Black QB's at Alabama

Hawk324

Suspended
Dec 5, 1999
AL
Call me crazy, but I thought Danny Woodson had a lot to offer at the Capstone. I know he had the reigns taken from him early in the 1991 season (I think because he wasn't running the offense Stallings wanted to), but I think he had a lot of potential. I'm saying this from what I saw from the stands as an eight year old though. :tongue:
Danny Woodson had a lot of potential, but from what i remember, he had some discipline problems. I dunno what exactly, but he never really panned out.

Actually, I had always thought Walter Lewis was Bama's first black QB. Guess I was wrong. :redface: But he was a good qb and a really nice guy. I got to meet him once at the Capstone and he was really laid back.

I remember Vince Sutton too. But Andrew Zow remains one of my favorite QB's to this day.

:)

TideNFla

Scout Team
Aug 16, 2006
You sure don't have to look far to start finding errors . They forgot about Pat Washington at the barn .

According to that list, there has only been one black quarterback at Tuskegee. Florida A&M had no black quarterbacks during the 1970s, according to that list.

That list should be titled "some black quarterbacks we can remember."

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Well it is a board for discussion for all things Bama. Are you offended by this?

It's a release from all the coaching search talk. I don't want to take away from the fun that is the coaching search, but I thought a nice change of pace was in order.
No. Your thread title didn't ask a question, and you just simply listed some players of african american descent, most of whom played qb at Bama. I could not figure out what kind of responses that you were soliciting.....

FreeBro

1st Team
Nov 17, 2006
SE Alabama
Danny Woodson was dumber than a box of rocks. I have friends that played with him at BAMA and they said he never knew his plays. He was physically the best QB there, at the time. If you remember the times he got in games he only made things happened on busted plays; plays that he busted.

The site leaves alot of people off the list: several QBs from Troy are left off; like Willie Tullis and one from Atlanta that had a real long name. He also left off the QB that played there in the 90s after Simmons.

Simmons played at Troy when Barker was at Bama and White and Nix were at Aub. He was the best college QB in the state at the time. The proof of that is that BAMA and AUB recruited him heavy, but he had academic issues and went JC. Blakeney stole him out of JC and hid him out for year in Troy while he got eligible. Man was he a player with a golden arm. He had some off the field stuff that kept him from catching on with a NFL team.

He had a classic battle with Air McNair in Troy. Troy won, something like 60-something to 28. McNair threw for over 400 yards and Simmons had over 300 yards in total offense.

Simmons could run the option as well as he could throw, he was NOT as gifted a runner as Vick, but a much better passer.

:BigA: :BigA: :BigA: :BigA:

Crimson323

All-SEC
Dec 6, 2005
All Over
No. Your thread title didn't ask a question, and you just simply listed some players of african american descent, most of whom played qb at Bama. I could not figure out what kind of responses that you were soliciting.....
Well, I see folks post videos and pics and stories of old players at Alabama all the time. Then folks comment on those particular threads. This wasn't any different. Perhaps I should have waited until Black History Month? :conf2:

Also, where is it written in the bounds of the Tidefans message boards that my topic title has to ask a question? :conf2: Seriously...What was I supposed to ask?

I wasn't "soliciting" any type of response in particular. Of course a large portion of those repsonses, not all, not most, but a good deal were asking "Why?" in a negative manner. I don't have an agenda, if that is what you are implying.

I was just remembering Andrew Zow and wondered to myself, "How many black QB's has Bama had?" Then I researched and decided to post it here. I had no rhyme nor reason for it. I just thought I'd share it. Thanks for being a kill joy though. This might have been a decent thread.

For those who asked, "And your point is...." I don't have to explain myself. I just did it. Good greif.....

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I believe that Michael Landrum, from Sweetwater, was the first African-American QB at Bama.
Landrum was signed as a "athlete/QB/RB" back in the wishbone days when CPB often signed several HS QB's since they were usually the best athlete on their respective team(s). More often than not these players ended up at a position other than QB.

Walter Lewis was the first black QB to actually play the position in 1980, his freshman year.

Landrum ended up transferring to Southern MS.

If I'm wrong..well it wouldn't be the first time, but I think this is how it went. :smile:

Crimson-Blitz

All-American
Jul 19, 2001
Hsv, AL, U.S.A.
Danny Woodson was dumber than a box of rocks. I have friends that played with him at BAMA and they said he never knew his plays. He was physically the best QB there, at the time. If you remember the times he got in games he only made things happened on busted plays; plays that he busted.

:
Danny was friends with a kid from my hometown. They both required hourly doses of Visine.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Did you read the title of the post?

You're right . It's obviously a Bama link . :rolleyes:

Are we only supposed to read the Bama part ? If so , why the link ? The Bama portion is pasted .

It's there for comparison and it's full of ommisions .

Just posing the obvious facts . Sorry for speaking the truth .:conf2:

RTR!!!!!!!!!:BigA:

hightide5

1st Team
Nov 18, 2006
Black QBs are very athletic and can help, but no trying to be offensive, sometimes they are unreliable. Vick at Atl is supposed win a super bowl but hasn't because he is pretty unreliable. The more reliable a black QB the better. Troy Smith.

johnnychristmas

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
Frisco, Texas
Well, I see folks post videos and pics and stories of old players at Alabama all the time. Then folks comment on those particular threads. This wasn't any different. Perhaps I should have waited until Black History Month? :conf2:

Also, where is it written in the bounds of the Tidefans message boards that my topic title has to ask a question? :conf2: Seriously...What was I supposed to ask?

I wasn't "soliciting" any type of response in particular. Of course a large portion of those repsonses, not all, not most, but a good deal were asking "Why?" in a negative manner. I don't have an agenda, if that is what you are implying.

I was just remembering Andrew Zow and wondered to myself, "How many black QB's has Bama had?" Then I researched and decided to post it here. I had no rhyme nor reason for it. I just thought I'd share it. Thanks for being a kill joy though. This might have been a decent thread.

For those who asked, "And your point is...." I don't have to explain myself. I just did it. Good greif.....

And your point for saying all that?... Just kidding. I actually enjoyed reading some of the posts. I thought we were at a point in society that we could openly discuss different athletes playing different positions without it coming across as a sensitive racial issue. I guess we're kinda there, but not quite.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Sorry about the confusion with the link. The link is where I found the information about the QB's at Bama. I should have specified.

No problem at all . This has been a good thread IMO .

On page 1 , someone thought that I was dumb enough to think that J.Russell was playing at Bama .:rolleyes:

RTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.