So dissapointed in '08

iBama

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 11, 2007
Alabaster, AL
So I get back from San Francisco yesterday, rush from the airport straight to EB to pick up my reserved copy for PS3.

This game is total garbage....

I know it's their first year for PS3, but still. The first thing I noticed was passing. They took out the freakin' TOUCH PASSING?! And not only does it not play well, it doesn't look that great, either. I played about 2 games before I had to turn it off. It was that bad.

So, I go check out my neighbor's copy for 360.....I do admit it looks better, but the play is about the same. So if 360 has had a couple of years to work out the clinks and still hasn't....that doesn't leave to much hope for me.

My friends have been saying it for the past 2 or 3 years, and I've always defended the game, but I can't anymore. The same problems are still there, and EA has taken a once great game and ran it into the crapper.

2k put's out great football games. I wish they still had the rights to pro and college. Thanks for that too, EA.:mad:

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
The game takes some getting used to I think. I was frustrated by throwing a lot of INTs in my first few games, but after a while it got pretty realistic (throwing anywhere from 0-3 INTs per game). I'm not much of a graphics guy anyway, so I don't care too much for that part of the game anyway. I really like the new recruiting system and I enjoy the more realistic gameplay. I have played on AA with some sliders changed (I lowered my run blocking and RB ability and their FG accuracy and PG power) and I have had some close games all the time. I hate blowouts one way or the other, but from Vandy to UGA to Ark and ND (I added ND to the schedule) all the games have been close (10-17 point difference).

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Touch passing is most definitely in there, it's just not as easy to pull off for some reason as in years past. I agree with jps1983 however, I like that the passing game is more difficult, it makes the game more realistic and that's what I like. The game has plenty of things wrong with it as it always does but I still believe it's a step forward from where it was last year.

BigAl5833

All-American
Oct 15, 2005
Muscle Shoals, AL
Are you playing the game on a hd tv or sd tv? I am playing it on my ps3 with a hd tv with hdmi hookups and it looks fine. My only big complaint is the lag time u experience online, no matter how good your connection is.

SoldierForTide

All-American
Sep 28, 2006
Atlanta
The game is decent, but not worth the money IMHO. People will say how cool it is and it takes getting used to, but if this were any other game they'd have stashed it away. Fact is, we have no choice and we keep trying 1) because we have no choice and 2) because we payed for it.

Let's be perfectly honest, the game is decent at best. I mean, how hard would it be to change the friggin commentary one year? The graphics are "nice", but are behind by next gen standards. The gameplay is "different" and more "fluid", but that is replaced by other horrid problems. I don't care what you say the touch passing RARELY works. The fact that it's more difficult doesn't make it better, it makes it more frustrating and lame. For instance a LB running full speed left can do a magical pirouette to the right and intercept a ball thrown at full speed. Sure, it's more difficult, but it's not possible/fair/fun.

They should have spent less time on the motivation "feature" and focused more on the overall gameplay.

BamaJeff

Hall of Fame
Oct 12, 1999
Dothan, AL.
I get aggravated with it sometimes too. But the game isn't perfect and it never will be. It will be fun to play when people stop having such insane expectations for it. It's a video game for heaven's sake.

Last edited:

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
There are far too many picks especially of the insanely acrobatic and impossible kinds but the passing game is still FAR better and more realistic than it has ever been. Like I've mentioned before, now you can't just throw the ball deep every other play like previous years and expect to have success, you really have to use the intermediate routes and the run game to move down the field. This way may not be as fun to some (especially to those who want instant gratification) but it's much more true to life. The game is far from perfect but then again no one should expect it to be.

SoldierForTide

All-American
Sep 28, 2006
Atlanta
There are far too many picks especially of the insanely acrobatic and impossible kinds but the passing game is still FAR better and more realistic than it has ever been. Like I've mentioned before, now you can't just throw the ball deep every other play like previous years and expect to have success, you really have to use the intermediate routes and the run game to move down the field. This way may not be as fun to some (especially to those who want instant gratification) but it's much more true to life. The game is far from perfect but then again no one should expect it to be.
I won't disagree with the fact that you can't throw it deep. The moody touch passing makes it that much harder.

To the other guy. Insane expectations? I want to get what I pay for. Not a game I bought last year with different numbers for the players.

