First game menu

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Has anyone given any thought as to what they will fix for our first football game of the 2007 season? I am leaning towards baby back ribs which need little attention while cooking, pasta salad probably made the night before, baked beans probably made the night before and reheated before serving and a few cold snacks. Chips and dip, cheese and crackers with some fruit, maybe some fresh baked cookies or fried hand pies. Does anyone have any suggestions? Let's get a thread started for those of us who will be staying home and not fortunate enough to go to the game. Some tailgating ideas for those going would be appreciated too.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Smoking a nice pork shoulder - Boston Butt - starting late Friday night/Sat am . Haven't made up my mind what'll come with it yet but , I know I'll have some Conecuh sausage out there at some point to serve with some sliced NY sharp cheddar and a little maple-mustard for dipping .

Also , I like to make bacon jerky . :eek2: I know it sounds a little strange but , it really does work . I season it with a mix sugar & black pepper .

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Smoking a nice pork shoulder - Boston Butt - starting late Friday night/Sat am . Haven't made up my mind what'll come with it yet but , I know I'll have some Conecuh sausage out there at some point to serve with some sliced NY sharp cheddar and a little maple-mustard for dipping .

Also , I like to make bacon jerky . :eek2: I know it sounds a little strange but , it really does work . I season it with a mix sugar & black pepper .
Tell me more about the bacon jerky. I have a food dehydrator we use to dry fruit and things.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We are doing one of two menus that will be voted on the week before the game.

Menu 1

• Smoked Spare Ribs
  • Tater Salad
  • Baked Beans
  • Pulled Pork Sandwiches
  • Keylime Pie

Menu 2

• Chicken Wings Bought From Sam's
  • Rotel Dip w/Chips
  • Home Made Enchiladas
  • Strawberry Cheese Cake

Hopefully the vote will be for Menu 1 but with the crowd that's coming over I'm not sure.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Tell me more about the bacon jerky. I have a food dehydrator we use to dry fruit and things.
I just lay it off to the side in the smoker once the heat gets low . Go to sleep , wake up 8 hours later and it's done . Too simple not to try . :smile:

I've made beef jerky 3-4 times but , I always get it too brittle . Never quite figured out the right sized slices .

BangnBamaBill

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 19, 2005
Iron City,TN
Here's my probable starting lineup:

Apple wood Smoked Chicken Breasts W/ Homemade White Sauce
Grilled Potatoes and Onions
Green Beans
Corn on the Cob
Tea Sweetened w/ Splenda
Homemade Sugar Free Chocolate Ice Cream :smile::BigA::smile::BigA:

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
i'll probably start off with some sav-a-lot potted meat with some crackrs topped with some texas pete hot sause. next ill get in to the main dish which will be two cans beenie weenie and maybe a can of sardines if were winning. and to wash it all down ive chosen some of milwaukees best chilled to perfection. and for desert ,i'll probably just sit in the recliner and pick my nose,,,at least till half time. roll tide:biggrin2:

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
If you haven't tried "Kellys" Hot Sausage please do! It's the best I have ever had. Great for gumbo & Red Beans and Rice!
when in pcola i head down to joe patties fish market and get about 5 lbs of royal reds some nice thick scamp or grouper fillets. and some fresh oysters . fire up the grill and im in heaven.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Here's my probable starting lineup:

Apple wood Smoked Chicken Breasts W/ Homemade White Sauce
Grilled Potatoes and Onions
Green Beans
Corn on the Cob
Tea Sweetened w/ Splenda
Homemade Sugar Free Chocolate Ice Cream :smile::BigA::smile::BigA:
Bill , what's your sauce ?

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Isn't there some kind of unwritten law that there has to be some kind of charred animal flesh on the menu? Exempting the Left Coast of course. :biggrin:

JH-ATL

Suspended
May 17, 2000
atlanta, ga
Yes, I have the menu>>>>>>

From "Slopes" in Sandy Springs, Ga.

Big pile of baby back ribs............their fried okra(my favorite).......of course baked beans..........corn on the cob.....black eyed peas.....collard greens.....brunswick stew........(wife insists on a salid)........bread and of course!!!!!!

Whiskey........plenty of whiskey and good old-good friends.....some Alabama, some Oklahoma, some Georgia, some Notre Dame...some Georgia Tech.......oh He$%%^^ the list of infadels goes on & on......unfortunately they have been beating our pants off lately......MAYBE THE TIDE HAS TURNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will eat/drink well at my house/spread on game day........and I can enjoy the wives instead of being in the kitchen all afternoon!!!!!!!!!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
I think I'll take the "easy road" & make these cheeseburger pies (Paula Deen recipe) -- although I think I'll make mini-versions instead of a regular size patty. Maybe have a pasta salad, BBQ beans, and of course, something sweet!

Cheeseburger Pie

da_sack86

1st Team
Nov 11, 2004
It looks like I'll be in Phenix City, so it probably be 3lbs of Chicken Comers pulled pork BBQ, half a loaf of Bunny Bread, 2 pitchers of sweet tea and peanut butter pie for dessert.
Or my folks famous Washed-down Chili for either by itself, Hot Dogs or Scrambled Dawgs with oyster crackers.

RolltideFanz

All-American
Sep 26, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Has anyone given any thought as to what they will fix for our first football game of the 2007 season? I am leaning towards baby back ribs which need little attention while cooking, pasta salad probably made the night before, baked beans probably made the night before and reheated before serving and a few cold snacks. Chips and dip, cheese and crackers with some fruit, maybe some fresh baked cookies or fried hand pies. Does anyone have any suggestions? Let's get a thread started for those of us who will be staying home and not fortunate enough to go to the game. Some tailgating ideas for those going would be appreciated too.
Good grief, did reading that ever make me hungry! :biggrin:

RolltideFanz

All-American
Sep 26, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Oh great, I was just planning on ordering pizza and getting buzzed on sodas, but now you guys are all making me think I need to do something more.

How about:
a nice slow cooked bbq pork loin roast
cajun seasoned baked potato wedges
macaroni salad
sweetened ice tea
and a pecan pie for desert?

:tongue:

BangnBamaBill

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 19, 2005
Iron City,TN
Bill , what's your sauce ?
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I tend to lurk more on here than actually chime in! My sauce is really nothing special, just results from experimentation. If you don't like it, I don't blame you!

Quick Home Made White Sauce
1 cup regular or light mayo ( But don't use fat free, or your sauce will be taste-free!)
1 Tbsp. white or cider vinegar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp (or more,to taste) ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp (or so) sugar (to taste)
Makes 1 cup+

If you desire a little more "bite" in your sauce, add a little worcestershire sauce (a squirt or so) I use it to replace the horseradish that's in commercial white sauce. I can do without horseradish the rest of my life! ;)

Tide Tales

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2006
Hamburger Soup with Homemade Corn-Yankee Style-bread!

Dessert is ice cream. I'll be listening to Eli & Kenny from the top and can't schedule too much stuff that needs attention-I'll miss something!:D

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.