Question about trailer weight...

TiderinMiss

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2000
Clinton, MS
First, I think this board is a grat idea, so with that...

I currently have a StarCraft pop-up camper and I pull it with my 2000 Dodge Caravan (automatic trans. V-6 engine).

I was told that if I wanted to upgrade to a trailer, my vehicle would be able to pull something like a "Pioneer 'Lite' (weighing only about 4,500 lbs.)".

Is that true, or would I need to go ahead and get a bigger vehicle, even with the "lite" version?

Thanks for any responses.

"TiM"

Last edited:

kcin_4_BAMA

RV Moderator
Oct 3, 2005
The Wiregrass
TiderinMiss,

The engine is only one component that determines what you can & can't pull. Do you happen to know what type of tow hitch you have (Class I, II, V, etc.)? This will go a long way in telling you your vehicle's capabilities. Some other things to consider are the gear ratio, type of transmission, etc. I have never pulled anything with a van, but the V6 would concern me with something that weighs 4,500 lbs......that is not very heavy, but I would be concerned about excessive wear & tear on the transmission and being able to stop the trailer while towing(I would suggest electric brakes).

TiderinMiss

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2000
Clinton, MS
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll upgrade my vehicle before I upgrade my trailer.

Also, I have a 1990 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder manual trans. Would it be able to pull that po-up camper?

kcin_4_BAMA

RV Moderator
Oct 3, 2005
The Wiregrass
http://fox11az.carsite.com/index.cfm?page=4&INVENTORY_ID=1295663

Click performance at the bottom. I googled the 2000 Caravan and everything I found claims the max. towing capacity is 2000 lbs.
Interesting link.
TiderinMiss, I probably wouldn't recommend much more trailer than what you currently have if you plan on keeping the caravan. I thought the tow cap. would have been a little more than that........
If you are looking at a trailer that weighs around 4-5k lbs. you should probably at least consider a 1500 or F-150. Those standard will pull significantly more than that w/ the right set-up..........

kcin_4_BAMA

RV Moderator
Oct 3, 2005
The Wiregrass
Embarrassingly, I'm not certain. I do know that, when unloaded, I can move it around the yard and I'm able to get it up on the hitch with failry good ease. It's a 10 ft trailer. Maybe 1,500 - 2,00 lbs.?
Yeah, that's around what I saw on their website, I just didn't know which model you had.
I would be cautious pulling that w/ the Ranger....It might do it, but it probably wouldn't be the safest set-up.....

TiderinMiss

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2000
Clinton, MS
Yeah, that's around what I saw on their website, I just didn't know which model you had.
I would be cautious pulling that w/ the Ranger....It might do it, but it probably wouldn't be the safest set-up.....
Thanks, kcin. I have used the Ranger for moving it around the yard, but was afarid to go too far, being I might burn out the clutch in it.

Camper4UA

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2007
that is true. I did own a Star Lite 25 foot T.T. and it weighted about 3,200 lbs.
We started out pulling it with an Trooper {V-6} and later upgraded to an Expedition. Just watch your T.T. weights.

This is my first post -- I signed up after reading this thread!

Nice place you all have here.

Now, FWIW, for a while I was an OTR truck driver, and I will tell you that the heavier your trailer is in relationship to your tow vehicle the easier it is to get into a world of hurt -- and quick. In fact, you do not have to do a thing wrong, because some other driver can take care of that part of the mess. But you are all the same in a wreck if the weight ratios suddenly become unmanagable.

Discussions of engines and transmissions aside, if the vehicle/trailer being towed is double the weight of the tow vehicle proper, you will look up to see the trailer coming around to pass you in any kind of skid.

So I would be very cautious about hooking up a 4,000 lb trailer to something as light in the keester as a Caravan.

Next, the heavier tow vehicle is a definite plus, but some type of braking system on the trailer is also desirable. I am a big believer in ABS -- it has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. The most recent was in my Ranger truck on highway 69 on wet pavement. (A rarity nowadays around Tuscaloosa). I was forced to make a full pedal panic stop; my wheels never locked, and I held a straight line.

Finally, thanks are in order to BamaNation for getting my activation stuff taken care of.

Last edited:

kcin_4_BAMA

RV Moderator
Oct 3, 2005
The Wiregrass
This is my first post -- I signed up after reading this thread!

Nice place you all have here.

Now, FWIW, for a while I was an OTR truck driver, and I will tell you that the heavier your trailer is in relationship to your tow vehicle the easier it is to get into a world of hurt -- and quick. In fact, you do not have to do a thing wrong, because some other driver can take care of that part of the mess. But you are all the same in a wreck if the weight ratios suddenly become unmanagable.

Discussions of engines and transmissions aside, if the vehicle/trailer being towed is double the weight of the tow vehicle proper, you will look up to see the trailer coming around to pass you in any kind of skid.

So I would be very cautious about hooking up a 4,000 lb trailer to something as light in the keester as a Caravan.

Next, the heavier tow vehicle is a definite plus, but some type of braking system on the trailer is also desirable. I am a big believer in ABS -- it has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. The most recent was in my Ranger truck on highway 69 on wet pavement. (A rarity nowadays around Tuscaloosa). I was forced to make a full pedal panic stop; my wheels never locked, and I held a straight line.

Finally, thanks are in order to BamaNation for getting my activation stuff taken care of.
Welcome aboard!
Your comments about weight are very accurate & a good braking system is definitely a good idea.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.