Is Xbox 360 worth the money?

playball31580

Suspended
Aug 19, 2005
Wish I went to Tuscaloosa for college
Anybody own a Xbox 360? I'm looking into buying one even though I already have PS2. Was wondering if I should get the core or premimum system even though I'm not interested in the online gameplay thing as I don't have internet service at my new house yet (just got married). I do have HDTV, so that's why I want a new video game system as PS2 is not HDTV compatible as we already know that. I need some input, as I want to buy the new NCAA football game that is coming out from EA Sports.

Roll Tide Roll!

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
This will be moved I'm sure but I'll take the first crack at answering. Yes its worth the money if you're into video games. The visuals are amazing and you're going to have to spend a couple grand to build a PC that can compare. I;ve purchased 3 games so far and have enjoyed all of them. "Oblivion", "DOA4" and "Need for Speed:Most Wanted".

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
In a word: yes.

In more than a word:

Wireless controllers, HD (720p/1080i), Xbox Live. The 360 is just plain nice.

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
Most members know that I am going to school to be a sound designer for video games, and the 360 was probably the biggest reason for that. The newest editions of the video game wars cannot be fully appreciated unless you have a home theatre. I would suggest at least a 720p television and a decent 5.1 surround sound system. HD Video games are absolutly breathtaking. It is like someone is slapping you in the face with color. I really enjoy the fact that the games are becoming more like movies, but you control where the sound is comming from and you control the motives of the games.

If you think spending $399 for a premium system is alot, just wait for the $600 Sony PS3. I spend alot of quality time infront of my 360 and am kinda upset with the lack of titles, but will be thoroughly enriched with a great arsenal of games come this Nov.
Besides who wouldnt want to play AU vs. UA in HD in the middle of the offseason?
NCAA Football 2007 hits the shelves on July 18!
I hope my first game against the barn turns into "Punt Auburn Punt!"

If you have any questions on a game that you want to purchase, ask me first. I have played 28 and can give you a pretty decent summary and tell you if $60 is worth spending on the title!

Last edited:

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
runtheoption22 said:
how's the DVD quality on the XBOX 360?
That's a question I'd like to know the answer to also. Also, does anyone know what it looks like on a standard t.v.? Is it worth it without an HDTV?

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
BEATtutorsee said:
That's a question I'd like to know the answer to also. Also, does anyone know what it looks like on a standard t.v.? Is it worth it without an HDTV?
The DVD quality seems to be pretty good to me. It's just as good as any other normal DVD player. It doesn't play HD-DVDs or anything, yet, but it plays normal DVDs just fine. It uses HD component cables to connect to your TV if your TV has those kinds of inputs. And I would highly suggest having an HDTV before buying the Xbox 360...or get one very soon afterwards. All of the 360 games were made to be played in HD and on a widescreen TV. Yes, it means having to spend $1,000 to $3,000...so you have to ask yourself if you think it's worth it. Remember that you HDTV can also be used to watch the Tide in the future as well.

RTR!!!

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
theBIGyowski said:
The DVD quality seems to be pretty good to me. It's just as good as any other normal DVD player. It doesn't play HD-DVDs or anything, yet, but it plays normal DVDs just fine. It uses HD component cables to connect to your TV if your TV has those kinds of inputs. And I would highly suggest having an HDTV before buying the Xbox 360...or get one very soon afterwards. All of the 360 games were made to be played in HD and on a widescreen TV. Yes, it means having to spend $1,000 to $3,000...so you have to ask yourself if you think it's worth it. Remember that you HDTV can also be used to watch the Tide in the future as well.

RTR!!!
thanks for the input!

I'm considering getting the 360, even though I don't have an HDTV yet....though I do have a pretty good widescreen TV as is. I just have a reason to believe that my PS2 is about to bite the dust.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
runtheoption22 said:
how's the DVD quality on the XBOX 360?
It is decent enough. It's probably not as good as a high quality stand-alone DVD player though. One of the nifty things is that if you have a VGA input on your HDTV, you can get the VGA A/V pack for the 360 and it will upscale your DVDs to 720p or 1080i.

As to whether the 360 is worth the money. Oh yeah. It is. And not just for the games you buy in the store but for the Xbox Live Arcade games you can purchase as well...Geometry Wars, Zuma, Uno (yes...freakin UNO).

The release lineup this fall is going to be even better from Gears of War to old school Arcade releases like Street Fighter II, Frogger, Contra, and Galaga.

If you have a Windows Media Center XP PC....even more worth it than everything I mentioned above.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Here is a good thread from the TeamXbox.com forums showing released and upcoming games.

Gears of War

Rainbow Six: Las Vegas

Too Human

Forza Motosports 2

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
I've had the 360 since February and use a 36 inch standard TV. The 360 is simply the best looking console out there right now. It looks great and you will notice a difference even in standard def (if you have s-video on your standard tv I'd use that). Playing movies on it is no better or worse than any other regular dvd player tho. If you wanna use it to watch dvds I would recommend getting the remote control...as the wireless controllers turn off automatically after several 20 mins or so of inactivity. The 360 will play pretty much all recordable media types for music and dvd movies (cdr, cdrw, dvd-r, dvd+r,etc).

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
I've got a question for those that have the 360. I have DSL with Bellsouth, and I've never networked or anything so I was wondering if I could use the Westell 6100(modem/router) that I've got, buy a switch and connect the Xbox for online gaming that way? Also, does it have to be any particular switch, because I was thinking of getting a D-link or a Linksys? Does anyone have a similar type setup, and if so how's it working for you?

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
BEATtutorsee said:
I've got a question for those that have the 360. I have DSL with Bellsouth, and I've never networked or anything so I was wondering if I could use the Westell 6100(modem/router) that I've got, buy a switch and connect the Xbox for online gaming that way? Also, does it have to be any particular switch, because I was thinking of getting a D-link or a Linksys? Does anyone have a similar type setup, and if so how's it working for you?
Are you going to hook the 360 up via ethernet cables or go wirelessly?

Right now I have a Linksys WRT54G hooked up to my modem in my office. My main PC/Media PC are hooked up to the router. The 360 sits downstairs in my livingroom with the Xbox360 Wireless Adaptor plugged in. I had tried a Linksys Gaming Adaptor (cheaper) but it was a PITA and I eventually returned it and got the 360 adaptor instead.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Queasy1 said:
Are you going to hook the 360 up via ethernet cables or go wirelessly?

Right now I have a Linksys WRT54G hooked up to my modem in my office. My main PC/Media PC are hooked up to the router. The 360 sits downstairs in my livingroom with the Xbox360 Wireless Adaptor plugged in. I had tried a Linksys Gaming Adaptor (cheaper) but it was a PITA and I eventually returned it and got the 360 adaptor instead.
Well the distance between the PC and where I want to put the Xbox isn't all that far, so I thought I'd go wired with the ethernet cables.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
BEATtutorsee said:
Well the distance between the PC and where I want to put the Xbox isn't all that far, so I thought I'd go wired with the ethernet cables.
Then just get a non-wired router. Really simple to hook up. Linksys or D-Link is fine.

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
i do not have a HDTV but I have seen the differences in gaming.
also if you live in an apartment and dont want to wake up the neighbors
check out this webpage. www.trittonusa.com

those headphones while pricy are amazing.
its better than dropping a 500 bucks on a 5.1 system

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.