You Make the Call - Sept 19

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
I'm going to throw a 2-parter at y'all today:

a) The Mayberry Bears are playing the Mt. Pilot Tigers. The qb for the Bears throws a forward pass that hits the line judge and pops straight up. The WR for the Bears catches the ricochet and runs into the end zone. Is it a TD for Mayberry?

b) Same Game - the qb for Mt. Pilot throws a forward pass but it hits Otis the town drunk, who has staggered onto the field. The WR for the Tigers catches the ricochet and runs into the end zone. Is it a TD for Mt. Pilot?

BTW, I bet you can't guess my favorite TV program. :)

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
A: Touchdown - the ball is not dead when it touches an official. As a live ball, it can be caught by either team. Standard forward pass rules apply.

B: Dead ball - My guess for remediation - Return the ball to the LOS and replay the down...

Jim Morris

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Athens,AL
ps.tidefans.com
1. Touchdown: as stated above, official is part of the playing field if positioned within the field of play.

2. No Touchdown: a whistle should have blown the play dead when Otis stumbled on to the field, if not, it should have been blown when the ball hit Otis. In this situation, you would rule as if it were an inadvertant whistle. Throw bean bag and spot ball from that point. (Other option would be to throw the bean bag at Otis) ;)

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Y'all are getting good! It is a TD in the first one - the official is part of the playing field. No TD in the second one. This situation would be treated like an inadvertant whistle - the down would be replayed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.