Best Pizza

moorav

Banned
Dec 6, 2006
I did a search looking for THE best pizza in B'ham. A place called Tortugas with real chicago style DEEP pie kept showing up. So I found out where it was and WOW excellent pizza. I would like to know where there is one better. Tortugas is on 280 across from Loyds & one over in riverchase i think

Anyone else ever had their deep dish

TideBeliever

1st Team
Mar 26, 2003
Huntsville, AL USA
It wasn't deep dish, but the best pizza i've ever had was at Grimaldi's Pizzeria located under the Brookolyn Bridge.

Sausage and eggplant with red sweet roasted peppers and extra cheese. It was so good, that I seldom eat pizza anymore because they just don't compare taste wise.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
New York has the best pizza, it is the water. New Jersey pizza is not bad, but when you have eaten both, I do prefer New York pizza. Though when we were in Providence, RI last summer, we had Chicago style pizza in Federal Hill and it was pretty good.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Johnny's in Orlando, sadly, it is no more. It was a restaurant/bar and the original owner sold it. The new owner neglected the restaurant side of it and focused on the bar side of it, lost his arse and went out of business.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Moorav , next time you're here there's a place in Montgomery named "Tony's" and it's excellent . It's not just the pizza , you have to order up a large table sharing sized salad to go with it . The pizza is very good but , the salad with the home-made balsamic really rounds things out . They can also serve up a really good steak . Tony's is outside the back of Maxwell AFB . The side headed up the old route to Prattville . Been there for years upon years . Great stuff .

Last edited:

JH-ATL

Suspended
May 17, 2000
atlanta, ga
Mellow Mushroom pizza

Used to, with another man, own a couple of them in and around Atlanta.

Best pizza outside of mom & pop shops in NYC & Chi town.......highest quality ingretients of any of the Franchise pizza joints.

Had to let them go.......too much time and effort to run them for the money!!!!!!!

There is now one in T-town.....Fanchisor tried to get me and my buddie to start it up.....money would not add up....first one went down ...Franchisor picked it up and resold it.......I knew that first one would not work because the start up improvements/costs were too high for the location. Start up costs approximated 750,000+......too much for a pizza place.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
^^^^ My cousin's mom owns one . ^^^^

Pizza - less than average . Price - way above average . IMO , they suck . :redface:

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I did a search looking for THE best pizza in B'ham. A place called Tortugas with real chicago style DEEP pie kept showing up. So I found out where it was and WOW excellent pizza. I would like to know where there is one better. Tortugas is on 280 across from Loyds & one over in riverchase i think

Anyone else ever had their deep dish
Shazzamm, Moorav! That thar "Tortuga's" (Hoover-hiway 150) is in my neck of the woods and their pizza is deeelishus indeed! :biggrin2:

I guess this shows that even "Bama-Gomers" like myself know a good pizza when we taste one. :eek: :BigA:
;)

moorav

Banned
Dec 6, 2006
Shazzamm, Moorav! That thar "Tortuga's" (Hoover-hiway 150) is in my neck of the woods and their pizza is deeelishus indeed! :biggrin2:

I guess this shows that even "Bama-Gomers" like myself know a good pizza when we taste one. :eek: :BigA:
;)
Maybe we could meet for lunch one day when you are not in a psycheldic mood :cool2:

moorav

Banned
Dec 6, 2006
Moorav , next time you're here there's a place in Montgomery named "Tony's" and it's excellent . It's not just the pizza , you have to order up a large table sharing sized salad to go with it . The pizza is very good but , the salad with the home-made balsamic really rounds things out . They can also serve up a really good steak . Tony's is outside the back of Maxwell AFB . The side headed up the old route to Prattville . Been there for years upon years . Great stuff .
I hope to visit Capital Oyster Bar again soon, someone mentioned something to me the other night about hosting a blues jam at the Keys - Now that Jimmy Jacobs no longer has his 'pro-am' jam there. I may talk to Jimmy about it but I am defintely keeping an eye on the Capital OB

Now I am hungry

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Gino's East in Chicago has hands down the best deep dish pizza in the universe.
No question about it, but the original UNOs is also very good.

There are different types of pizza and a pizza joint usually specializes in only one type, though they might make others. The types are so different that I hesitate to call them all "pizza".

Thin crust, thick crust (sicilian), and deep dish are the three primary types. They each use very different dough, which dramatically changes the taste.

I prefer deep dish...

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Maybe we could meet for lunch one day when you are not in a psycheldic mood :cool2:
That's a good idea. As you've probably noticed, I work nights but maybe some Monday or Tuesday if our schedules allow, you could buy me lunch and I'll promise to behave...;)

As far as the "psychedelic mood", well if the shoe fits...:smile:

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
I hope to visit Capital Oyster Bar again soon, someone mentioned something to me the other night about hosting a blues jam at the Keys - Now that Jimmy Jacobs no longer has his 'pro-am' jam there. I may talk to Jimmy about it but I am defintely keeping an eye on the Capital OB

Now I am hungry
Let us know about "The Keys" and I'll be there . If I can muster up enough "liquid courage" , I might even get up there . Did once over there a couple of years ago .

PS - I believe JPT4Bama bangs the drums .... I think .

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.