Need some Steak Help

TideRollsInVa

All-SEC
Oct 16, 1999
Lake Martin, AL & Atlanta
Grilled Shrimp - Some people think they have to do something hard as Chinese arithmetic to make grilled shrimp. You can do something as simple as sprinkle them hard with some Cajun or Caribbean jerk spice then put them on bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water. You can do something tricky like using lemon grass for skewers but threading shrimp on lemon grass is more of a chore (I have done it and that is why I gave fair warning) but the end results is pretty dramatic. You can also soak those bamboo skewers in fruit juice like apple or pineapple. Load up a spray bottle with that same juice to spray both the ribs and the shrimp as they grill. Give everything one last spray as they come off the grill.

Deserts - Pineapple goes so well with pork and shrimp that it would almost be criminal not to have some kind of pineapple desert.
Irishman, if you don't wish to do all the "shewering" that 5 lbs may take, one of the larger grilling pans/trays with holes works ideal for shrimp and anyother meat normally skewered (I have one that is a basket shape). For shrimp with veggies, grill the veggies (peppers, onions) first and then add the shrimp along with pineapple. When I'm doing pork or chicken I reverse it and cook meat first then add the viggies (sqush and tomatoes should go in late).

Another thing I do with pineapple is simply grill the slices and serve with meat or shrimp. People go nuts over grilled fruite.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Irishman, if you don't wish to do all the "shewering" that 5 lbs may take, one of the larger grilling pans/trays with holes works ideal for shrimp and anyother meat normally skewered (I have one that is a basket shape). For shrimp with veggies, grill the veggies (peppers, onions) first and then add the shrimp along with pineapple. When I'm doing pork or chicken I reverse it and cook meat first then add the viggies (sqush and tomatoes should go in late).

Another thing I do with pineapple is simply grill the slices and serve with meat or shrimp. People go nuts over grilled fruite.
Love the grilled fruit especially pineapple, melon and papaya.

If you have some sweet onions hollow out the center and fill with honey and butter. Wrap in foil and cook till tender they are out of this world.

I have one of those grill woks with all the holes in it we use quite a bit. A regular wok on the grill works well also.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Love the grilled fruit especially pineapple, melon and papaya.

If you have some sweet onions hollow out the center and fill with honey and butter. Wrap in foil and cook till tender they are out of this world.

I have one of those grill woks with all the holes in it we use quite a bit. A regular wok on the grill works well also.

... and try some of 'em adding a 1/2 strip of bacon wrapped around or stuffed . :smile:
Still w/butter & honey .

JH-ATL

Suspended
May 17, 2000
atlanta, ga
First of all for grilling, use a rib eye...lot of fat... marbling if you prefer...not a new york strip....very little fat and will dry out on the grill.

Never add spice until taking it off the grill....while still sizzling...add the spice, salt and pepper if you desire.

A good piece of steak does not need pre-dunking in various mixtures. Sauce at the end of you must.......my own wife, and I love her to death, uses A-! Steak Sauce to my wonderful steaks!!!!!!

Pre-dunk to tenderize a piece of meat.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
First of all for grilling, use a rib eye...lot of fat... marbling if you prefer...not a new york strip....very little fat and will dry out on the grill.

Never add spice until taking it off the grill....while still sizzling...add the spice, salt and pepper if you desire.
A good piece of steak does not need pre-dunking in various mixtures. Sauce at the end of you must.......my own wife, and I love her to death, uses A-! Steak Sauce to my wonderful steaks!!!!!!

The Alabama Cattleman's Association says the same thing but , 1 problem - if properly seared & charred , it doesn't work - at all .

If you're looking for a superior cut of meat , try a Delmonico Rib Steak . It's almost like a little leaner Rib-Eye with a bone curved around to one side . Excellent but , hard to find . IMO , there's nothing even close other than a high quality filets . Try one and I bet you'll thank me . :smile:

Last edited:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com

I'm going to stick to doing my steaks the exact opposite. I don't care what the cattle growers say I'm going with what culinary school instructors and noted chefs say. Season meat before putting it on the grill. Putting salt and pepper on a steak before cooking will not dry it out (old wives and dumb cook's tale). To dry a steak out the salt would have to be put on heavy and left out for a week. I also use garlic powder on my steaks most of the time.

