You Make the Call - Oct. 17

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Team Red is kicking off to Team White. Red pooch kicks the ball over the front line of White and a Red player catches the ball in the air at the 40 yd line of White and runs the ball to the White 30 yd line. Does the "stolen kickoff" stand?

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
You're catching on NYBamaFan. For the kicking team to recover, the ball must go beyond the receiving team's free kick line (normally ten yards) and touch the ground. In this case, it is kick catching interference. The receiving team can either back the kicking team up 15 yards and rekick or they can take an awarded fair catch at the spot of the interference (the 40 yard line).

Let's put a slight twist to the situation. What if the ball is bouncing on White's 40 yard line and the Red player scoops it up and takes it to the endzone. What happens now?

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
You're catching on NYBamaFan. For the kicking team to recover, the ball must go beyond the receiving team's free kick line (normally ten yards) and touch the ground. In this case, it is kick catching interference. The receiving team can either back the kicking team up 15 yards and rekick or they can take an awarded fair catch at the spot of the interference (the 40 yard line).

Let's put a slight twist to the situation. What if the ball is bouncing on White's 40 yard line and the Red player scoops it up and takes it to the endzone. What happens now?
Well, since I sense another trick, I am going to say that you cannot advance the ball. Red's ball where it was recovered.

Kicking rules are too tricky. When something just doesn't make sense, it is probably a kicking rule in football... :biggrin2:

Jim Morris

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Athens,AL
ps.tidefans.com
the key on this kick is that the ball MUST touch the ground in order for the kicking team to recover.

Jake...since it hit the ground it is a free ball and the result would be a TD for the kicking team.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
NY, Kicking rules can be tricky - it does require a bit of studying.
Seems like a really good reason to simplify the rules. But what do I know?

The rules in the kicking game are so tricky that I would be willing to bet that most officials couldn't get an A on a surprise quiz...

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Not bad at all guys. Red can recover the kick but cannot advance it. When Red gains possession the ball is dead and Red takes over. The same would be true on a muffed punt. It is different if White had gained possession and then fumbled.

By the way, the rule is different in college. In college the kicking team can recover a kickoff if it has gone ten yards and touched the ground or if it breaks the plane of the receiving team's restraining line and remains beyond the restraining line. That is why the onside kick that Auburn ran against South Carolina was legal.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
I'm so confused. Hawk stated that it was a pooch kick, so I assume the ball has already touched the ground. Also, where Red catches the ball indicates that the ball has traveled more than 10yds pass the line of scrimmage. So, why would it be catching interference?

I will say I did not know that the Red team could not advance the ball after gaining possesion...

OldSchoolBamaFan

Scout Team
Sep 23, 2006
Remember that Highschool rules sometime are different than College or Pro rules. I'll take a stab at this however.

If no one on the receiving team called for a fair catch then the ball is live and there is no interference. However, in Highschool I dont think you can advance the ball (but you can in college and pro). So it is Red's ball where he caught the kick.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Tex, I understood that the ball had not touched the ground yet. If it had, either team could recover but the kicking team (Red) could not advance.

Whether anyone from the receiving team had signaled for a fair catch makes no difference. In fact the high school rule specifically says that the prohibition against a member of the kicking team touching a free kick (kickoff) applies even when no fair catch signal has been given.

This was a great question Hawk. More strange things happen in the kicking game than anywhere else.

champal003

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 26, 2006
Coldwater, AL
I'll take a stab at it. Since the receiving team did not call for a fair catch and the ball was caught at the opposition's 40 yd line, and cannot advance the ball, this is considered a stolen kick and Kick over.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.