which bryant book to read???

vdubfanatic

Scout Team
Sep 25, 2005
tuscaloosa
i have been blowing through bama books recently- rammer, crimson nation, crimson storm surge. i am going to take on a bear bryant book next, but didn't know which one(i think there are at least 3) is the most compelling. any input is appreciated. :D

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I just finished "The Last Coach" by Allen Barra. Thought it was well written and takes an "unbiased" look at Coach Bryant and the era in which he coached. It has some great antecdotes as well as pictures.

CrimsonNan

BamaNation Hall of Fame
Oct 19, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Alabama, USA
ldlane said:
I just finished "The Last Coach" by Allen Barra. Thought it was well written and takes an "unbiased" look at Coach Bryant and the era in which he coached. It has some great antecdotes as well as pictures.
I haven't read any of the football books myself, but I gave my grown children for Christmas, "The Last Coach", "Crimson Nation", and "Rammer Jammer".

My son's b'day is Nov. 27th. and my daughter's b'day is today (Dec 28th.) so each got "The Last Coach" for Christmas, and "Crimson Nation" for their b'days, and my daughter-in-law got "Rammer Jammer" for Christmas. (Her b'day is in April.

I'll ask them which one they liked best.

BamaBrit

Aug 31, 2005
London, England
I am halfway through Coach by Keith Dunnavant and I can't put it down. Would be interested in hearing any comparisons to other Bear books as it is the first one I have read/am reading.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Bryant biographies

I completed “The Last Coach” by Allen Barra several days ago; thoroughly enjoyed it.

Considered myself informed on Bryants’ history before reading this book, yet there was plenty of new information. Don’t want to spoil things for someone who might want to read it, but I never knew of a semi-flirtation with the Washington Redskins, or of PWBs’ fascination with California.

Even if you have read one or more other Bryant biographies, I suspect you will be glad to add “The Last Coach” to the list.

ARKIE

BamaNation Citizen
I have read three books about coach bryant

His auto-bio, "Coach" by dunnavant, and just finished the new one. The new one, "the last coach" is my favorite, very informative with more information in it than the other two. I want to get "the legend of bryant" by mickey herscowitz(sp?). I haven't read rammer jammer yet, and some of the other books mentioned I've never heard of. I need to get a copy of crimson slide as well.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
My brother Tom Stoddard wrote a book about Bear's first year at Bama, called Turnaround. It is an easy read and gets into the personalities of the guys who survived the grueling practices.

Probably better for those of us who remember back that far, though.

Ratatosk

Scout Team
Apr 22, 2001
I fully agree with those who have recommended The Last Coach. It is well researched and well written and should be in everyone's library. If you aren't already reading something else this could easily be the best book to start with.

I also think that Bear: The Hard Life and Good Times of Alabama's Coach Bryant by Paul W. Bryant and John Underwood is worth a read.

It's currently out of print but can still be found used. It's not as recent (copyright 1974) or as complete as many of the more polished biographies available. It's not researched. It's just Coach Bryant telling it the way he remembers it. But it is as close as we can now get to the authentic "Voice of the Master" (with a little help from John Underwood).

He talks about lots of interesting places, events and people: Texas A & M, Coach Thomas, Don Hutson, Joe Namath and too much else to list here. There is a particlarly moving tribute to Pat Trammel that is worth reading. "...Pat Trammel was the favorite person in my entire life and I'm going to tell you as much as I can about him."

And the sentence that seems to sum up his life: "I ain't nothing but a winner."

rkwilkerson

All-American
Feb 20, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
I don't read alot, but if I were going to read a book, I would read the book written by Warren St. John "Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer"

I have heard it is a great book, and that you cannot put it down,

-- (rkwilkerson) --

Sensation77

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2006
Gallatin, Tennessee, United States
I just got done reading Rammer Jammer. I read Crimson Nation and The Last Coach before that. All very enjoyable and interesting reads. Rammer Jammer is probably the slower read for some reason. I have a few more Bama books at the house, Crimson Storm Surge is probably next on the list to read.:BigA:

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
I'm currently reading The Last Coach and I have to say, it's very well written. The only part that I lost interest in was a section where he goes into too much detail about the Saturday Evening Post trial. It just seemed to go on and on and on. Luckily, I plodded through it last night and things are back to moving along at a good pace now.

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I recently finished the Last Coach and thought it was a great read, very informative. I have read the older books about Bear and they are good too but the Last Coach is the most current and the title is awesome "The Last Coach" so true.

I keep all my Bama and Bear books in a case along with a few other Bama items that is locked and has a back light and when I turn it on it looks awesome.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
I'm reading Eli's book Bear's Boys now. I have to say it's a little disappointing. There are numerous instances where the facts given are incorrect, and there are pictures with captions that do not match. The book reads like it was hastily put together.

Last edited:

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I'm reading Eli's book Bear's Boys now. I have to say it's a little disappointing. There are numerous instances where the facts given are incorrect, and there are pictures with captions that do not match. The book reads like it was hastily put together.
Just finished this one yesterday. I enjoyed re-reading the stories, but agree that it was slapped together. Much of it is extensive quotes from other books. Also, the point of "here's what Coach Bryant means to me now" was lost in a few of the vignettes. This is one that I enjoyed because it's about some of my favorite players and my childhood hero (CPB); not so much because of any great contribution to Bama football lore & the telling thereof.

Ratatosk

Scout Team
Apr 22, 2001
Coach Bryant’s 1974 autobiography, Bear: My Hard Life & Good Times as Alabama’s Head Coach, co-written with Sports Illustrated’s John Underwood, was out of print for many years but now has been reprinted by Triumph Books. It has a new introduction by John Underwood and includes a 30 minute audio CD. It is a hard cover book so it will make a good addition to your library.

In relation to this book, there is also a rather short two part interview with John Underwood about Coach Bryant which doesn't cover any new ground but makes interesting reading:

http://www.americanheritage.com/blog/200710_10_1266.shtml

http://www.americanheritage.com/blog/200710_10_1268.shtml

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.