Also, not to rag on you but to say never use a NY strip steak on a grill because it will dry out. How the heck do you imagine steak houses cook a NY strip? That comment alone suggests you really need help on how to cook a variety of good steaks. T-bone, porterhouse, sirloin, it shouldn't matter what you put on the grill if you know what you are doing. The NY strip is the #1 seller in steak houses across the country because it has more beef flavor. Patrons don't buy it because they like dry meat. A T-bone is a Strip steak and tenderloin divided by a bone. Cooking on the bone will always be more flavorful than off the bone. Rib steaks (aka bone on rib eye) is a better steak than a plain rib eye. Being a one trick pony is fine though if you do that one trick well.

I do agree with sauce at the end even BBQ sauce on steaks. I am also a fan of steak sauces liking Worcestershire on occasion, Heinz 57 or A-1. I like the taste of it with my steak. I can also eat a steak without it depends on my mood just like sometimes I like fries and sometimes a baked potato.

My rant for the day.

Last edited:

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Absolutely bayoutider. September we are having our College Dinner at Sugarloaf Keys at the home of my friend TVA. He is a Vol fan and is much like me. He can not stand fulmer. TVA is an engineer for the government and his sense of humor is wonderful. He and I have agreed to grill fresh pork ribs together due to the amount of work required.

Feed 12 to 15 People

20 lbs Fresh Pork Ribs - Good to go.
5 lbs Grilled Shrimp - Will need help on the grilled shrimp
Southern Cole Slaw - Good to go.
2 gals Southern Baked Beans - Good to go.
2 lbs Potato Salad - Good to go.
Texas Toast

Desert ? Help. two or three just so everyone gets something they want.

Drinks

Southern Ice Tea (That means Sweet)
Beer - everyone has their favorite and I have it stored in the cooler.
Coffee for the non drinkers for after dinner. Thats Baby's Coffee here in Key West. Darn good. Several restaurants serve Baby's.

I will come back to this in August. But if anyone has suggestions and can provide help it will be much appreciated. I like have the plan before I do anything. That is just me. I hate poor planning. :p_idea:
Speaking of pork ribs, I did some for some guests last night. The baby backs were from Sam's and I marinated them in yellow mustard and our favorite pork rub overnight. You can't taste the mustard but it gives a great base for the rub to stick to. Just slather a coating of the mustard on the ribs and sprinkle enough of the rub so that you can't see the mustard any longer. Pop in the fridge overnight. It also forms a nice crust while cooking. I also spray my ribs with a mixture of apple juice and cider vinegar while cooking. I mop them with BBQ sauce the last 30 min.

All this might sound a little strange to some people but please try it! We went to a Big Green Eggfest in Ocala this year and a LOT of them were using this method. It's also good for chicken and beef.:)

Last edited:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Speaking of pork ribs, I did some for some guests last night. The baby backs were from Sam's and I marinated them in yellow mustard and our favorite pork rub overnight. You can't taste the mustard but it gives a great base for the rub to stick to. Just slather a coating of the mustard on the ribs and sprinkle enough of the rub so that you can't see the mustard any longer. Pop in the fridge overnight. It also forms a nice crust while cooking. I also spray my ribs with a mixture of apple juice and cider vinegar while cooking. I mop them with BBQ sauce the last 30 min.

All this might sound a little strange to some people but please try it! We went to a Big Green Eggfest in Ocala this year and a LOT of them were using this method. It's also good for chicken and beef.:)
Works for me. I use a lot of yellow mustard like that. I also use yellow mustard on fish fillets before dredging in flour or flour and cornmeal to fry and sometimes use yellow mustard on shrimp before frying. It's great on alligator bites before frying too.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Two ribeyes and silver queen corn from the backyard going on the grill tonight.
Had that yesterday but the corn we grow is Silver Choice which takes less time to grow to harvest than silver queen and some hybrid yellow and white that is very good and has an even sweeter taste. This is our second year to grow a corn called Chubby Checker which is also white and makes very fat ears. I like the taste of it though it is the least sweet of the three.

Just looked up the bicolor corn. It is called Bicolor Mirai 301BC. Very disease resistant but must be hand picked which makes it perfect for the home garden.

CornBiscuit

Suspended
Oct 2, 2005
Mobile, AL
Just looked up the bicolor corn. It is called Bicolor Mirai 301BC. Very disease resistant but must be hand picked which makes it perfect for the home garden.
I grew some as well. Very good taste and it is amazing how quick it pops up.

Food just tastes better when you've watched it grow. Now if I could just fit some cattle in my backyard. :);)

JH-ATL

Suspended
May 17, 2000
atlanta, ga
Bayou

No need to be touchy about different views to a steak.....everybody knows about NY strip and all those other cuts and what they are made of from the cow.

They make Chevys and Fords. Both sell a lot.....taste...matter of taste.