CornBiscuit

Suspended
Oct 2, 2005
Mobile, AL
For PS2 users.

Can you not change the controls? It seems to me you have to use the buttons (ex x=sprint) they give you. Last year you could select "NCAA 06 controls."

Anyone know if you can change it?

iBama

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 11, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Then rent the game for a few days before you commit to buy.
Better yet, get it used. The guy at EB said people were already bringing this game back the next day. At least you can take it back for full credit, if you don't like it.

After reading some of ya'lls opinions, I fired it up last night and found that I wasn't in a mild rage like before.

One question for you guys. I don't know quite what to make of the new recruiting. It's almost a game within the game and it appears it's going to be a lot harder getting the guys I need. Question being.....is it?

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
I won't disagree with the fact that you can't throw it deep. The moody touch passing makes it that much harder.

To the other guy. Insane expectations? I want to get what I pay for. Not a game I bought last year with different numbers for the players.
I can understand if you're frustrated with the way this game plays, but come on you can't really believe this is even close to the same game as last year can you? It's like night and day. Last year's was a stripped down version while this year's is fully featured, it's not even close IMHO. For the 360 I should add.

Better yet, get it used. The guy at EB said people were already bringing this game back the next day. At least you can take it back for full credit, if you don't like it.

After reading some of ya'lls opinions, I fired it up last night and found that I wasn't in a mild rage like before.

One question for you guys. I don't know quite what to make of the new recruiting. It's almost a game within the game and it appears it's going to be a lot harder getting the guys I need. Question being.....is it?
I've only had one season of recruiting under my belt so far but I've found it's somewhat hit or miss at times. I don't know if it's any harder to get guys that you need than it ever has been, but the bright side seems to be there are more players to choose from.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I can understand if you're frustrated with the way this game plays, but come on you can't really believe this is even close to the same game as last year can you? It's like night and day. Last year's was a stripped down version while this year's is fully featured, it's not even close IMHO.
Completely agree. No game is ever perfect, but compared to last year's, '08 is much, much better.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
I've only had one season of recruiting under my belt so far but I've found it's somewhat hit or miss at times. I don't know if it's any harder to get guys that you need than it ever has been, but the bright side seems to be there are more players to choose from.
With recruiting so far, it seems that the whole point is to try and find three pitches rated "Most" or "Very High"....sometimes just "High" is alright. Hard Sell the "Most" or "Very High" every week to keep the football face at a giant smile. As soon as you get the giant smile, stop the pitch so you don't use up any more call time. Offering scholarships is another way to get a "smile" boost. If you can keep a recruit at the giant smile every week then you'll end up at the top of his list of schools in no time and stay there.

Don't schedule a visit until you've got three pitches ranging from "Most" to "High" that you can use while the recruit visits.

Make sure to put players that you absolutely need at the top of your recruiting board as that will make them happier faster.

I'm in my 7th week now and I'm in the top 3 for all but a couple of of my 35 targeted players and that is only because I messed up a bit at the beginning. I'm the #1 school for about half of the targeted players so far.

It is a pretty simple system up to this point. I have no clue as to whether or not staying #1 on a recruits board will mean that the recruit comes to my school though. Or what the impact of promises will be.

Last edited:

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
With recruiting so far, it seems that the whole point is to try and find three pitches rated "Most" or "Very High"....sometimes just "High" is alright. Hard Sell the "Most" or "Very High" every week to keep the football face at a giant smile. As soon as you get the giant smile, stop the pitch so you don't use up any more call time. Offering scholarships is another way to get a "smile" boost. If you can keep a recruit at the giant smile every week then you'll end up at the top of his list of schools in no time and stay there.

Don't schedule a visit until you've got three pitches ranging from "Most" to "High" that you can use while the recruit visits.

Make sure to put players that you absolutely need at the top of your recruiting board as that will make them happier faster.

I'm in my 7th week now and I'm in the top 3 for all but a couple of of my 35 targeted players and that is only because I messed up a bit at the beginning. I'm the #1 school for about half of the targeted players so far.

