Hoover the "Best" High School Team in 35 Years

Boclive

All-American
Sep 6, 2002
I read a quote in SI that said Hoover has probably the best high school team in Alabama in the past 35 years. Seemed like an arbitrary statement to me, impossible to substantiate.

My question is this; what team around 1971 was a 4A powerhouse in the state of Alabama?

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Sidney Lanier won it in '66, '67, & '68.

Robert E Lee won it the next 2 years

Decatur won it in '71

Banks the next 2 years

Then Homewood in '74

Then Mountain Brook two years in a row.

In other words, no team has even come close the what Hoover has put together the last 6 years (5 champions). This year, they are almost assured their 6th in 7 years. That is just amazing considering the turnover in HS football...

Jimbo4Bama

Scout Team
Sep 14, 2006
Didnt Vestavia Hills dominate for a good many of years before Hoover was the powerhouse? I thought i remembered them being pretty good

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Didnt Vestavia Hills dominate for a good many of years before Hoover was the powerhouse? I thought i remembered them being pretty good
Vestavia used to have a dominant baseball program, but I don't think they've ever had a football program that's come close to what Hoover is doing. Like alatider said in a previous post, Hoover is as much like a small college as it is a high school.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Hoover's football team gets the most attention but their entire boys and girls athletic programs have been almost as dominant the past several years.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
You will get no argument from me that Hoover is the dominant FB program. But I would like to ask one question: would you want your son to play for Rush Propst?

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
You will get no argument from me that Hoover is the dominant FB program. But I would like to ask one question: would you want your son to play for Rush Propst?
I don't know enough to answer. I played for Don Woods. He was very tough in front of the team, and very thoughtful one on one. Propst might treat his players differently as individuals...

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Did anyone catch the interview on Rick and Bubba with Propst? They even had former players calling in defending him saying he isnt as bad as they make him out to be on tv. Thats what happens with editing.

I didn't catch that, but I don't listen to Rick and Bubba. Can't stand those guys, and that's before you factor the in the auburn love.

I would have liked to have heard that, though. The only impression I have of him is exactly like you said and I'd like to hear him speak outside of that dumb "Two-a-days" show.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.