OT: Should I buy a PS3 for its blu-ray capabilities

playball31580

Suspended
Aug 19, 2005
Wish I went to Tuscaloosa for college
I can't seem to make up my mind if I want to get a PS3 or not for it's blu-ray capabilites. I already have a 360 and Wii for gaming, so probably won't be using the PS3 that much for gaming unless somebody can convince me:biggrin2: Anyway, I want to watch blu-ray movies on my 50 incher...so PS3 or not? Actually, the better question would be "Who is going to win the HD movies war format? Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?

TheBamaMan

All-SEC
Jul 17, 2000
Dothan, Al
I cant answer your question, but it is the leading factor in me deciding to get a 360 or a PS3. I think the Blue ray will take off myself, but you never know. In your case, just check out what a blueray player will cost you. Then, if its only another 100 bucks or so, i would say go ahead with the PS3. But if its not, and you love your 360 and Wii, then no need to get it.

I googled this link up and you can see the cost of them at Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...S840CFSXOIgodwld3MQ&type=category&loc=KW-0925

Better yet, here is a cnet review on six different blueray players including the PS3
http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6463_7-6509000.html

Last edited:

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
If you want to watch movies in HD, a PS3 is the cheapest Blu-Ray player you can get at the moment. See my post about how to get a PS3 for $350 + shipping. You also can get 5 or 6 Blu-Ray movies for free....their most B-grade movies though.

If I had my druthers, I would prefer HD DVD to win because I like the added features on HD DVD. But, content is king and Blu-Ray enjoys more studio support at the moment.

I'm honestly waiting until one format wins out over the other or affordable dual-format players come out before jumping in.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Not to change the subject, but what are the added features on HD DVD?
HD DVD is always encoded in VC-1 which is a more advanced codec than what Blu-Ray originally started out with, MPEG2. Blu-Ray movies are moving to VC-1 though.

Also, you can have PiP Director's commentary, the ability to download and upload content over the internet, an enhanced navigation scheme, and more.

Link to an article that discusses some of the features for '300'.

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA
Just be patient, there is a great combo unit coming out this fall from (I think) Hitachi. It will cost more than a PS3 (current estimates run at about $1049) but it will be the best out there AND will play both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, so you don't have to worry about being Betamaxed.

ElkhartTider

All-American
Jan 13, 2005
Elkhart, Indiana
LG already has an HD DVD and Blu-Ray combo player... and its not $1000.. lol

btw Blu-Ray is going to win.. sony and samsung are on their side and blockbuster just signed a deal with blu-ray

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA
LG already has an HD DVD and Blu-Ray combo player... and its not $1000.. lol

btw Blu-Ray is going to win.. sony and samsung are on their side and blockbuster just signed a deal with blu-ray
The LG player you refer to is substandard and is not 100% compatible with HD-DVD. It is incapable of accessing certain features, whereas the unit I was referring to is fully compatible with both formats. And until Universal signs on to do Blu-Ray, the war isn't over (although with the introduction of "true" combo units in the coming months, it may not matter at all.)

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
The LG player you refer to is substandard and is not 100% compatible with HD-DVD. It is incapable of accessing certain features, whereas the unit I was referring to is fully compatible with both formats. And until Universal signs on to do Blu-Ray, the war isn't over (although with the introduction of "true" combo units in the coming months, it may not matter at all.)
Yep. As soon as the full-featured combo units come down to about $200, I'm jumping in.

My wife will want to kill me as I'm going to need to get a new receiver to handle the HDMI connections.

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA
Yep. As soon as the full-featured combo units come down to about $200, I'm jumping in.

My wife will want to kill me as I'm going to need to get a new receiver to handle the HDMI connections.
You can buy an HDMI switchbox for somewhere around the $40-$50 mark. Not too bad, but there are others that cost upwards around $150, but they are electronic and you can switch components back and forth with a remote. Pretty groovy, I must say. Now I just need a bigger TV! ;)

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
HD DVD has built up a lot of momentum recently. They just roped in Universal and Dreamworks to only do HD DVD movies. HD DVD players and movies are cheaper and look no different than Blu Ray. This "war" isnt ending anytime soon. Right now HD DVD is trying to get in bed with Walmart. If they do, look out... I think ultimately the PS3 will be Blu Rays undoing. Sony doesnt know how many people are buying it for movies or to just play games. And they might have sold a few more units than HD DVD, but at what cost? Sony is hoping to win the market share war in the end to bounce back from the massive amounts of money being tossed. They've forced themselves into a position where they must win or be in huge trouble.

Last edited:

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA
HD DVD has built up a lot of momentum recently. They just roped in Universal and Dreamworks to only do HD DVD movies. HD DVD players and movies are cheaper and look no different than Blu Ray. This "war" isnt ending anytime soon. Right now HD DVD is trying to get in bed with Walmart. If they do, look out... I think ultimately the PS3 will be Blu Rays undoing. Sony doesnt know how many people are buying it for movies or to just play games. And they might have sold a few more units than HD DVD, but at what cost? Sony is hoping to win the market share war in the end to bounce back from the massive amounts of money being tossed. They've forced themselves into a position where they must win or be in huge trouble.
That true, but when you examine history, it simply works that way. The XBox had Microsoft losing nearly $500 per unit sold when it debuted. The PS2, not as much, but when it game out for $399, they were still losing money on each unit. These companies do NOT make systems for the purpose of turning a profit on the hardware. The money is made on licensing agreements and a % of sales on software. Sony is hemmoraging money on hardware, but they are still turning some pretty good coin with software licensing. The trick will be whether or not they can get an installed user base that will make 3rd party companies want to keep paying Sony's ridiculous fees. Now they are getting money from studios paying to release their products on the blu-ray format. They are teetering on the edge, but even so, they are still making money hand over fist to offset the financial losses on the hardware. It's the old "cheap razor/pay through the nose for the blades" ploy. Game companies have been doing this since the 8-bit days.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.