Console Wars 2005/2006/2007?

Crimson323

All-SEC
Dec 6, 2005
All Over
In October of 2000, the PS2 hit stores with overwhelming sales. In November 2001, the Gamecube and X-Box hit stores with sales that reached just over Nintendo and Microsoft's expectations. The X-Box was the sleeper of the three. With the help of a little game called Halo, the X-Box became a worldwide obsession. The Gamecube didn't peak until the release of Metroid Prime and the price drop to $100 bucks. It is safe to say the order of finish in the Console wars of 2000/2001 was 1.PS2 - 2.X-Box - 3.Gamecube.

This past November, Microsoft release the X-Box 360 with no decent launch titles to speak of. Halo 3 is no set to be released until 2007, and Gears of War is the only other title that seems to be getting fans excited about buying the 360. Sure, the release of NCAA 2007 and the upcoming Madden 2007 should increase sales of the console, but was it released too soon? The Sony PS3 launch date continues to be pushed back. The $600 price tag, to most gamers who have no console loyalties, is a bit steep. With the early, and possibly premature, release of the 360, and the constant date changing of the PS3 the Nintendo Wii seems to be the sleeper hit in this console war.

The Nintendo Gamecube lacked one vey important thing when launching a Nintendo console....A Super Mario Bros. game. Super Smash Bros. Melee and Luigi's Mansion, two very good games I might add, were enough to get sales off of the ground, but not enough to make the other consoles budge. The Nintendo Wii (formerly the Revolution), set to be released in Septmeber 2006, will be launching a Mario title called Super Mario Galaxy (working title) and the 3rd installment of Metroid Prime. The Super Smash Bros. series second sequel, Super Smash Bros. Brawl (a follow up to the original SSB and SSB Melee) is set to be launched in 2007.

What has most people dreading the purchase of the Wii, are the controllers. A wireless controller that has two seperate pads connected by a cord. The left hand control acts as a thumbstick, the right hand pad acts as, well, a thumb pad. Checkout www.nintendo.com to find out more about the system and the controller. Not to fear though. Nintendo offers wireless controllers that are similar to the standard control pads that gamers are used to.

X-Box 360 was launched in 2005. Nintendo Wii is being launched Sept. of 2006. The PS3 will be released sometime in late 2006, early 2007.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Crimson323 said:
X-Box 360 was launched in 2005. Nintendo Wii is being launched Sept. of 2006. The PS3 will be released sometime in late 2006, early 2007.
Actually, the Wii is looking like an October launch and the PS3 will launch in November.

Crimson323

All-SEC
Dec 6, 2005
All Over
Queasy1 said:
Actually, the Wii is looking like an October launch and the PS3 will launch in November.
Thanks. I have been behind by a couple of weeks. I used to have a subscription to Gamepro magazine, about a yea ago. I only go by what I read on ign.com and other sites. Last I heard, the Wii was coming out in Sept. October is actually better. It's closer to Christmas and it give Nintendo time to work out the bugs. As for the PS3, I'm not incredibly thrilled.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Crimson323 said:
Thanks. I have been behind by a couple of weeks. I used to have a subscription to Gamepro magazine, about a yea ago. I only go by what I read on ign.com and other sites. Last I heard, the Wii was coming out in Sept. October is actually better. It's closer to Christmas and it give Nintendo time to work out the bugs. As for the PS3, I'm not incredibly thrilled.
I'll be thrilled with the PS3 if I can pick up like 3-5 of them and sell them on eBay. ;)

I did that with the Xbox 360 last year. Bought 5, sold 4 which paid for mine plus some games. I probably won't be keeping a PS3 though.

