UT's Fulmer not all bad....

yellowhammer13

1st Team
Feb 1, 2005
Tallassee, AL
I agree a coach is there to win games and I also honestly think he should teach somethings that you can not learn in a classroom but those things will be taught as by-product of playing collegiate sports.

I would prefer Bama's coach (regardless of whw it is) be an asset to the community also. I think you can do both

Let's face it the coach at Alabama is a very, very important public figure and they can do great things for the community with a lot less effort than the average University employee. I am not saying Saban should do those things just pointing out that certian public figures draw a crowd

using the all we want out of a coach is put a good football team on the field contradicts the backlash at DuBose for having lots of fun with his secretary, Wimp slapping his and Mike Price having a little fun with the dancers.

If Mike Price was a winning coach already at Bama would his actions be OK with you - How about DuBose excluding the NCAA trouble are we OK with having someone having some natural fun with his secretary as long as we win..?

Not comparing Saban to those clowns but the don't care what the coach does as long as he wins doesn't support the criticism others have faced for their transgressions that would not effect winning/losing
Sooooo..... What's your stance Rav??? Would you rather have a lousy coach that's a "great" public figure yet gives you constant losing seasons with maybe one good year sandwiched in there? Or........ A "great" coach that is a lousy public figure yet gives you constant winning seasons and the occasional championship season squeezed in there to boot?

Optimally, we would all perfer to find the happy medium of both in a great caoch, but for debating purposes and since you posed this to start with..... If ya had to choose one.... Which way would you go??

Just asking...

BrandonOfMetry

Scout Team
Oct 5, 2005
Houston
I for one am happy to see Phats involved in an area where he personally can do so much good for the community. He really is the perfect person to call teens contemplating suicide.

At least I know that if I were thinking my life was in the tank, and if I heard Phats' voice on the other end of the line, I'd immediately realize that my life could be much worse--I could be a UT fan, or, even worse, I could have been born in a pumpkin patch like Phil. That'd take the thought of ending right off my mind.

Nick and Terry have already started a scholarship fund at Alabama, that's just one of the first things that came to my mind I'm sure there are others given time to think about it.

As for Fullmer, I don't care if he saved 100 puppies from drowning until he does something for Alabama or admits he did wrong I hope he rots in hell.
You beat me to it. Thanks. :BigA:

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Nick and Terry have already started a scholarship fund at Alabama, that's just one of the first things that came to my mind I'm sure there are others given time to think about it.

As for Fullmer, I don't care if he saved 100 puppies from drowning until he does something for Alabama or admits he did wrong I hope he rots in hell.
Bayou, you're my hero!!! ;) :biggrin2:

RAM

All-SEC
Aug 2, 2006
I guess I hold a grudge longer than most. As far as I'm concerned, he's a lying, cheating, back-stabbing piece of human excrement and one atta-boy doesn't cancel out a multitude of aw-schiatts. :mad::mad::mad:
Don't hold back and tell us how you really feel about him.:biggrin2:

I guess I hold a grudge longer than most. As far as I'm concerned, he's a lying, cheating, back-stabbing piece of human excrement and one atta-boy doesn't cancel out a multitude of aw-schiatts. :mad::mad::mad:
Tommy,

you are correct, one at a boy does not make up for all the lying, cheating, scumbag, underhanded secret witness crap. I just could not help it. I am so emotional about Alabama. Just like the State Motto "We Dare Defend Our Rights" :BigA:

moorav

Banned
Dec 6, 2006
What's your stance Rav???
---------------

since I am not allowed to chose a happy medium. No doubt about it a winning coach

bobmack12champs

1st Team
Mar 1, 2001
Florence, Al. USA
can you imagine Saban being a "secret witness"! It took more than the doughboy to bring the institution down. Don't forget Roy Cramer knew that they (ncaa) were watching Bama, that Ark and a few other schools were involved too, but the hit was out so to speak. The sad thing about that, is that Bama didn't do anything any more or less than any others, it was a 'rogue booster' that they were after but getting Bama was gravey.

I imagine coach Saban cries all the way to the bank over what the dodo's at espn write. Coach Saban acepted a job at a very high salary to restore tradition on the football field, not to spend more time on the golf course, or guzzle cokes with potato chips.

For me, all he has to do is win; I join the 92k that were on hand for the spring game, just do it your way coach!

Remember, fireman save puppys all the time!

Spot Dailey

Suspended
May 31, 2003
Los Angeles
www.JohnTown.com

"Tell It Like It Is"..... I can hear Aaron sangin' it right now......LOL!
My thoughts exactly Richard. Hope you're well.
Didn't CNS and Nikki raise or donate a huge chunk of change to something else a few months back like that tornado that struck South Alabama? All this hooplah on how wonderful Phat Phil and Richt are smacks of self promotion more than charitable works.
My favorite movie scene is still from "Liberty Valance". John Wayne steps into a doorway and completely filling it up, casts his eyes about the room. From the other side comes the voice of Liberty Valance (played by Lee Marvin). Liberty says "well if it ain't the big man". The Duke replies "I always thought if somebody really was a big man, others would say it for him.......Like you just did".
CNS doesn't need to toot his own horn. So what if his charity goes below the radar. Doesn't mean his less of a man because his actions aren't in the papers. JMHO

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Code:
[QUOTE="moorav, post: 597154, member: 13397"]I wanna ask this again: If Suprrier had said he was not going to Bama then accepted the job would the media have trashed him as bad as they have Saban[/QUOTE]
moorav, you have to understand that this is more about Alabama bashing than Saban bashing. Yes, if SOS had said he was staying at USC and then jumped to Alabama for big bucks the press would have trashed him just as bad. As I said, the ire and venom spewed at CNS is really directed at Alabama, he just happens to be the coach.

