Chicken fried steak

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I was wondering how you make chicken fried steak? I would like to make some, but I am looking for some tips? What kind of meat, etc?

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
King Ranch Chicken Fried Steak Recipe

I think this is about as good as it gets and I have eaten my share of chicken fried steaks.

Ingredients:

Cubed steak (King Ranch cubed steaks are the size of a hub cap)
evaporated milk (Pet or Carnation, you will need a couple of the larger cans)
flour (probably about 2-3 cups depending on how many steaks you have)
salt
pepper
cooking oil

Directions:

Divide the flour into two plates or pans. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Dredge the cubed steak in seasoned flour then dip into the evaporated milk and back into the next pan of seasoned flour. Place each cubed steak into hot (350-375F) cooking oil. Fry till golden brown on both sides.

To make the milk gravy, turn down the heat and pour off almost all the oil in the fry pan. Sprinkle in a couple tablespoons of seasoned flour and stir till it starts turning brown and picks up the oil forming a paste. Begin slowly pouring in evaporated milk stirring till the gravy begins to thicken. Adjust the thickness by adding more milk. It is easy to thin a gravy, harder to thicken it.

Serve steaks with milk gravy on top.

TideRollsInVa

All-SEC
Oct 16, 1999
Lake Martin, AL & Atlanta
King Ranch Chicken Fried Steak Recipe

I think this is about as good as it gets and I have eaten my share of chicken fried steaks.
My wife has been the cube steak fryer for 30 years. I cooked this once and she says she'll never fry cube steak again. Thanks a lot buddy.

Honestly, it was outstanding and that one piece left over the next day made for a superb sandwich.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
There is another place that had great chicken fried steak I think it was in Seguin, Texas at an old stage coach inn. The inn was a stop over long before statehood and the original register had signatures from Davy Crockett, James Bowie, Jessie James and several more historical people.

I guess the woman cooking at the King Ranch is gone by now but that was the best steak and the milk gravy was the best I ever had. It was served with mashed potatoes, green beans and yellow squash fried with onions.

moorav

Banned
Dec 6, 2006
I always referred to as country fried steak but I do it basically the same way but use whole milk - I bet the evaporated milk makes it really good. I never heard of using evaporated milk but I never saw a recipe for it before now

Lots of pepper :)

The tomatoes are good and green if it wasn't so dadgum hot I'd fry 'em up with some C Fried Steak, mashed taters... You be eating right I tell you what

We don't have real air conditioning at my house so that kind of cooking is rare in the summer

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I always referred to as country fried steak but I do it basically the same way but use whole milk - I bet the evaporated milk makes it really good. I never heard of using evaporated milk but I never saw a recipe for it before now

Lots of pepper :)

The tomatoes are good and green if it wasn't so dadgum hot I'd fry 'em up with some C Fried Steak, mashed taters... You be eating right I tell you what

We don't have real air conditioning at my house so that kind of cooking is rare in the summer
Chicken fried / country fried, same thing. I believe the term chicken fried came from the batter being the same.

Evaporated milk is so much richer than whole milk but sometimes I have to add a little milk if I get my gravy too thick and have to thin it some more.

Lots of black pepper is the way I like it. Fried green tomatoes are making me hungry. We ate 2 heirloom Caspian Pink tomatoes last night that were almost sweet. Much different taste than the store bought tomatoes in the USA.

We don't turn our A/C on that much ourselves, we don't have central heat. We keep the windows open and ceiling fans turning. We get a nice breeze here off the water and have a lot of shade. The kitchen gets a bit warm but not unbearable, guess I have gotten used to it.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
I also refuse to call it chicken-fried . Sometimes I pound down a few boneless chops to prepare the same way or , then slice 'em up for pork fingers minus gravy . However , the fingers are much better if cut from the loin and not pounded . Anything fried up on occasion . Did chx fingers tonight . :p

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I also refuse to call it chicken-fried . Sometimes I pound down a few boneless chops to prepare the same way or , then slice 'em up for pork fingers minus gravy . However , the fingers are much better if cut from the loin and not pounded . Anything fried up on occasion . Did chx fingers tonight . :p
I also like pork cutlets made the same way. Did you all know that US pork has become so lean it is now equal to skinless chicken breast in fat content?

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
I know this is an old thread.. But have any of you guys ever made Chicken fried steak using ground beef? I was watching Diners Drive-ins and Dives the other day, and this lady was making up ground beef patties, dipping in egg, flour, then egg, flour again, deep frying, and calling it chicken fried steak.. Thinking about trying it.. For some reason, cubed steaks are rare up here.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I know this is an old thread.. But have any of you guys ever made Chicken fried steak using ground beef? I was watching Diners Drive-ins and Dives the other day, and this lady was making up ground beef patties, dipping in egg, flour, then egg, flour again, deep frying, and calling it chicken fried steak.. Thinking about trying it.. For some reason, cubed steaks are rare up here.
I have heard you can fry just about anything. As long as you can keep it from falling apart it should be good.

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
Chicken fried / country fried, same thing. I believe the term chicken fried came from the batter being the same.

Evaporated milk is so much richer than whole milk but sometimes I have to add a little milk if I get my gravy too thick and have to thin it some more.

Lots of black pepper is the way I like it. Fried green tomatoes are making me hungry. We ate 2 heirloom Caspian Pink tomatoes last night that were almost sweet. Much different taste than the store bought tomatoes in the USA.

We don't turn our A/C on that much ourselves, we don't have central heat. We keep the windows open and ceiling fans turning. We get a nice breeze here off the water and have a lot of shade. The kitchen gets a bit warm but not unbearable, guess I have gotten used to it.
Actually the term Chicken Fried came from Louisiana and Texas and the term Country Fried comes from the deep south. When we moved to Texas (the first time) in '89 we were terribly confused at dinner one night when the restaurant had Chicken Fried Steak and Chicken Fried Chicken (talk about an oxymoron) and NO SWEET TEA! We were obviously appalled but quickly realized that the steak was the same. For the sweet tea...we were just screwed.

Anyway, Country Fried Steak is better if only because it's what I grew up on! LOL!

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
I call mine country fried steak and I make mine a little different...I use buttermilk instead of the evaporated. I also put a couple of eggs in the buttermilk and wisk it. I double dredge the cubed steak..first in the buttermilk mixture...then the flour and repeat. I also cook mine in a cast iron skillet. After cooking the steaks I take the leftover flour and dump it in the skillet to dry up the remaining grease and then add whole milk to it to make my gravy.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.