You Make the Call - Aug. 27

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
I will usually post YMTC on Tuesday, but I got the itch and couldn't wait. I am going to start with a situation and present two different scenarios. See if you can come up with the correct ruling:

Team Red has the ball on Team White's 25 yd. line, 1st and 10. The rb for Red runs the ball to the 20 yd. line, where a defender for White tries to tackle him.

a). White grabs Red's facemask and pulls his helmet off at the 20, bringing him down at that point.

b). In attempting to tackle Red, White's helmet gets knocked off and Red continues to run into the end zone.

What is the ruling in situation a and b?

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
Okay, I'll bite. In both cases, the play would immediately be blown dead. In A, you'd have a 15 yard facemask penalty, which will be penalized 1/2 the distance to the goal from the 20. So, first and goal at the 10. In B, I'm going to guess no penalty since the defensse never grabbed the facemask. So, second and five at the 20.

TideAlum

1st Team
Jun 29, 2007
Okay, I'll bite. In both cases, the play would immediately be blown dead. In A, you'd have a 15 yard facemask penalty, which will be penalized 1/2 the distance to the goal from the 20. So, first and goal at the 10. In B, I'm going to guess no penalty since the defensse never grabbed the facemask. So, second and five at the 20.
I agree with TideHead.

Edit: After re-reading the scenarios, I no longer agree with TideHead about part B. During my first read, I thought the runner's helmet was knocked off. Because it was the defender's helmet that was knocked off, the play continues. Thus, the end result is a touchdown.

A) Personal foul face mask penalty. Half the distance to the goal. 1st and goal from the 10.
B) Touchdown Red

Last edited:

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Not bad guys. The play is blown dead only if the ball carrier loses his helmet. In (a) the ball is blown dead at the 20 and it is a half the distance penalty -- first down at the 10. In (b) it is still live -- Touchdown. This is true even if the defensive player tries to get back in the play.

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004
Here's my guess without looking at the other answers.

A) Red will have the ball 1st and goal at the white 10 yard line. Half the distance to the goal.

B) Give the Red team 6 pts.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Y'all are getting good:

a). The play should be blown dead when the ball carrier's helmet comes off. The facemask would be the personal foul type which carries a 15 yd. penalty. Since it is at the 20, half the distance, 1st and 10 (or goal) at the 10.

b). The only circumstance that a play will be blown dead with a helmet coming off is if the helmet is the ball carrier's. TD Red.

Folks, I try to say this every year. Go out this Friday (or Thursday) and support your local HS football team. They need your support, and it is a cheap night out and lots of fun.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.