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
Wii is not the sleeper at all.
This is going to be the ugliest console war EVER!
If you check on predicted sales of the Wii in Asia, it is forecasted to blast away all the systems!!!
The forecast globally is shadowy depending on how you look at it.
If Wii is what it is and it catches on like I think it will PS3 will be doomed.
I dont know if it will catch on because lazy @$$ gamers will complain about their arms getting tired and such.
I personally dont see paddles being around much in the next next gen, so it will be a battle of what kind of innovative ideas for paddles will determine who wins the next next war.
I personally think that clothing will, in the next 20 years, have motion sensors.
and with all this healthy lifestyle crap going around it will become HEALTHY to play video games.

Did anyone here about this team of doctors trying to prove that video games are addictive?
Just another reason to dope us up into cattle for the NWO.
How did people survive High blood pressure and anxiety and depression 70 years ago when all there was was advil.
All of these dieseases are imaginary and we can survive without some "Miracle Pill" with dramatic side effects that cause depression that requires you to be on another "Miracle Pill"

But thats another story!
Just let me enjoy my dang video game and quit trying to sell me some doper pill!
HAHA!!!

Last edited:

Crimson323

All-SEC
Dec 6, 2005
All Over
Wii, a sleeper? One would suggest (me) after the last console war. But taking top spot or even second is not out of the question. If the Wii turns out to be a mega hit, I won't be surprised one bit. I hope with the priority targets of families and children, that the Wii will translate like Disney films. $$$

Nintendo has also targeted mature audiences with some games for the Wii, some like Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and the multi-platform True Crime Streets of LA for the GC. Plus they have a Super Mario Bros. title this time, hopefully at launch time. SM Sunshine wasn't what I would call a superior console performer, and didn't fit into the SMB storyline. It was more of a filler game.

The Nintendo Wii is the system I will be saving up for to buy. I'll put back about a $1000 for the system, games, controllers, and if necessary, memory cards (I am sure they are required to save games).

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Crimson323 said:
Wii, a sleeper? One would suggest (me) after the last console war. But taking top spot or even second is not out of the question. If the Wii turns out to be a mega hit, I won't be surprised one bit. I hope with the priority targets of families and children, that the Wii will translate like Disney films. $$$

Nintendo has also targeted mature audiences with some games for the Wii, some like Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and the multi-platform True Crime Streets of LA for the GC. Plus they have a Super Mario Bros. title this time, hopefully at launch time. SM Sunshine wasn't what I would call a superior console performer, and didn't fit into the SMB storyline. It was more of a filler game.

The Nintendo Wii is the system I will be saving up for to buy. I'll put back about a $1000 for the system, games, controllers, and if necessary, memory cards (I am sure they are required to save games).
The Wii finishing ahead of the 360 or PS3 would be a surprise to me, I just don't see it happening, at least not here in the U.S. maybe in Asia. The controller idea is pretty neat, I'll give them that.

Mav^

3rd Team
Sep 11, 2005
The Wii will not even come close to the PS2 or 360 here in the U.S. There is name brand recognition working against Nintendo. "Oh, Nintendo makes crappy games for kids. Gamecube sucked." That will transfer into next-gen sales. In adddition, the Wii does not profess to be a true next-gen console. The graphics capabilities are just marginally better than the Gamecube. That will not work in this day when graphics are king. People will buy the 360 and PS3 because it offers next-gen graphics.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
The one thing that Wii and Nintendo has going for it is that it is not trying to be a next-gen console. Nintendo started a new initiative with the Nintendo DS that they call "Blue Water". Basically, they are trying to find a place in the market where there is not alot of competition (place in the market where there is competition being called "Red Water"). The Nintendo DS has been wildly more successful than the much more powerful and feature-filled Sony PSP. Part of the reason for that is because the DS is filled with fun, quirky, and uncomplicated games that appeal to a broad market and not just to hardcore gamers (see Nintendogs, Brain Age, etc) along with a relatively cheap price. They are going for the same thing with the Wii.

If Nintendo can price the Wii at between $200 and $250 and have a good and deep library of games (something the Gamecube lacked), the Wii could be wildly successful.

