another question about the 360

crimson mo

1st Team
Nov 26, 2001
columbus,MS
I am having a heck of a time trying to get the Xbox to share media with my pc.
I am using a router for Xbox live and am having no trouble but it(the Xbox) won’t detect my computer.
I even tried hooking it up directly with out a router, just ran the cable from the pc to the Xbox.... nothing.
Has any one else had this problem?
If so what can I do?

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
What version of Windows are you running?

Have you installed Windows Media Connect or Windows Media Player 11 if you are running Windows XP? Either of those are needed for your 360 to recognize your PC.

crimson mo

1st Team
Nov 26, 2001
columbus,MS
What version of Windows are you running?

Have you installed Windows Media Connect or Windows Media Player 11 if you are running Windows XP? Either of those are needed for your 360 to recognize your PC.
i have windows media player11.
I have windows xp with service pac 2.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Also, have you tried this?

To set up Media Player 11 to share files together with your Xbox 360 console, follow these steps:
1. Download and then install Media Player 11. To do this, visit the following Xbox Web site:
http://www.xbox.com/PCSetup (http://www.xbox.com/PCSetup)
2. Start Media Player 11, click Library, and then click Media Sharing.
3. Click to select the Share my media to check box, select your Xbox 360 from the list, and then click Allow.
Note You can configure more sharing options. To do this, click the Settings button.

For more information about how to set up Media Player 11, visit the following Xbox Web site:
http://www.xbox.com/PCSetup

crimson mo

1st Team
Nov 26, 2001
columbus,MS
Yeah I have tried just about all of that.
I feel like im going around in circles.
I sent Xbox and Microsoft an email describing the problem but I haven’t heard back from them yet.
I have windows media player 11, I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it twice now and it aint helping.
I have turned off my firewall protection and still nothing.
What I can’t understand is why the Xbox and the pc don’t seem to see each other.
I am using a router and I have the pc on the internet and the Xbox on Xbox live and still nothing.
I have even tried just running the Ethernet cable straight from the pc to the Xbox…..nothing.
The biggest thing that is aggravating is when the media player ask if I want to share media it takes me to the widow
That has the check beside the “share my media to” but the box below it is empty with no devices listed.
When I go to the Xbox/pc set up page it just sends me to the zune page when I click on the service Pac 2 link.
When I get to the zune page it won’t download.
This is just crazy.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
I don't know man. You're stumping me too. :D

Might want to try assigning a static IP to the 360 and to your PC?

Short of that, try the Forums at Xbox.com or call the Xbox customer support.

crimson mo

1st Team
Nov 26, 2001
columbus,MS
I don't know man. You're stumping me too. :D

Might want to try assigning a static IP to the 360 and to your PC?

Short of that, try the Forums at Xbox.com or call the Xbox customer support.
Took your advice and went to an Xbox forum.
I am not the only person having this issue but the issue has not been resolved for any of us.

Here is the link if you want to check it out.
http://forums.xbox.com/7739320/ShowPost.aspx

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Took your advice and went to an Xbox forum.
I am not the only person having this issue but the issue has not been resolved for any of us.

Here is the link if you want to check it out.
http://forums.xbox.com/7739320/ShowPost.aspx
Yeah, I looked around and some people at a techy forum I frequent were having the same problems.

They haven't figured out how to get around it either.

It does seem to be a problem with people running Windows Media Player 11 though. Did you ever try connecting your 360 to your PC prior to upgrading to WMP11?

Last edited:

crimson mo

1st Team
Nov 26, 2001
columbus,MS
Yeah, I looked around and some people at a techy forum I frequent were having the same problems.

They haven't figured out how to get around it either.

It does seem to be a problem with people running Windows Media Player 11 though. Did you ever try connecting your 360 to your PC prior to upgrading to WMP11?
No, I read that since I didn’t have a media based pc that I would need windows media player 11 to connect to the Xbox.
I even tried to download the "zune" software that the link for service pack 2 would carry me to and it wouldn’t download.
So with out media player 11 I can’t connect and with it I can’t connect.
Arrrgh.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
No, I read that since I didn’t have a media based pc that I would need windows media player 11 to connect to the Xbox.
I even tried to download the "zune" software that the link for service pack 2 would carry me to and it wouldn’t download.
So with out media player 11 I can’t connect and with it I can’t connect.
Arrrgh.
Yeah before they had a piece of software called Windows Media Connect that let you share media with the exception of video. Then they released WMP11 and that seems to be the cause of most everyone's problem.

crimson mo

1st Team
Nov 26, 2001
columbus,MS
Yeah before they had a piece of software called Windows Media Connect that let you share media with the exception of video. Then they released WMP11 and that seems to be the cause of most everyone's problem.
I think your right about the media player 11 being the problem.
After reading what you said about media player 11 I was going to uninstall it and try to down load media connect and use player 10 but they don’t have media connect available for download anymore.
Heck I can’t even get that zune software to download.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
This worked for someone in the techy forum I frequent:

"ok, I got my 360 to stream media off my PC. I am an idiot apparrently

I had to go into my system settings, delete the previous computer connection, and re-establish a new one, and it worked."

crimson mo

1st Team
Nov 26, 2001
columbus,MS
This worked for someone in the techy forum I frequent:

"ok, I got my 360 to stream media off my PC. I am an idiot apparrently

I had to go into my system settings, delete the previous computer connection, and re-establish a new one, and it worked."
When I go in to my system settings on my 360 there’s not even an old computer connection to delete, but I did get an email back from Xbox.
They want me to call them.
I guess I will when I have a couple of hours to waste on hold.

crimson mo

1st Team
Nov 26, 2001
columbus,MS
Well since I first had this problem a couple of things have happened.
My desk top crashed so I bought a lap top with Windows xp media center.
It will link to the XBOX but will not play music or show videos, only photos.
It give me a message that I need to reset my "extender" and to look at my instructions that came with my extender to see how to do this.
??????
I cant find any info on "resetting" my "extender".
Ahhh but I digress.
I bought myself a replacement Hard drive for my desktop and reinstalled my XP operating system and was off having fun retrieving all of my old data from the old hard drive.
Taking a break I started playing a game of "Legacy" on the Xbox when I decided to try and connect again.
Wow there it was...... and it works.
I can view pictures, play music and even watch videos(they have to be in windows media format or they wont play on the Xbox).
I can even connect to the lap top and play the same stuff!!!!
BUT when I connect using "media center" it still gives me the extender error!!!
For now I am happy and I am staying away from the "media center" just using the connection to my desktop with the plain XP software.
Ah I said all of that to ask if anyone else has had their Xbox connection problems just fix them selves??
Did Microsoft release a "download" to fix the problem?
Oh, and I called Microsoft about my extender problem and they said it was a hardware problem and to call HP(since my Laptop is a HP), but HP said to call Microsoft because it is a software problem.
I am Happy
and Confused

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Had similar problems a while back where I couldn't set up file sharing between my 360 and PC, but it turned out I had a couple of Windows services disabled that I needed. Sent Xbox support an email and got a reply back the next day with the solution! I was very impressed! :redface:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.