Joe King Testimony

jeffs4thetide

1st Team
Sep 20, 2005
Trussville, AL
Not sure if many people remember Joe King. Came to Bama back in 1985 as a offensive lineman. In watching this, we now see the real game he was playing within himself. He openly talks about his addiction and how he turned to crime to support his addiction only to end up shot and nearly dead on the streets of Birmingham. He has now found Christ, and I am glad to see he turned himself around. This video is about 35 minutes or so, but it is well worth the watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAURmhjEJaw

Crimson-Blitz

All-American
Jul 19, 2001
Hsv, AL, U.S.A.
I think that the bulk of that "sober" time was spent in prison. King has only been out a short time. I'm really praying that he continues the path he's on now. He could do a lot of good for a lot of people.

Crimson-Blitz

All-American
Jul 19, 2001
Hsv, AL, U.S.A.
Joe never really liked the game. He did it because, being so big, everyone expected him to.

His testimony is heart-wrenching. It makes it easier to understand how his life took the path it did.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I hope Joe can stay straight---I knew Joe and had classes with him back then and I still remember how big he was and how wild he was. Keep it up Joe--Good Luck

CrimsonJag

All-American
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville, FL
Joe and I ran the streets, for lack of a better word, together back in my short time playing at the Capstone.

Joe HATED football but he feared his dad too much to tell him he didn't want to play anymore. I think his dad is the only person Joe ever feared.

When Joe and I walked into a restaurant or whatever, the whole place would stop just to get a look at him. He was a freak of nature. He had/has a heart of gold. I wish I could have spent more time with him before I transferred out.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Jag--Maybe I know you as I partied and hung out with a few guys from those years as that was my incoming class of students (1985). Fruhmorgen, Murry Hill, Bobby Humphrey, and some a little older Norbert Dean, Vic Molton, Steve Wilson, Bill Condon, (whose brother was part of the track team at South Alabama with my brother)just to name a few.

CrimsonJag

All-American
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville, FL
I was an invited walk-on in the 1986 class along with Pierre Goode, Jeff Dunn, Billy Ray, Gary Hollingsworth, etc.

I was tight with Joe, Anthony Smith, DT and several other players. We owned The Ivory Tusk back in the day :)

bmcklv

All-American
Nov 27, 2006
Huntsville, Alabama
11 years clean and sober is pretty strong. Especially for a crack-head. I hope he continues down that path.
It's not hard when you've been in prison for 10 1/2 of those eleven years. I have a brother who claimed the same thing. He was clean and sober and proud of it. He was never going to mess with that stuff again, no way, no how. My sister and I went to bat for him and got him paroled, got him a job, and gave him a start. He repaid us by stealing from us. Six months after he got out, he was right back on the instant idiot express.

I hope Mr. King makes it, but it takes more than saying it. I'm sure he means it right now, but right now he's out there testifying and getting attention, which makes it easy. When times get hard, and nobody is paying attention to him, it'll come down to character. Drugs are a hard mistress; and for every success story, there are 10 or more failure stories.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
He needed a little mean streak in him as I remember. You didn't see guys that weighed over 300 without any fat. He was a freak back then.

I wish him all the best.

:BigA:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.