Still, I don't see one console completely dominating this gen like last gen. Probably will be closer to a 33/33/33 split with the Wii and the PS3 dominating Japan and the 360 being slightly more popular in North America and Europe.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
I think the Wii will be successful just because it is different. The low price will really help sales here in America. For the most part, price doesn't matter in the Asian market. Brand loyalty is king there. It will be interesting to see how the Wii is going to compete with the PS3 in Asia. With the 360 taking a firm hold of North America and Europe...and the Wii in Asia...and HD-DVD becoming the preferred HD media...Sony could find itself in a horrible downward spiral. I'm not saying it will be as bad as Sega...but you never know.

Personally...I own a 360...probably won't buy a PS3 simply because most of the games I would want on the PS3 will also come out on the 360. I will probably get a Wii though...if the price is between $200 and $250...mostly because I grew up on a Nintendo...and the controller looks really cool. We'll see how this all pans in this time next year.

Crimson323

All-SEC
Dec 6, 2005
All Over
The Wii is my system of choice. The 360 is going to be a system I will be proud to own. The PS3, as mentioned above, has great games, but they are usually multi-platform games that you can obtain for the rival consoles. MGS4 is the only game, besides the Final Fantasy Franchise that will really get the PS3 fanboys pumped. Any more, 'cause I forgot?

Gears of War and Halo 3 are the games to beat this time around. The games to be are Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Like I said before, the savior of the PS3 will be MGS4 and the FF Franchise.

Last edited:

MDBFUNFOREVER

Scout Team
Nov 21, 2004
Ok...it has been a while since I have been on here, but I like this topic. I love gaming I have done it for years and have owned just about every game system in the last 20 years. After watching E3 and seeing the presentations made by each system I can honestly say that the Wii is the one I am most excited about. People can complain about the controller all they want, but do you remember the first time you picked up a PS2 controller with the analog sticks or the Nintendo 64 and played Mario 64. This system is what true next gen should be about...gaming. It isn't about HD (eventhough the graphics look pretty good). It isn't about being able to play the latest dvd format. It is about gameplay. It is the chance to have fun again playing games and not getting yelled at by the fan boys calling you a "noob." Do you remember the first time you played Super Mario Bros? How many times have you beaten the game? Would you play it again if someone gave you the chance to? Nintendo is giving you that chance with a large back catalog of games from their old systems. They are also getting gamers as a whole off our butts and making us work during a game. We have to actually physically reload the shot gun in Red Steel and dodge bullets, not to mention sword fight. And as for those of us Star Wars fans, we can begin salivating now since Nintendo and Lucas Arts have stated that they will be working on an exclusive lightsaber fighting game. I love my 360 and will continue playing until the next xbox comes out, but I will also enjoy getting off my butt and actually playing tennis, passing the football in Madden, aiming and shooting at the screen yet able to move around freely, and able to play some of the best back catalog of games ever created. I know I sound like I work for Nintendo right now, but I think that Nintendo is doing what they have always done well, which is make games that are enjoyable for all ages and come up with new ways to present those games. You remember the old track & field game with the numbered pad you ran on? How bout the Glove? Some ideas work and some don't but I know Nintendo is doing their best to take back the US market and the Wii is a step in the right direction.

