4prez

3rd Team
Oct 4, 2005
T-town, Alabama
92tide said:
Cool, I was involved with Black Warrior pretty much until I left t-town in 91 or so working at camp and doing OA stuff with aracoma lodge. Spent a lot of quality time out at camp horne working my fingers to the bone under the infamous JP (John Price) who was the ranger for many moons. Incredible man with a dry and dark sense of humor. :smile: He was also a nationally or internationally ranked chess player.
JP was the man....I was a CIT his last year...for some reason I was his helper most of the summer...I both hated and was in awe of him all summer. He worked me to death but then we'd sit at the trading post and shoot turtles in the lower lake on some days and he'd buy me cokes. I worked out at camp horne for about 7 or 8 years....best time of my life.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
TexasBama said:
Broadway Joe's.

The Pouch House.

Uncle Andy's.

Lee's Tomb.

The smokestack they blew up for Burt Reynold's movie.

The Locust Fork Band.

No upper decks at BDS.

LOL....I remember Posey's....Great food! They actually gave the city cafe a run for their money....lol

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
TexasBama said:

The Pouch House.

Lee's Tomb.

The Locust Fork Band.
Thanks, TexBam, couldn't remember Posey's. Wasn't the Union 79 truck stop named Baggetts?

So, you were more of a Locust Fork as opposed to the Gate Band type? Anyone remember Ned?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
JP was the man....I was a CIT his last year...for some reason I was his helper most of the summer...I both hated and was in awe of him all summer. He worked me to death but then we'd sit at the trading post and shoot turtles in the lower lake on some days and he'd buy me cokes. I worked out at camp horne for about 7 or 8 years....best time of my life.
Yesterday 10:05 PM
yep, it definately made you proud when you became one of JPs boys. i had a great time working for him out there.

my first year, we thought we'd be funny and wake him up by singing christmas carols to him one night at about 9pm (christmas in july), turns out he didn't find it very funny. next morning at 4am he drove his tractor through the staff area honking the horn and yelling merry christmas

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Diamond,

I've been in Atlanta since 1992. I worked at Camp Horne 1985-1989 on staff and was there as a camper the 3 years prior. Started in the kitchen, worked regular program staff, worked on aquatics staff and was over program staff/liased with the scoutmasters (cant remember the title) the last year. Also did some work with aracoma during the same time.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
To all the Camp Horne people: Are you still in the area, active with the council, and what years did you work at camp?
I know, I am replying to a really old post. Diamond Dust, I live in Birmingham and worked at Camp Horne near Tuscaloosa in 1966-1969, 1971. Great times!

RVTIDER

Hall of Fame
Oct 29, 2004
Tuscaloosa, Al.
I know, I am replying to a really old post. Diamond Dust, I live in Birmingham and worked at Camp Horne near Tuscaloosa in 1966-1969, 1971. Great times!
Wow, what a search. Reading this thread just made me feel different. Lots of old memories, thanks. I have been here since '85 so I remember a lot of this stuff. Amazing how much I had forgotten. Getting old sucks.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Funny, I don't get home sick all that often, but reading all of this almost made me tear up with it. My great uncle was the original owner of Southland Restaurant (mentioned on the previous page) back many, many years ago, and one of my dad's first jobs was as a busboy there. These past three pages have been some priceless reading to me, and it has totally made my night. Thanks jabcmb for resurecting it!!

CE83

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 12, 2004
Cashed a $5 check at Grant's.

It was $2.20 at Posey's when I was there. I can still hear the lady at the register say "Two twenty" in her distinctive voice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.