Opinion on A1 steak sauce

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
When I first tried A1 steak sauce I thought it was great but not exactly organic. Does anybody know of any thing that could be better???
Always been afraid to try the stuff on a steak. When just a kid, witnessed an irate Spanish chef take a steak away from a diner and order him out of the resturant for requesting ketchup for his steak. As I remember, told him to go to Morrison's cafeteria for his steaks. Course that was in a different era, over sixty years ago, and admittedly I had no understanding of what was going on. Later my father explained to me that in good resturants the chefs were prone to consider it a mortal insult if one were to put any kind of sauce on a steak that the chef had prepared.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
a1 is ok ,i use it some on a hamburger steak at a restaurant, but on a backyard prime cut? never. i have found that if you have to have a steak sauce,try mixing some lee&perrins with ketchup i like it over a1. and mix in the grilled onions too.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I can't find much use for A-1

Heinz 57 is OK for hamburgers, or a "chopped steak." I use so much the question is usually "would you like some meat with your Heinz 57?"

A properly prepared ribeye or porterhouse needs nothing coming off the grill. Meaning, prepare the meat before cooking, not after.

bamapeppy

All-SEC
May 3, 2005
I agree with those who say if you want it and like it then use it. it's their steak and they can put whatever they want on it. The steak police will tell you a well done steak is overcooked and tasteless, another police group will tell you rare is like eating raw flesh and they won't eat a bloody piece of meat. Just who are you people to tell someone else how they should do something just because you don't do the same.

It's like that gumbo thread I read a while back. If you want okra put okra in it and if you don't then leave it out. It's still gumbo and someone will like it and eat it. Same for the steak if someone puts steak sauce on it and eats it then it must be good to them. Leave them alone and stop looking down your nose at them.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I agree with those who say if you want it and like it then use it. it's their steak and they can put whatever they want on it. The steak police will tell you a well done steak is overcooked and tasteless, another police group will tell you rare is like eating raw flesh and they won't eat a bloody piece of meat.

That what I was thinking. Whenever I order steak I always get it medium. I also use A-1 for meat that really does not taste good and I am just to hungry to turn it down.

silentsam74

All-American
Dec 30, 2005
Sylvania, Alabama, United States
I agree with those who say if you want it and like it then use it. it's their steak and they can put whatever they want on it. The steak police will tell you a well done steak is overcooked and tasteless, another police group will tell you rare is like eating raw flesh and they won't eat a bloody piece of meat. Just who are you people to tell someone else how they should do something just because you don't do the same.

It's like that gumbo thread I read a while back. If you want okra put okra in it and if you don't then leave it out. It's still gumbo and someone will like it and eat it. Same for the steak if someone puts steak sauce on it and eats it then it must be good to them. Leave them alone and stop looking down your nose at them.
Just judging from the lack of smileys I'd say someone is getting a little excited here. :p I think everyone should do whatever they like best. It seems to me thats all anyone in this thread was trying to say as well. Didn't see any looking down anyone's noses. I used to not eat steak. At our house growing up we usually couldn't afford a lot of expensive meats like that and restaurants never did it right. Now that I have learned a little about grilling and frying (thanks partly to Grillin' and Chillin' and partly to trial and error) I can cook a steak (or any other piece of meat) that comes off the grill or out of the frying pan with great flavor that my entire family enjoys. I still have some trouble with pork chops, though I dont do them often. :redface: Basically, what I'm trying to say is that you might as well eat it how you like it, sauce or no. Eating is one of the few things we, as humans, absolutely have to do that is truly an enjoyable experience. :smile::biggrin2:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Just judging from the lack of smileys I'd say someone is getting a little excited here. :p I think everyone should do whatever they like best. It seems to me thats all anyone in this thread was trying to say as well. Didn't see any looking down anyone's noses.
I believe BP was saying do whatever you like not what the police says you should like. Now, exactly who is the one getting excited here? I agree with just about everything he said, do you think I am getting excited too?

Let me toss in a couple of smileys to confirm my attitude.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
A1 sauce and beer mixed about 50/50 makes a pretty good marinade on the steak before putting it on the grill.
Great combination if you do this...

Pour the A1 down the sink and drink the beer. Repeat this until the steak is done. Gauranteed to be tasty!:biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.