• Home made Vegetable Beef Stew & Cornbread

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TideBeliever

1st Team
Mar 26, 2003
Huntsville, AL USA
I can't match the length of time spent in LA that many on this board can. However, I did live in Carencro LA for a couple of years and have eaten many varieties of gumbo.

None of the gumbo's I ate in the area I lived contained okra. Perhaps adding okra is a regional thing?

Common ingredients were chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, chopped celery, red pepper, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dark roux and hot cooked rice.

Added were combinations of crawfish, shrimp, chicken, emu, andouille and tasso.

Not a gumbo but very tasty is:
Potato and Brie Soup

10 cups beef broth
10 cups diced potatoes divided in half
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
11/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
6 ounces brie cheese

Heat broth to a boil in a 5 quart pot over high heat.
Add 5 cups potatoes, onions, bell peppers, salt, garlic, and white pepper.
Cook 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
Remove potatoes with slotted spoon to a food processor or blender, add brie and blend until smooth. Add mixture back to broth with remaining potatoes.
Cook until potatoes are tender and cheese is melted (10-15 minutes) stirring occasionally.
Serve hot.

Last edited:

bamapeppy

All-SEC
May 3, 2005
Tied @ 2

Thin slices from a few tender pods added late . Nobody that I know of in my family uses it for thickening , at least not when us "city folk" visit:smile: . I never said it was a must . I also stated that many "gumbo vets" don't use it either .
If you didn't say it was a must you darned sure came mighty close to it son.

While I'm not a "gumbo expert" and it doesn't really matter , you're sort of missing the boat if you aren't adding some okra . Gumbo means okra . Most people don't know it and a lot of "gumbo vets" don't use it but , it is supposed to be included . Happy simmers .:cool2:
I think you got a lot of crawfish in you ;)

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
What about collard greens instead of okra?
Funny but , we used to have "southern style" pizza place here in Montgomery . They did some crazy things with pizza and one of them was a country pizza - Catfish & Collard Greens with a cornbread crust . Sadly , no okra pizza .:wink:

Last edited:

JH-ATL

Suspended
May 17, 2000
atlanta, ga
Thick, juicy, medium rare rib eye......no sauce of any kind.

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Bottle of red wine.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Bayou and LCN, I would have no problems at all with a thin cornbread crust topped with collards or turnip greens, onions and chopped ham, sprinkled with a little pepper sauce. In fact I wish I could have that for lunch today.
Who needs the pizza? Just give me the greens, onions and ham on a bed of rice with some pepper sauce. Add a couple slices of cornbread, a tall glass of iced tea and it's food, dude!
Speaking of collards, my wife has a collard plant out in the back yard, and it sits right close to our septic tank, so it grows pretty fast. We pick and bag several bunches off it every year. Last year we filled 8 gallon sized freezer bags off that one plant. The trunk was so thick it looked more like a collard tree than a plant. Every winter it would go dormant, but would rejuvenate in the spring. We ate off that one plant for 4 years in a row. Last year, the trunk finally collapsed and died. This is the first year for our present plant, but it's already almost 4 feet tall. I'm just hoping the drought won't kill it...

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Who needs the pizza? Just give me the greens, onions and ham on a bed of rice with some pepper sauce. Add a couple slices of cornbread, a tall glass of iced tea and it's food, dude!
Speaking of collards, my wife has a collard plant out in the back yard, and it sits right close to our septic tank, so it grows pretty fast. We pick and bag several bunches off it every year. Last year we filled 8 gallon sized freezer bags off that one plant. The trunk was so thick it looked more like a collard tree than a plant. Every winter it would go dormant, but would rejuvenate in the spring. We ate off that one plant for 4 years in a row. Last year, the trunk finally collapsed and died. This is the first year for our present plant, but it's already almost 4 feet tall. I'm just hoping the drought won't kill it...
Personally I would never use human waste as a fertilizer in my garden. I know the Chinese do but that is them and this is just me. Too many dangerously high toxins and bacteria can be present in raw sewage.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.