Hoover the "Best" High School Team in 35 Years

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
Agreed, that was a machine! Numerous D1 prospects not to mention the USA Today National Championship. Unfortunately they were a pipeline to the Barn.
Lectron Williams, Kevin Lee, Rosevelt Patterson, and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I saw them play in the state title game against a Stan White led Berry team. It was the most awesome football team I have ever seen. Vigor won 40-something to 6 and it could easily have been in the 70's. Lectron didn't even play.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Didnt Vestavia Hills dominate for a good many of years before Hoover was the powerhouse? I thought i remembered them being pretty good
I know this is a very old thread but I was bored during the offseason. Vestavia Hills did have a dominate program during the 90's. No, we did not win 4 or 5 state titles in a row but we did beat Hoover every year. My senior year in '99 we beat Hoover badly, I think it was 45-13. We beat them like a drum every year. And yes Vestavia may have ONLY two state titles but I would consider that pretty good. Vestavia has finished runner up twice as well. Someone also eluded to our baseball program being dominant. Hoover's football program as a way to go to match our baseball program. We had 7 state titles in a row and 9 state titles in 10 years. The one year we didn't win it we were runner up, and one of those years we won the national title. Rush Propst is a terrific coach, Hoover was nothing before he took over. Sammy Dunn (our baseball coach during the streak) however was a better coach and a much better person. Anyhow, as a Vestavia student you should be very proud of your school. It is one of the top academic schools in the state and that is the thing we take most pride in. Well that's just my rant on the Vestavia-Hoover rivalry. ;)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I know this is a very old thread but I was bored during the offseason. Vestavia Hills did have a dominate program during the 90's. No, we did not win 4 or 5 state titles in a row but we did beat Hoover every year. My senior year in '99 we beat Hoover badly, I think it was 45-13. We beat them like a drum every year. And yes Vestavia may have ONLY two state titles but I would consider that pretty good. Vestavia has finished runner up twice as well. Someone also eluded to our baseball program being dominant. Hoover's football program as a way to go to match our baseball program. We had 7 state titles in a row and 9 state titles in 10 years. The one year we didn't win it we were runner up, and one of those years we won the national title. Rush Propst is a terrific coach, Hoover was nothing before he took over. Sammy Dunn (our baseball coach during the streak) however was a better coach and a much better person. Anyhow, as a Vestavia student you should be very proud of your school. It is one of the top academic schools in the state and that is the thing we take most pride in. Well that's just my rant on the Vestavia-Hoover rivalry. ;)

Well here is my rant not that I am trying to start anything. Since I have been at Hoover (2004) we (Class of 2008) have never lost to Vestavia(or even any of our rivals Spain Park or Homewood) although the games have been close but they always have come up short execpt for 2005 that was a blowout. Yes Vestavia is always year in year out a power in football, but Hoover has gotten more recognition for their dominance in football you know Two-A-Days, 4 state titles in a row, being #1 for a short period of time, playing on ESPN, going to state 7 years in a row and having a total of 7 state titles. And the baseball stuff well that is a different story. Good luck Vestavia for 2007, one more year and we will have bragging rights forever!!!!!:)

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Well here is my rant not that I am trying to start anything. Since I have been at Hoover (2004) we (Class of 2008) have never lost to Vestavia(or even any of our rivals Spain Park or Homewood) although the games have been close but they always have come up short execpt for 2005 that was a blowout. Yes Vestavia is always year in year out a power in football, but Hoover has gotten more recognition for their dominance in football you know Two-A-Days, 4 state titles in a row, being #1 for a short period of time, playing on ESPN, going to state 7 years in a row and having a total of 7 state titles. And the baseball stuff well that is a different story. Good luck Vestavia for 2007, one more year and we will have bragging rights forever!!!!!:)
I'm with you here, Coach Propst is an amazing coach and what he has done is remarkable. I can't even begin to argue that Hoover has had our number the past few years, that much is obvious. But kids at Vestavia need to understand that it wasn't always like this and won't be like this forever either. Eventually Propst will be lured away to greater riches and a chance to compete at the next level. But Coach Anderson is not going anywhere anytime soon.

And speaking of Coach Anderson, Propst gets a lot of credit but what about Anderson? I think it was clear in two games last season that Hoover had much more talent than Vestavia, yet Vestavia was a play or two away from winning both of those games. It speaks a lot to Anderson's coaching ability that he was able to keep the Rebels in both those games. As far as on the field coaching ability goes I will take Anderson over Propst anyday, he does far more with far less than any coach out there. But I will tip my hat to the dynasty that he has built, but let us remember that Vestavia still wins out in the SAT scores and property value. ;)

P.S. If y'all never losing to Vestavia during your four years gives you braggin' rights forever, then I guess I have braggin' rights forever as well. 1995-1999: Vestavia Rebels 4-0 against Hoover. :)

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Oh yes Anderson is just as good of a coach if it was not for Hoover or Propst then Vestavia would still be dominating football up here. Yes both of those games Hoover could have lost with the difference of one play, I was there to see both of them, yes Rush could be lured away form bigger riches but there is something I know that you may not, he wants to coach his son(Class of '09) and his nephew (Class of '10) before he leaves and if he does then they can just hire Bill Clark (Prattville, a good friend of Propst) or Todd Watson (Foley but was at Hoover first) or some other good coach. I will say this though from my experience Vestavia is a very wothey adversary, they are not a team to be screwed around with, they are no doubt capable of beating Hoover and always bring their A game on Hoover.

Yeh it does cost more to live in Vestavia then Hoover but I do not know anything about the SAT scores matter of fact Hoover does not do the SAT, they do something else.

Last edited:

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I do not know anything about the SAT scores matter of fact Hoover does not do the SAT, they do something else.
I don't think that the high school you attend really makes a difference in which college admissions test you will take. The college that you wish to attend is more likely to be the deciding factor. Some students also may find one gives more weight to subject areas in which they are more skilled or knowledgeable.

Most colleges take both the SAT and the ACT. It seems that more kids take the ACT (at least from my knowledge) than the SAT, but I don't think that it really matters for the majority of colleges. If one high school appears to push students more toward one or the other test, it might be that history has shown students from that school to score better on that particular test. There's also a possibility that one test might be offered more frequently or at a more convenient site.

pvilleguru

1st Team
Feb 2, 2007
That maybe true but it is only a matter of time before he starts to get offers from other schools.
no doubt. however, i have heard him say a few times that the only reason he would leave prattville would be to go to the college ranks. he would be a pretty good defensive coach. i've heard that saban offered him the job that pruitt took, but clark wanted to have an on-the-field coaching position. i heard that early in rush's and bill's careers, they coach on the same team as offensive and defensive coordinators. that had to be a heck of a team.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
no doubt. however, i have heard him say a few times that the only reason he would leave prattville would be to go to the college ranks. he would be a pretty good defensive coach. i've heard that saban offered him the job that pruitt took, but clark wanted to have an on-the-field coaching position. i heard that early in rush's and bill's careers, they coach on the same team as offensive and defensive coordinators. that had to be a heck of a team.
That was back in the day some 15-25 years ago. He was also at Hoover back in 1999 or 2000 or both or whenever. It was a good team, thats how he got the job for Prattville.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.