You Make the Call - Sept. 5

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
During a play, an official notices a receiver going down field and only one snap on each side of his chinstraps are fastened - the others hang loose. What should the official do?

kfo9494

Suspended
Jun 19, 2001
Gadsden, Alabama
If it is after the snap, then NOTHING during the play. Since you did not see it before the play it could have been unsnapped by a hit, illegal contact or equipment failure.
>

After the play I would tell the player to make sure the straps are snapped.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Good call kfo. Furthermore, I would look at him before the next play and if the strap was not snapped then I would flag him for an equipment violation.

Tidehawk, you must have watched the Fla St/Miami game. The linebacker for Fla State whose helmet kept coming off needed to snap his chin strap. If he did, the helmet would have stayed on.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Good call kfo. Furthermore, I would look at him before the next play and if the strap was not snapped then I would flag him for an equipment violation.

Tidehawk, you must have watched the Fla St/Miami game. The linebacker for Fla State whose helmet kept coming off needed to snap his chin strap. If he did, the helmet would have stayed on.
So, in high school there is a penalty for something like this? College football only enforces through the loss of a timeout...

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
You hit the nail on the head, kfo. The reason a foul would not be called is that it is possible for the snap to come undone during the play. And telling the player to snap his chinstrap is just good preventative officiating.

Now, NY, here where you come in. If a player has been warned and does not correct an equipment problem, there is a foul involved - failure to properly wear equipment would be called just prior to the snap and result in a delay of game penalty (5 yds).

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
Man, I have got to get back into the habit of looking over on this board early in the week! :eek2: Not that I know the answers, but I have fun trying!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.