Rumor: Sony to slash PS3 price in next couple of weeks

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Link

The console wars just got a whole lot hotter. No, not in that way. Sony's perennially overpriced PS3 is about to get a welcome pricebreak to the tune of $100, at least according to a scan of an upcoming Circuit City advertisement leaked onto the interwebs. That puts the console at $499, and with the 5 free Blu-ray movies Sony is tossing in with every purchase, there's never been a better time to buy. The promotion runs from July 15th to the 21st, and there's no word if that price drop will stick, if it has Sony's blessing, or if will get expanded to other retailers, but we'll all hope for the best.
Expect MS to drop the price of the 360 not long after if this is true.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Confirmed

Although Sony has yet to confirm a price drop officially, GameDaily BIZ has received confirmation from the retail sector that the PS3 will be dropped to $499 next week. Sony itself recently talked about "refining" the PS3 price. Now it appears to be happening.
My guess is that we'll see the 360 price as $379.99 for the Elite, $299.99 for the Premium, and $199.99 for the Core (or phased out of existence) very soon.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
I'm not sold on the 360 elite. Queasy, is a 120 gig hardrive really THAT necessary?
If you are into downloading movies and TV shows from Xbox Live Marketplace, then the 120 GB HDD would be preferred. Otherwise, you are fine with the 20GB HDD on the Premium.

The additional benefit to the Elite is the HDMI connection.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Sony Officially Announces Price Cut plus a new 80GB version.

Despite denials, Sony has made official the new $499 price point for the PlayStation 3 that we've started to see appear in retailers across the US. The 60GB model's new price point will indeed be $499, with a new 80GB model going on sale for $599 in the US and Canada in August. As a small bonus, the 80GB version will include a "free" copy of MotorStorm. So there ya' have it kids: in one quick swoop, Sony has made the PS3's price a whole lot more competitive.
$100 for an extra 20GB? Man that is so weak. I don't care if it does come with a game.

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
Sony Officially Announces Price Cut plus a new 80GB version.

$100 for an extra 20GB? Man that is so weak. I don't care if it does come with a game.
Yeah, I posted about it a while ago here:
http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58665

The bottom line on getting a PS3 is still $500. Its not any cheaper. At least you get a respectable sized hdd now. As for the $600 model, its a waste of money. Theres no way 20gigs more and a game most people dont want justifies the cost.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.