You have to go way back to the mid 1920's when the hatred by the media for Alabama started. An upstart southern football team portrayed as tobacco spitting, lazy, uneducated goobers went out west and beat the best team in America and did it again several times. The media only recognized quality football on the west coast, midwest and east. The media has always hated the south in general and Alabama in particular when it came to football.

Then in the early 60's or maybe it was 1959, the Saturday Evening Post broke the story that the Alabama-UGA game was rigged by non other than Wally Butts and Paul Bryant. Of course there was no proof, the allegations were retracted and both coaches received sizable settlements for those days. The point is, there is a passion for hating Alabama football and it is just not the media, I would suspect nationwide more football fans dislike Alabama than we realize or would care to admit. We are college football's version of the Yankees. Someone posted on here several months ago that had CNS taken the UNC or UM job there would have been nothing said, but because it is Alabama he is a liar who cannot be trusted and will leave the school holding the bag, believe me it is easy to hate Alabama.

moorav

Banned
Dec 6, 2006
Speaking of Butts-Bear & lawsuit that book that covers that entire ordeal was a really good read. I expecially like it when Bear can not find his glasses and over 1/2 the jury jumped up & said here try mine :)

Also the author or someone involved with the case said he had never seen anyone before or after that captivated the people in a courtroom like Bear did.

I highly recommend that book.

I know Bama is not well liked - I just can not imagine the national media doing anything but slobbering over Spurrier - He got some negative press about his dismal coaching job in the NFL but not as much as he should have, he was terrible as an NFL coach. Seriously they might have trashed Bama but do not think they would spew the venom at him like they have Saban.

I am not sure how Saban was treated-recieved by the media prior to the Bama job

I like Steve Spurrier just calling it like I see it - not saying I am right just my very humble opinion.

Tide Tales

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2006
Ya'll (or y'all) should know by now I have a different take....
I strongly prefer a coach who keeps his mouth shut about his good deeds! Anyone else think maybe Saban does a whole lot more than is known about because he does it without desiring attention/praise from an audience? I don't know the man and have no idea what motivates him, but
that's his business. Furthermore, all the hype about 'focus on fb', etc.
my interpretation is: "Good. Let everyone know there's a limit on his time-and he will choose where and when to spend it." Sounds as if he knows himself pretty well to me. Roll Tide!:BigA:
P.S. And because the founder (Flatt) blabbed means to me he had prior approval to blab to public-all in the cause of 'good works'. It's one of those "unintended consequences" things. Just because a person is a 'public figure' does not mean everything he may do/not do should be made public! Especially in the arena of 'good works'! How many (before he died) knew about the scholarship program begun by CPB? And those who did kept their mouths shut because the originator was not seeking a personal spotlight on him. Now that's my definition of 'good works'!:) Of course, I also prefer to role model those from "The Greatest Generation" era.....they do not appear to be as needful of public recognition for 'just doin' their job'.....;)

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Ya'll (or y'all) should know by now I have a different take....
I strongly prefer a coach who keeps his mouth shut about his good deeds! Anyone else think maybe Saban does a whole lot more than is known about because he does it without desiring attention/praise from an audience? I don't know the man and have no idea what motivates him, but
that's his business. Furthermore, all the hype about 'focus on fb', etc.
my interpretation is: "Good. Let everyone know there's a limit on his time-and he will choose where and when to spend it." Sounds as if he knows himself pretty well to me. Roll Tide!:BigA:
P.S. And because the founder (Flatt) blabbed means to me he had prior approval to blab to public-all in the cause of 'good works'. It's one of those "unintended consequences" things. Just because a person is a 'public figure' does not mean everything he may do/not do should be made public! Especially in the arena of 'good works'! How many (before he died) knew about the scholarship program begun by CPB? And those who did kept their mouths shut because the originator was not seeking a personal spotlight on him. Now that's my definition of 'good works'!:) Of course, I also prefer to role model those from "The Greatest Generation" era.....they do not appear to be as needful of public recognition for 'just doin' their job'.....;)
Who, unfortunately, are declining in numbers daily. The original "git 'er done" folks.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Shortly after Butts and Coach Bryant won their lawsuits, the Saturday Evening Post folded. The conventional wisdom of the day was that those two settlements played a large part in their demise. The amount of the settlements would be chicken feed today, but it was a considerable sum back then. I know I sure hope it's true that they hastened their going out of business.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
CNS has done several good things in his 6 months' thus far coaching at Alabama for people that are less fortunate. He donated money to the First Generation scholarship fund, helped pitch in to help the town of Enterprise after the tornadoes went through, and he even has his own charity called Nick's Kids. So yes, CNS does have a "human" side.

The media just wants to make money, hits on their websites, and create
controversey - otherwise they go out of business. They will blow anything and everything out of proportion just so that they can make money.

Another thing: the whole nation doesn't "hate" the South, or Alabama specifically. It's just that redneck/hillbilly culture is most prevalent in the South. Frankly, I don't care about what people think about the South, or Alabama; I've had such a positive experience living in Alabama that I want to stay in Alabama or stay in the South for the rest of my life. There's always going to be a bias against Southerners because the media power is located in the North. It's going to happen as long as they have a market to sell their product to.

bama_at_uab

1st Team
Mar 6, 2006
Birmingham
Well, we're certainly glad that you've seen the light California :biggrin2:
Despite all of the south's problems (and we do have some major ones) it's still a wonderful place to live.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.