You are Old School Tuscaloosa if:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The Corner was new.
My regrets GrayTide:

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20130627/NEWS/130629819

TUSCALOOSA | As a boy, Rich Anders stopped at The Corner store on the way to football games at nearby Bryant-Denny Stadium. Later, as a student at the University of Alabama, the convenience store served as a stop for groceries.

The popular store at the corner of Paul W. Bryant Drive and Eighth Avenue on the south side of campus — a fixture to Anders and others for almost 70 years — was demolished this week [week of 6/24].

Last edited:

Pugsley

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 27, 2012
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Anyone remember Irelands or Storyville? They were off Hackberry just past McFarland Blvd. Irelands had the best mini-steak biscuits and irish stew I have ever had.

How about when Mercedes first came and the city had Citifest downtown... all those German beers and bratwursts.

I remember a band (Sidewinder) that played at my fraternity house. Our power supply was not sufficient for them, so they attached directly to the transformer... that was the loudest band I have ever heard!

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL
Got this from the Chukker group on FB:

How many of these do you remember?
Solomon's at 1001 University Blvd
Another Roadside Attraction 1009 University Blvd. (their first location)
The Dickery was at 1207 University Blvd.
Beggar's Banquet was at 1302 University Blvd.
The Dobb's House was at 1400 University Blvd.
Johnny's Restaurant was at 2400 University Blvd. (now a parking lot)
The Deep South Lounge was at 2402 University Blvd.
Roy's Place (pool room) was at 2404 University Blvd
Barnwell Hall which housed Down under in the basement 800 10th Street (Bryant Drive).
Jackie's Lounge was once called Pat's Cafe 2111 10th (Bryant Drive)
Frank's (later the Bahn Hof) was at the end of 11th Street beside the railroad tracks
Special Edition (hip hugger bellbottom jeans and t-shirts) 7th Avenue (now right half of Yazoo Courtyard Grill)
Joe Namath's Restaurant was at 607 15th Street
The Chukker was at 2121 6th Street
Chuck Wagon Cafe was at 2309 7th Street
The Silver Dollar Bar was at 2311 7th Street
Hanly's Pawn Shop was at 2313 7th Street.
Lee's Tomb (John F Mason, manager) was at 2209 4th Street
The Tide was at 614 25th Avenue

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Sambo's on McFarland. I saw Coach Bryant there a few times early morning.

There was a beer joint on University just east of Queen City. Can't remember the name of it. Used to see my freshman Chemistry Prof there.

Fountainbleau Apartments was near brand new. Lived there 3-1/2 years. Swimming pool + Sela Ward = Spectacular.

ua86

1st Team
Nov 20, 2009
North Alabama
More in the vein of "You're an old geezer/geezette"
Some of these are easy, some just .... strange

1) 2 for 1 Derailers at the side track - Do that twice and a legally blind guy drives you home (long story, but we made it)
2) The dude that looked and dressed like Mr. T in a sweat suit with lots of chains and jewelry, and carried a club around campus - drove a 60' something gold chevelle or impala
3) $5 pitchers of long island tea at Solomon's
4) Promo for WVUA (campus station) for "Rockin' Rod and Reggae Sam"
5) You went to see Stevie Nicks and Joe Walsh at Colemen - and left after Joe Walsh finished
6) You know who Eric Landis is and saw him at the Booth
7) Did the math to see if it was worth the $5 cover to go to the Booth for 9-12 nickel beer at 11:20, and how many beers you had to drink to break even

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
More in the vein of "You're an old geezer/geezette"
Some of these are easy, some just .... strange

1) 2 for 1 Derailers at the side track - Do that twice and a legally blind guy drives you home (long story, but we made it)
2) The dude that looked and dressed like Mr. T in a sweat suit with lots of chains and jewelry, and carried a club around campus - drove a 60' something gold chevelle or impala
3) $5 pitchers of long island tea at Solomon's
4) Promo for WVUA (campus station) for "Rockin' Rod and Reggae Sam"
5) You went to see Stevie Nicks and Joe Walsh at Colemen - and left after Joe Walsh finished
6) You know who Eric Landis is and saw him at the Booth
7) Did the math to see if it was worth the $5 cover to go to the Booth for 9-12 nickel beer at 11:20, and how many beers you had to drink to break even
Those are good ones. Also, if you drove from Fountainbleau Apartments to Cottondale to buy beer because the Foodbasket there didn't check ID's.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
You remember the name. You know the one. You are what it is. You can not be what it isn't. To be is not. But is not to be? Was it the day, or was it a way? Can you see what there is to see? How many days are there to kick off you ask? I say too many? Too many indeed!

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
You remember the name. You know the one. You are what it is. You can not be what it isn't. To be is not. But is not to be? Was it the day, or was it a way? Can you see what there is to see? How many days are there to kick off you ask? I say too many? Too many indeed!

All phenomena are real in some sense, unreal in some sense, meaningless in some sense, real and meaningless in some sense, unreal and meaningless in some sense, and real and unreal and meaningless in some sense. 4 days to kickoff. Yes too many indeed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.