Cattleman's Assoc. right here IMO......that simple.........didn't mean to step on your toes.

I suggested Rib Eye as the steak to go with from someone asking....less chance of failure and higher chance of success....overall a better grilling steak for friends coming over.

Dunking meat........helps cover up bad/cheap meat buying. IMO.

From reading your recipes....you are quite good with food.......so are some of the rest of us...........Chevys and Fords!!!!!!!!!!

:biggrin2::biggrin::p:biggrin::biggrin2:

Peace!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Bayou

No need to be touchy about different views to a steak.....everybody knows about NY strip and all those other cuts and what they are made of from the cow.
I said I wasn't trying to rag on ya. Your method of never add spice till after taking the steak off the grill is the opposite of what professionally trained chefs are taught. Thought you might want to rethink what you are doing but if you like it that's all that matters. You might be right and all the steak houses in the world might be wrong ;). My favorite steak is a porterhouse and second is a bone in rib steak. I add salt and pepper, sometimes garlic powder half an hour before grilling while the steak comes up to room temp. If you sear a steak at a high temp. it will seal in the juices and not dry out. Flipping a steak over and over will also dry out any steak as will mashing it with a spatula to hear it sizzle or poking it with a fork while cooking. I'm sure everyone knows to let a steak rest off the heat for a few minutes before cutting into it. My toes are fine hope yours are too, Peace.

Pachyderm37

1st Team
Apr 30, 2007
I've done a little bit of experimenting with a marinade here lately and judging by my company I cooked for tonight it must be pretty good.

I don't measure it out but this is what I put in:

Moore's marinade ( for the salt content )
Lee & Perrin's worchtershire
Burgandy or Red cooking wine ( for a little wang )
Basalmic Vinegar
Oregano
Basil

I heat the concoction up just to blend the oregano and basil with everything else and then you can let it cool or add immediately to the meat. I let it sit for an hour or so on the meat. Right before I put the steak on the grill I put some garlic on both sides and grill to order.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I've done a little bit of experimenting with a marinade here lately and judging by my company I cooked for tonight it must be pretty good.

I don't measure it out but this is what I put in:

Moore's marinade ( for the salt content )
Lee & Perrin's worchtershire
Burgandy or Red cooking wine ( for a little wang )
Basalmic Vinegar
Oregano
Basil

I heat the concoction up just to blend the oregano and basil with everything else and then you can let it cool or add immediately to the meat. I let it sit for an hour or so on the meat. Right before I put the steak on the grill I put some garlic on both sides and grill to order.
Your marinade looks pretty good. You could try substituting citrus juice, cider vinegar or mirin (rice wine vinegar). Balsamic is still good but can be pricey. The vinegar adds acid which breaks down the meat tissue, any acid will do the same thing. You can also use Soy or Tamari in place of the Moore's or Dale's for your salt. I also like the addition of a few black peppercorns for some zing.

Citrus rind is also good for adding flavor in a marinade. Save that orange peel, rough chop it and toss it in the bag, same for used lemon rinds.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

With regard to the NY Strip, if your's are drying out you're not pulling them from the grill in time or cooking them at too low of heat. I've cooked NY Strips two weekends in a row now and many times before and yet to have one dry out on me. I can (with pretty good accuracy) get them to medium and medium well every time with plenty of moistness.

The type of meat doesn't indicate the end result. The cooker does. Now I will agree that the ribeye probably has more forgiveness than a NY Strip with regards to leaving on the grill to long and still having a decent steak. But the cut itself doesn't have anything to do with how it turns out. That falls into the hand of the person running the grill.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Bayoutider,

I took your advice and decided on a dip for the Veggie tray. A zucchini dip. While at a co-workers retirement at Michaels Steak House in Key West I ask about dips that go good with surf and turf and got a Kitchen tour with Michael and his wife Melanie. After we ate our waiter ask if we could come back to the kitchen area and he would introduce me to several different dips. My wife and I feel in love with the Zucchini dip. The Wilson's could not give us the exact recipe but close. We made this tonight and it was good but, Our dip appeared to be not as firm in texture. How do I firm it up?

Although

Recipe:

INGREDIENTS
1 medium zucchini, cubed
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 clove garlic, chopped
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups mayonnaise

DIRECTIONS
Place zucchini in a saucepan, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, and transfer to a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Add the garlic, sugar, and oregano, and process until blended. Transfer the pureed mixture to a serving bowl, and stir in the mayonnaise.

Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
TO MAKE IT FIRMER--- steam the zucchini instead of boiling it

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.