Is my XBOX 360 dying?

SoldierForTide

All-American
Sep 28, 2006
Atlanta
My XBOX 360 is just one month over a year and has been experiencing a problem that seems to be getting progressively worse.

It started with FIFA 2007, I would play for a little while then all the sudden it would say "disc is unreadable" and boot me out of the game causing me to restart. Now, I have NCAA 08 and the problem has worsened exponentially. It's literally a 50/50 chance I can play for a while. It seems to be even worse when I play anything other than a Quick Game.

I've googled this and I can't find any real cause. Just a bunch of others experiencing the same thing. What do you guys suggest?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
My XBOX 360 is just one month over a year and has been experiencing a problem that seems to be getting progressively worse.

It started with FIFA 2007, I would play for a little while then all the sudden it would say "disc is unreadable" and boot me out of the game causing me to restart. Now, I have NCAA 08 and the problem has worsened exponentially. It's literally a 50/50 chance I can play for a while. It seems to be even worse when I play anything other than a Quick Game.

I've googled this and I can't find any real cause. Just a bunch of others experiencing the same thing. What do you guys suggest?
I get that all of the time with NCAA 08. However, last night I cleaned the disk and wiped the disk holder (get the dust) and it was sort of dirty. Went back to playing and had no trouble (Knocks on wood!) It was always during the Ark. game that it would happen. Happened 4 times in a row before I cleaned the disk.

ElkhartTider

All-American
Jan 13, 2005
Elkhart, Indiana
yep its pretty close to dying..

you should just trash it now and get something that might last more than a year.. like a PS3... sure it may be $499 but it has A FREAKING BLU-RAY PLAYER IN IT!.. up until a couple months ago the cheapest blu-ray you could get was $800 .. i have had my ps3 for about 2 months now and have experience NOTHING at all..

360's are pieces of $|-|i+

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006

you should just trash it now and get something that might last more than a year.. like a PS3... sure it may be $499 but it has A FREAKING BLU-RAY PLAYER IN IT!.. up until a couple months ago the cheapest blu-ray you could get was $800 .. i have had my ps3 for about 2 months now and have experience NOTHING at all..

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
My God, it's bad enough that we have to hear this kind of crap on other sites, please don't bring it to TideFans too!!! I've had a 360 for well over a year and have yet to have a problem. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with PS3's that think they're a piece of you know what too. We don't seem to have any fan boys running around this site spitting this garbage, so please let's keep it that way!

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA

Keep the fanboyism out of here. Kay? Thanks.

BigAl5833

All-American
Oct 15, 2005
Muscle Shoals, AL
I have both systems and have not had a problem out of either one. I guess their are people though that will swear up and down that the 360 is 100 x better than the ps3 and vice versa. But back to the original topic, i would try cleaning the system like was said earlyer, and if that dosent work contact microsoft and see what they say.

SoldierForTide

All-American
Sep 28, 2006
Atlanta
I have a PS3 and it's ok, but I like the 360 better, mostly due to XBOX live.

So, I guess no one has heard of this? I heard I can mail it back within 3 years of purchase and I can get a new one. Is that true?

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Just going on what you said in your post but it sounds as if your disc drive might be failing, especially since you say its happened with more than one game. If you're still under warranty you should have no problems in getting it replaced, although I might hold out until they start releasing the 65nm chipsets and then try and get it replaced. Don't know when that will be however, supposed to be sometime later this year (if you wanted to wait that long).

SoldierForTide

All-American
Sep 28, 2006
Atlanta
Just going on what you said in your post but it sounds as if your disc drive might be failing, especially since you say its happened with more than one game. If you're still under warranty you should have no problems in getting it replaced, although I might hold out until they start releasing the 65nm chipsets and then try and get it replaced. Don't know when that will be however, supposed to be sometime later this year (if you wanted to wait that long).
I appreciate the help man, and not trying to hijack this over a battle of systems. Anyway, thanks...

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
Is the 65nm chip still not out? I figured it was because of the revamped warrentee.

Just a heads up SFT. When I called to get my box the lady said that it would take up to 10 weeks to get it back. So be sure you dont want to play it, if you can play it at all, before you ship it off.

I gotta box mine up this weekend. Its been since they put in the new warantee.

BigAl5833

All-American
Oct 15, 2005
Muscle Shoals, AL
I think i saw some where that some of the 360s would get disc read errors with just a certain kind of disc. If i remember correctly one person said it was covered under warranty, but another said microsoft did not cover theirs but it would be worth calling and checking. Ill search and see if I can find where I saw it at.

If you are wanting to wait untill the new chip comes out I would guess around Thanksgiving.

Someone with more knowledge than me on the 360, does the elite already have the new chip in it? If so you may want to look into an elite, unless you are strapped for cash.

Last edited:

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
I don't believe the Elite's have the new chip. I don't think they've released any 360's with the new 65nm chip yet. Later this year is when I believe they're going to release the new chip, at least from stuff I've read.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
The Elite's don't have the new chip in it yet. They're adding an extra heatsink, better thermal compound and epoxy right now to keep from having the current problems.

You can expect to start seeing the new chips when they announce a price drop.

Request to see the manufacturer date on the 360 you buy. There's a little flap on the box that will let you see serial date and manufacturer date. The later the date the better.

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
one thing i thought about at work today SFT. If your xbox is not under any other warantee other than the ROD than you might not be covered for disc read errors. If you are under your own warantee than you should be covered.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
When I had my XBox360 up on it side I would get scratched up discs and regular disc read errors, but since I laid it back down flat, the problems have gone away.

I did get one disc read error a couple days ago during NCAA 2008, but it was a one time thing, and I haven't cleaned it in ages, so I'm not really surprised.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.