Gears of War Error - anyone else????

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
I was very excited a few days ago when I purchased Gears of War, hearing many wonderful comments about the game from both published reports and other gamers. Now I can't get the darn thing to work. Every time I load the game, I have a disc read error. It tells me to clean the disc and try again. Sometimes I get to the point of starting a new campaign and it seizes...sometimes it happens in the menu screens before. What gives???

No visible scratches on the disc, and I even went so far as to have it professionally cleaned.

Anyone else with this problem??? HELP!

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Try taking the game back to the store and exchanging it. If you are still getting an error with a new disc, call Xbox support.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
I haven't had that happen to me with my copy of Gears, but I did experience plenty of it when I first got NCAA 07. Sounds like you might have a bad disc like Queasy said, how long have you had your 360? Do you have the current dashboard update? I ask about the dashboard update, because my problems with NCAA 07 went away when I got the fall update from last year. Don't know if the update had anything to do with it, but it'd have to be an awfully big coincidence that the game magically started working better once it came along.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
No, I don't have any updates...I hope that is all it is. Is there any way to get the update other than XBOX Live? I don't currently have a connection.
No, I think you have to have at least a Live Silver (free) account to get the update.

I did see where you can download the HD DVD player support and Backwards Compatibility support to a disc but not the actual system updates.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
No, I don't have any updates...I hope that is all it is. Is there any way to get the update other than XBOX Live? I don't currently have a connection.
Yeah, I'm afraid you have to have a Live account to get the updates. It could very well be this is what's causing your problem. I'd go ahead and try to exchange the disc first like Queasy suggested, but like I said I didn't have any luck when I tried this with NCAA 07. Good luck, I hope you can get it figured out.

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
I was very excited a few days ago when I purchased Gears of War, hearing many wonderful comments about the game from both published reports and other gamers. Now I can't get the darn thing to work. Every time I load the game, I have a disc read error. It tells me to clean the disc and try again. Sometimes I get to the point of starting a new campaign and it seizes...sometimes it happens in the menu screens before. What gives???

No visible scratches on the disc, and I even went so far as to have it professionally cleaned.

Anyone else with this problem??? HELP!

I had the same problem with my copy of GoW. It worked fine for about a month or so and then the exact same thing that you described as happening with you occurred. I just took it back to GameStop (with my receipt), told them what happened & they exchanged it for me. My second copy has given me zero problems.

Apparently, sometimes the discs are just bad according to some of the people on xbox.com.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I had my XBOX360 on its side, and was getting disc read errors in Gears of War, but they went away when I cleaned the disc and laid the unit flat. Apparently, discs tend to get scratched when the unit is vertical.

This doesn't preclude other problems like faulty discs or flaky hardware.

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
as to the topic of not being able to get updates unless you have live....UM FALSE...

I asked a friend and he burned me a disk off the internet with the updates on it. I poped the disc in my 360 and it updated that way...

The updates are downloadable from xbox.com and I cant seem to find them...

jus do a little searching on xbox.com

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.