It is a pretty simple system up to this point. I have no clue as to whether or not staying #1 on a recruits board will mean that the recruit comes to my school though. Or what the impact of promises will be.
Yeah, I've noticed this as well but you also have to choose wisely when you schedule visits because I've already seen it happen to me that a school that was maybe third or fourth on a guy's list gets a visit in before me and the player commits on that visit, and nearly every time I've been the players #1 choice at the time. It can be somewhat frustrating to say the least.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm tired of reading this 2K is great stuff. Go read message boards and you'll find out the All Pro Football is average at best. Many complaints about the DBs being dumb. So, what do you want; a game where you can unrealistically complete every pass or a game where your defense actually steps up and makes plays?

I think NCAA 08 is great and huge steps in the right direction. Every year people would complain about how bad the DB AI was and that EA needed to improve it. Well, this year they improve the DB AI and everyone is still complaining. I only throw about 1 maybe 2 INTs per game. You have to read the defense and throw to the open receiver. In real life when everyone is covered, QBs will throw the ball away or run to the sideline (which you can do in the game). Just because you pick a pass play doesn't mean you have to throw the ball to a receiver. Gone are the days were you could throw the ball into triple coverage and get away with it. If your guy is covered, don't expect great results. People are use to the passing game being easy and now that you actually have to think before you throw, people call the game unplayable. I call it more realistic. I'm not saying the game is perfect (it's not) but, it is a step in the right direction and a major improvement over last years game. IMO, this is the best NCAA game in years.

Campus Legend mode is fun to play around with this year and recruiting in dynasty mode is fantastic. Presentation needs some work and there are areas in the gameplay that could use improvement (that will always be the case) but, anyone that says this game is unplayable is just laughable and they really haven't given the game a chance, IMO.

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
Yeah, I've noticed this as well but you also have to choose wisely when you schedule visits because I've already seen it happen to me that a school that was maybe third or fourth on a guy's list gets a visit in before me and the player commits on that visit, and nearly every time I've been the players #1 choice at the time. It can be somewhat frustrating to say the least.
This sounds like a roll over from last few years of NCAA.

I also got to play it at EB the other day and really didnt like how the jerseys look like liquid. did anyone else notice this?

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
This sounds like a roll over from last few years of NCAA.

I also got to play it at EB the other day and really didnt like how the jerseys look like liquid. did anyone else notice this?
Yeah...playing as Bama at night is bittersweet. The stadium looks like a champ...but we look like Liberace designed our uniforms. Way too much shine in that crimson.

I haven't started a dynasty yet because I kinda want to get rosters first. So...I've been spending my time with Campus Legend and I think it's one of the coolest things on there. Being able to practice has helped my understanding of the game a lot. I'm an option QB...so most of what I do is the option...but practicing passing has been huge for me.

The game might not be perfect...but I'm such a huge Bama fan that it's all I can do to get by for the next 38 days without losing it. So I'll keep buying this game until college football becomes a year-round sport. ;)

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm tired of reading this 2K is great stuff. Go read message boards and you'll find out the All Pro Football is average at best. Many complaints about the DBs being dumb. So, what do you want; a game where you can unrealistically complete every pass or a game where your defense actually steps up and makes plays?

I think NCAA 08 is great and huge steps in the right direction. Every year people would complain about how bad the DB AI was and that EA needed to improve it. Well, this year they improve the DB AI and everyone is still complaining. I only throw about 1 maybe 2 INTs per game. You have to read the defense and throw to the open receiver. In real life when everyone is covered, QBs will throw the ball away or run to the sideline (which you can do in the game). Just because you pick a pass play doesn't mean you have to throw the ball to a receiver. Gone are the days were you could throw the ball into triple coverage and get away with it. If your guy is covered, don't expect great results. People are use to the passing game being easy and now that you actually have to think before you throw, people call the game unplayable. I call it more realistic. I'm not saying the game is perfect (it's not) but, it is a step in the right direction and a major improvement over last years game. IMO, this is the best NCAA game in years.

Campus Legend mode is fun to play around with this year and recruiting in dynasty mode is fantastic. Presentation needs some work and there are areas in the gameplay that could use improvement (that will always be the case) but, anyone that says this game is unplayable is just laughable and they really haven't given the game a chance, IMO.
I like the DB AI on this game but I do have a problem with the LB play. The LB you play against are unrealistic and are just freaks. How many times do you have an open receiver running down the middle of the fild and a LB jumps 10 feet in the air to make the pick? Or the LB will reach behind his body to make a pick with one hand.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.