Crimson323

All-SEC
Dec 6, 2005
All Over
MDBFUNFOREVER said:
Ok...it has been a while since I have been on here, but I like this topic. I love gaming I have done it for years and have owned just about every game system in the last 20 years. After watching E3 and seeing the presentations made by each system I can honestly say that the Wii is the one I am most excited about. People can complain about the controller all they want, but do you remember the first time you picked up a PS2 controller with the analog sticks or the Nintendo 64 and played Mario 64. This system is what true next gen should be about...gaming. It isn't about HD (eventhough the graphics look pretty good). It isn't about being able to play the latest dvd format. It is about gameplay. It is the chance to have fun again playing games and not getting yelled at by the fan boys calling you a "noob." Do you remember the first time you played Super Mario Bros? How many times have you beaten the game? Would you play it again if someone gave you the chance to? Nintendo is giving you that chance with a large back catalog of games from their old systems. They are also getting gamers as a whole off our butts and making us work during a game. We have to actually physically reload the shot gun in Red Steel and dodge bullets, not to mention sword fight. And as for those of us Star Wars fans, we can begin salivating now since Nintendo and Lucas Arts have stated that they will be working on an exclusive lightsaber fighting game. I love my 360 and will continue playing until the next xbox comes out, but I will also enjoy getting off my butt and actually playing tennis, passing the football in Madden, aiming and shooting at the screen yet able to move around freely, and able to play some of the best back catalog of games ever created. I know I sound like I work for Nintendo right now, but I think that Nintendo is doing what they have always done well, which is make games that are enjoyable for all ages and come up with new ways to present those games. You remember the old track & field game with the numbered pad you ran on? How bout the Glove? Some ideas work and some don't but I know Nintendo is doing their best to take back the US market and the Wii is a step in the right direction.
Nice post. The nostalgia hit me and almost brought a tear to my eye. The Wii is going to be a best selling system. I have high hopes for our friends at Nintendo. Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto is probably the greatest asset to video games in the last 25 years. His system is cutting edge and the controller is groundbreaking in terms of how a system and controller should be used. Backwards compatibility for the NES, SNES, and 64 plus the all new line up of next gen games gives me chills knowing that I can purchase the Wii console for only about $250 to $300. Sony is progressive, but in a negative corporate takeover way. Nintendo is progressive in a way that allows the fans to feel comfortable. Old characters, new graphics and functions. Nintendo is like home, in that it is familliar territory no matter where you venture. Mario started out dodging barrels thrown by DK, now they share a fighting game together with a butt load of other Nintendo characters that the fans know and love. "Tony Cipriotti" isn't exactly a loveable character, and being a bad*** is overrated anyway.

As for the controller, if you don't like it, the Wii has wireless pad type controllers that resemble the SNES controller, but with analog controls. It's just Nintendo's way of saying, "We're already there, but if you aren't up to speed, then here is a controller to tide you over until you arrive."

I just love Nintendo all around. Microsoft is great, Sega had a good thing (especially with the Saturn, the most underrated system ever) and Sony is alright, but their attitude about how game "should be" sometimes bothers the crap out of me. RTR, God Bless Dixie, and Long Live Nintendo!

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
I Just bought the book, Xbox 360 Uncloaked from Amazon. (Please order it through the link on this site -- for the benefit of Admin.) It is a great read on the development of the 360 while competing against Sony and Nintendo. The book is more about business rather than games but details the strategy that Microsoft is using to conquer home entertainment, from developer support to Xbox Live. I guess you can tell what my bias is. There will probably be another company exiting the console war for this next generation, and it probably won't be "the Borg/Evil Empire." :eek2:

A review of the book may be found here:
http://www.twitchguru.com/2006/05/08/xbox_360_uncloaked/

Last edited:

Crimson323

All-SEC
Dec 6, 2005
All Over
RhodeIslandRed said:
I Just bought the book, Xbox 360 Uncloaked from Amazon. (Please order it through the link on this site -- for the benefit of Admin.) It is a great read on the development of the 360 while competing against Sony and Nintendo. The book is more about business rather than games but details the strategy that Microsoft is using to conquer home entertainment, from developer support to Xbox Live. I guess you can tell what my bias is. There will probably be another company exiting the console war for this next generation, and it probably won't be "the Borg/Evil Empire." :eek2:

A review of the book may be found here:
http://www.twitchguru.com/2006/05/08/xbox_360_uncloaked/
Bias? Or Loyalty? I am a loyal Nintendo Head, but not a fan boy. I enjoy the other consoles as well. As far as another company exiting or entering the fray, I am not certain that it will be anytime soon. Nintnedo, Microsoft, and Sony seem to have a strong hold on the market.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.