Buy for PS2 or wait for PS3 ?

Crimson Swoosh

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 27, 2006
Knoxville
Guys,

I'm torn on whether or not to buy this years game.......or wait until next year on the PS3. I know they've added a lot of cool stuff to this years that would probably make it worth buying....(although it would be the last ps2 game I would buy). Since the PS3 is going to cost so much...........I was toying with the idea of skipping this years........and waiting for the PS3 version.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Don't know where you live...but around here there are places like GameStop and ElectronicBoutique where you can sell your old games. That said...you can buy the new NCAA game now and then just sell it when you want to get the PS3.

Personally, I went with the Xbox 360 since it's already out...but I didn't own a PS2...so the backwards compatibility thing wasn't a big deal to me as it will be for you. So...if you have the money...I saw go ahead and get the game for your PS2...it's gonna be an awesome game!

RTR!!!

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Sony is over-extending themselves with the PS3. I'm going to try and pick one or more up just to sell it on eBay. :D It will probably be this time or later next year when you start seeing PS3s on the shelves.

Still, $600 for a game console is steep. Yeah, there have been game consoles in the past that were more expensive but they failed and didn't have the kind of competition that Nintendo and MS will give Sony. Throw in a rumored $70-$80 for PS3 games and yuck.

Sony is asking gamers to subsidize their Blu-Ray venture.

If I were you, I'd get a PS2 or Xbox360 and wait for the PS3 to drop in price down the road.

Crimson Swoosh

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 27, 2006
Knoxville
Yep, that steep price definitely concerns me too.

I think I'll buy the PS2 version and then wait and see on the PS3 and then decide between it and the XBOX 360.

Crimson323

All-SEC
Dec 6, 2005
All Over
With the premature release of the X-Box 360 (Wait for Halo 3, then it will take off) and the astronomically expensive price of the PS3, the Nintendo Wii is getting my vote. It has a controller that allows free movement instead of stationary single unit button pad. Less hand cramping and thumb blistering. Personally, I'll be getting the Wii, and waiting for the PS3 to drop in price about $400 or so. I think Sony screwed up by making the price so danged high. They'll suffer for it. Low and slow sales are a sure bet for the PS3. Stick with the PS2 for now.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Crimson323 said:
With the premature release of the X-Box 360 (Wait for Halo 3, then it will take off) and the astronomically expensive price of the PS3, the Nintendo Wii is getting my vote.
Don't have to wait for Halo 3. Gears of War and others are coming this fall.

On top of the price for the PS3, the launch line-up looks as bad or worst as the 360 launch line-up.

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
The price for the PS3 isnt as bad as it seems. You're getting alot. Anyway I'm relatively happy (it locks up sometimes with extended playing times) with my 360 as of now.

Crimson323

All-SEC
Dec 6, 2005
All Over
Queasy1 said:
Don't have to wait for Halo 3. Gears of War and others are coming this fall.

On top of the price for the PS3, the launch line-up looks as bad or worst as the 360 launch line-up.
Sony is trying to cater to the trendy casual crowd, as opposed to the diehard, hardcore, and loyalist gamers that Nintendo has had for years, Sega once had, and Microsoft is rapidly gaining. Who needs a dvd player, an MP3 player, a guitar amp jack, a toaster oven, a printer, a fridge, a patriot missle launcher and gps tracking device all in one? Sure, some people will argue that it is cool to have so much come out of one system, but for video game lovers, who really love video games with a passion, they just won't have time for the rest of the junk that comes with it. On-line and LAN capabilities? Just another neccessary step in advancing the gaming universe that I am comfortable with.

$600 for one system and $60-$100 for a single game? No thanks. It is not worth it, especially with the kind of games Sony releases. Mostly Mature Rated and directed at and played by casual gamers (Sony exclusive games only). Multi-platform games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, and Area 51 were great even for the PS2. But Sony exclusives are not always that great. If Sony has it, Microsoft can do it better, Nintendo can make it more fun.

Sorry to run the PS3 into the ground, I'll eventually buy one, but I am just upset with the price. I am also not opposed to causal gaming, it's what brings in a fair share of the 10 billion dollars the gaming industry earns each year. Really, it's just the price that sets me off.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
bamapride79 said:
The price for the PS3 isnt as bad as it seems. You're getting alot. Anyway I'm relatively happy (it locks up sometimes with extended playing times) with my 360 as of now.
Have you called Xbox360 support? Mine started locking up and they replaced it even though I was just outside of the initial warranty period. Took a little over a week to get a new one. (free shipping both ways)

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
It may be just Oblivion. I've played "NFS Most Wanted" for several hours and had no problem. But Oblivion locks up sometimes and that makes me think its the game mostly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.