MS Extends 360 warranty to 3 years for RROD

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Link

Microsoft said that due to the needed repairs for the Xbox 360, it will be "enhancing" its warranty policy for the devices, expanding coverage to three years.
The warranty extension is only for issues that result in the "ring of death". Any repairs that were paid for will be reimbursed.

Peter Moore writes a letter to the community and does an interview on Major Nelson's podcast.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Well that's certainly got to be some welcome news to people that have experienced this problem. Good to see at least something being done.

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
You can partially thank me for this. I chewed the Xbox Reps behind the other day....

I told him that if your faulty motherboard is going to end up costing me more than a PS3 than I am done with video games. I will just wait for an all encompassing cell phone. I told him that I would be keeping my money. I guess this is becomming the norm.

Glad to hear it though. I really didnt want to spend 140 bucks to fix it.

QUOTE: "The executive added that an alteration already has been implemented in both consoles Microsoft has in its inventory, as well as those now being manufactured. "We think we have our hands around it at the engineering level."

I guarantee the 65 NM chip set is now available and will be in my replaced 360 once I call them tomorrow. Thats probably why they dropped this bombshell.

If you were considering a PS3 or xbox360 I would take the 360 now, but wait until the holiday season so the New xbox360's are on the shelf. I would suggest only purchasing a 360 manufactured after August 1st 2007. A good retailer would allow you to remove the console and check the born on dating on the back of the console before purchasing.

Hey gurus ask around your local EB's or Gamestops and see if they have the scoop. I did learn that all GM's of Gamestops are given tickets to E3 soooo. In a few weeks they might have the scoop.

Thanks queasy.... you saved me some dough... as well as my patience did.

Last edited:

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
just spent 45 minutes on hold..... then spent 20 minutes to give my address to get a box shipped to me. The woman said since there was a large number returning to get repaired because of the extended warenty that it could take up to 6 weeks. if you need a repair I would suggest calling them SOON. She said as fast as you get it to a UPS store the better.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
My 360 gives me the "unreadable disk" error thing, usually in the middle of a game which is very aggravating. Is this one of the common problems that the 360 was having? If not, how can I fix the problem. My disks are not scratched and I clean them before putting them in the player.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
My 360 gives me the "unreadable disk" error thing, usually in the middle of a game which is very aggravating. Is this one of the common problems that the 360 was having? If not, how can I fix the problem. My disks are not scratched and I clean them before putting them in the player.
I had problems with that with NCAA 07 for a while, but I think they released a patch that pretty much fixed it (at least that's what I think). I rarely if ever have that problem anymore.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
The 360 has DVD drives from two or three different manufacturers. I think one of them was known to be problematic. Unfortunately, this is not covered under the new 3 year warranty. It should still be covered under the 1 year warranty though.

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
i could give you an idea to help get your 360 under waranty. its a shady practice but completely legal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.