A meal fit for a King...

crimsNkentucky

Scout Team
Jan 15, 2006
www.RollCrimsonTide.com
Recipe: Coq Au Vin ( A Meal Fit For A King)

O.K., this recipe takes a little time to make, but is one you can be proud of serving. It is a classic cajun recipe from the famous John Folse. can you say Deeeelicious? Follow it up with the Triple Cherry Chocolate Pie (posted seperately) for a meal fit for a King.

Coq Au Vin

Prep Time: 2½ Hours
Yields: 6-8 Serving

Comment:
This classic French braised chicken dish is normally made with an older rooster or a large baking hen, which allows for longer cooking time. Long braising ensures that the flavors of the meat, vegetables, spices and wine will fully infuse. This dish can be made with white or red wine; however, red is preferred. For best results, I always braise Coq Au Vin in the oven rather than on the stovetop.

Ingredients:
6 large leg quarters OR whole baking hen
salt and black pepper to taste
granulated garlic to taste
¾ cup flour
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ pound bacon, chopped
¼ cup cognac
2 cups diced onions
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
12 garlic cloves, halved
12 pearl onions, peeled
3 cups Burgundy wine
3 cups beef stock or beef bouillon
1 tbsp tomato paste
18 button mushrooms
1 bay leaf
2 tbsps chopped bittersweet chocolate
1 cup fresh or frozen early peas

Method:
Preheat oven to 400°F. If using a whole baking hen, cut into 6–8 serving pieces. Season with salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Season flour lightly with salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Dust chicken in flour, shaking off excess. In a large Dutch oven or roasting pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Sauté bacon, stirring constantly until bacon fat is rendered, taking care not to burn oil. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon. In same pan, cook 3–4 pieces of chicken at a time 3–5 minutes on each side or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Once chicken is browned, deglaze with cognac taking care because it may ignite when it hits the pan. Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Sauté 3–5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add pearl onions and cook an additional 2–3 minutes. Blend wine and beef stock into vegetable mixture. Whisk tomato paste into simmering liquid. Return chicken pieces to pan. Add stock if necessary to cover chicken by ¼ inch. Add mushrooms and bay leaf. Bring to a rolling boil, cover and place in oven for 1½ hours. Check for tenderness, because age and size of bird will determine cooking time. Chicken should be fork tender, but not falling apart. When done, gently remove chicken from braising liquid and place on a sheet pan. Return braising liquid and vegetables to stovetop. Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. If necessary, thicken sauce with 1–2 tablespoons dark brown roux. When sauce is thickened, adjust seasonings using salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Blend in chocolate and peas. Simmer 10–12 minutes or until peas are tender. Return chicken to braising liquid and reheat. When ready to serve, place a portion of chicken in center of a soup bowl and top with sauce and braised vegetables.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I have made this several times and most of the time also add 1 cup frozen corn to the pot and large diced potato. I have talked with John Folse several times, he is a great chef and Louisiana historian, quite a good person to visit with. I learned a lot more than just food from him.

SCrammerjammer

1st Team
Sep 4, 2000
South Carolina
Embarrassed to ask....but...this looks too good to miss with Fall weather looming:

Do you keep all that oil in the Dutch oven when you deglaze? Or do you pour it out and then deglaze?

I've learned a lot by reading the talk on this board. Thanks.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
There shouldn't be much oil left in the pot. I would pour off most of it if there looks to be more than you expected. The flour dusted chicken and vegetables will absorb some of the oil. I usually end up with maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil and bacon drippings which I think is acceptable.

One other note is to remove the pan from the stove when adding alcohol. If you do not have cognac use Sherry. If you don't have Sherry use any female handy.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I may try this, although with a slight variation. If I leave in the celery, my wife won't eat it, and if I leave in the peas, I won't eat it.
Many people don't like cooked celery. I attribute this to most people not taking the time to peel the strings from the stalks and properly dice the vegetable. When done correctly it is hardly noticeable in the dish. Simply run a peeler down the outside of the stalks and the tough strings come right off, there are none on the inside. Slice down the middle then continue slicing the stalks till you have about a 1/4" stick then cut across making a 1/4" dice.

I can't help with the peas ;) you either like them or don't.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.