LINK - High School Officiating

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
I am not sure what to think. On the one hand, I like the idea of having seasoned officials calling HS games. On the other hand, some schools might not be able to afford to pay more. A part of me thinks that officials should be volunteers, but then you get unqualified officials.

Question - do most schools turn a profit from their FB programs in Alabama? If so, why not raise the rate? Is it being discussed?

I don't even know if officials are paid up here. I'll have to look into it...

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
NY, I can only speak for our school but I would venture to say it is like this at most if not all schools. Football is the cash machine for all of the rest of the sports - we could not have a wrestling or volleyball team if we did not have funds generated from football. The rate of pay for officials - and that is for all sports, not just FB - is set by the Alabama High School Athletic Association. Alabama is by far the lowest paying state around - all of the surrounding states pay on average $15 - 20 higher than Alabama. FB officials get paid $55 per varsity contest - compare that to what GA officials are getting paid in the article.

Now, as far as getting "volunteers" to officiate games - it will never happen. We are losing seasoned and young officials every year, because it is not worth the money that you are paid. Also, it is a lot more stressful with player and coach attitudes in the current day. Let me give you an example: we have the Sweet Water contract, and that school is almost to the Mississippi line. If we work that game,we meet in Montgomery and leave at about 3:330 PM for a 7:00 game. I usually will get home form Sweet Water between 12:30 and 1:00 AM. Now, that is a lot of time for $55 - I guarantee you are not going to get many people to do that for that amount of $, much less do it on a volunteer basis. Basically, you have to love the game to officiate - you dang sure don't do it for the money

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.