Any Tom Clancy fans?

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Trivia...why was there no direct mention of Jack Ryan in Without Remorse.? Part 2. what was the indirect mention of Jack Ryan in Without Remorse.?
If memory serves correct, there's a "scene" in the book where Jack's Dad is either talking to Jack on the phone or is talking to someone about Jack being off in college.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
It appears Clancy's newest novel comes out in December. My excitement is tempered by his use of a co-author.
Dead or Alive, the latest techno-thriller by internationally best-selling author Tom Clancy, is due to be published by Penguin in the US and UK on December 7, according to an April 7 press release. The novel will feature past Clancy characters Jack Ryan, Jack Ryan, Jr., John Clark, Ding Chavez, and Mary Pat Foley in a story about modern-day terrorism.
Written in collaboration with US Navy veteran Grant Blackwood......
Tom Clancy’s 'Dead or Alive' to feature all-star list of Clancy characters - Books, Arts & Entertainment - The Independent

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
Anyone read Dead or Aive yet? I'll be ordering it shortly, but I'm skeptical that it will be as good as Clancy's earlier works.
Bought DOA for my dad for Christmas, and he said it was amazing. He said it was good to read about Mr. Clark again.

I'm a reasonably new Clancy fan myself. I read Executive Orders on recommendation a few months back, and it was hands down one of the best books I've ever read. I read Without Remorse last week, and, again, was so impressed that I bought the entire John Clark/Jack Ryan series in paperback. I'm almost done with Patriot Games now, and then on to Hunt for Red October.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Just finished Dead or Alive. I enjoyed it, but I suspect Clancy did not do the lion's share of the writing. There were some mistakes in the book that were annoying as well. Still love Mr. Clark's character; he does not hesitate.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Just finished Dead or Alive. I enjoyed it, but I suspect Clancy did not do the lion's share of the writing. There were some mistakes in the book that were annoying as well. Still love Mr. Clark's character; he does not hesitate.
I enjoyed it as well. There were some mistakes that an editor should have caught. I wouldn't guess how much Clancy actually wrote; seemed in line with his style for the most part. I'd say this book was better than his last couple of novels.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Clancy has a new one coming out this Summer.

The master of international intrigue and explosive action introduces a new hero for a new era of warfare . . . against a new kind of threat.

Get ready to meet ex-Navy SEAL Max Moore.

A terrorist bombing in Pakistan wipes out Max Moore’s entire CIA team. As the only survivor, the former Navy SEAL plunges deeper into the treacherous tribal lands to find the terrorist cell, but what he discovers there leads him to a much darker conspiracy in an unexpected part of the globe—the US/Mexico border.

Here a drug war rages between the Juarez and Sinaloa cartels. The landscape is strewn with bodies, innocents and drug dealers alike, but is there an even deadlier enemy lurking in background? Into this deadly brew, Moore leads a group of specially selected agents whose daring actions reveal shocking answers and uncover an unholy plan—a strike against the very heart of America.
Amazon.com: Against All Enemies (9780399157301): Tom Clancy, Peter Telep: Books

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
Against All Enemies is excellent. I really, really, really liked it...alot. Didn't care much for Dead or Alive, it was a good book, but not up to Clancy's standards.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Trivia...why was there no direct mention of Jack Ryan in Without Remorse.? Part 2. what was the indirect mention of Jack Ryan in Without Remorse.?
Without Remorse took place duiring the Vietnam era. Jack Ryan was a small child. His father was a cop looking into the pimp murders being comitted by John Kelly (who later becomes John Clark). There is mention iirc of him seeing his young son (Jack Ryan) playing or tucking him into bed in one small scene.

Without Remorse was also my favorite. I've read all the major novels except Locked On, which I will read when it gets to my local used bookstore in paperback.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
The Amazon reviews for Against all Enemies, Dead or Alive, and Locked on were mostly bad with the majority of reviewers saying this was not Clancy.

I wonder if the old man is done....I hope not.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I've read only one Clancey novel (Red Rabbit), and sadly, no one has mentioned it in this thread. It must not be one of his better ones so I'll have to check out some of the ones that're mentioned herein.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I've read only one Clancey novel (Red Rabbit), and sadly, no one has mentioned it in this thread. It must not be one of his better ones so I'll have to check out some of the ones that're mentioned herein.
Red Rabbit is actually one of my favorite books of his. I liked his development of the Russian defector, and it all seems a lot more plausible than some of his later works (how many US cities end up getting nuked by Tom?).

I also really enjoyed "Red Storm Rising". It has nothing to do with Ryan, and is just a one-off, what-if scenario of how the cold war could have become hot (and conventional). It follows different characters through different theaters/levels of command, from "commandos" behind enemy lines to SAC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.