You Make the Call - Sept. 26

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
This is a situation from a game last week:

Team Green comes to the line and gets in an I formation with 2 tight ends and a back as a split end. All seven lineman get into a 3-point stance - after one second, one of the tight ends gets out of his stance, shifts five yards out, and gets back into a 3 point stance on the line well prior to the snap. Is this legal, and if not, what would be the foul committed?

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
If the Tight End was covered on the LOS by the Split End, he cannot move once in his three-point stance. Illegal Shift? 5 yard penalty, replay the down.

If he was on the side in which he was not covered, he can move as long as he is set before the shift and again before the ball is snapped...

Jim Morris

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Athens,AL
ps.tidefans.com
I'm with KanBama, it's an illegal procedure b/c the TE became set when he entered the 3 point stance. (I didn't even look in the funny book, so I hope I'm right.) Back 'em up 5 and replay the down.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
NY, let me clarify - the TE is not covered up - the split end is off the line of scrimmage.
Perhaps the rules are different in HS. It is my understanding that, in the NCAA and NFL, an uncovered TE can set, then move, as long as he resets before the snap. Only a covered TE is restricted.

IOW, I don't think that there is a penalty if the SE is behind the LOS, as the TE is not covered. But I have been wrong before. In fact - well, you don't want to hear about that... :biggrin2:

BTW, I thought that a Split End was, by definition, on the LOS. That is why he is called an "End"...

Last edited:

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
Perhaps the rules are different in HS. It is my understanding that, in the NCAA and NFL, an uncovered TE can set, then move, as long as he resets before the snap. Only a covered TE is restricted.

IOW, I don't think that there is a penalty if the SE is behind the LOS, as the TE is not covered. But I have been wrong before. In fact - well, you don't want to hear about that... :biggrin2:

BTW, I thought that a Split End was, by definition, on the LOS. That is why he is called an "End"...
I'm going to go with NYBamaFan on this one.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Interesting that you ask this question now Tidehawk. We discussed this at our association meeting last week. There are two keys here. First, is his hand "on or near the ground" and second, as noted by NYBamaFan, is whether he is covered. If his hand is not on or near the ground, he can shift. If his hand is on or near the ground and he is not covered, he can raise straight up, step back and shift to another position. If his hand is on or near the ground and he is covered, it is a false start if he shifts.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Right, jake. It depends on the TE's position. If he is the end man on the LOS, he can shift, even if he has gone into a 3 point stance. If he is "covered up" - meaning someone is outside of him on the LOS, he cannot. In this particular case, the TE's shift is legal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.