Halo ?

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
I've never played Halo or Halo 2 but I've pre-ordered Halo 3 and I'm wondering will I be missing that much if I just jump in at 3 or does it really matter? Should I play the first two before playing 3 or should I be good to go? I know some of the background on the game, like the main characters and basically what's going on but outside of that not much. Thoughts?

CrazyBamaMan

1st Team
Sep 17, 2002
Duluth, GA.
tidefans.com
I played the first and second editions of Halo and have come to the conclusion that you can pick up either one and become a master. So I feel that you should be fine after you get used to the controls. Practice is key (esp. if you are considering playing online!) as well as patience. As with any new game you will be horrible when you first play it, but over time, frustration, and maybe a few foul words you will improve. Online play is going to be out of this world. If you start off soon and take you lumps early, you should be fine against the more experienced Halo players (online). Good luck- You are going to have a blast!

Last edited:

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
You'll be missing some of the back story behind Halo 3 but I don't think you'll be missing any of the gameplay enjoyment. Some of the best parts of Halo is playing multi-player online which doesn't require any back story.

Still, if you are interested in the back story, check out some of the Halo novels. I read The Fall of Reach before I played the first Halo and it made it much more enjoyable I think.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Thanks for the thoughts guys! I looked into the story much more last night and feel I have a pretty good grasp on what has taken place through the first two. Can't wait for next week! :smile:

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
Never played halo 1 or 2 either (technically ive played halo 2 for 5 mins). My friends are trying to get me on the bandwagon.

SoldierForTide

All-American
Sep 28, 2006
Atlanta
I don't really think you'll miss much and from the sounds of it you won't need much story, because the game seems primarily multiplayer.

Oddly enough, I like it, but I don't find it near as fun/addicting as a lot of others. I find myself getting really peeved off and behind the curve of your average 12 hour a day player. After a few month it seemed like everyone else online left me in the dust!

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
I don't really think you'll miss much and from the sounds of it you won't need much story, because the game seems primarily multiplayer.
~12 hour campaign that can be played co-op with up to 4 players. Decent length for a FPS made extra spicey with the 4-player online co-op.

Multiplayer extends the enjoyment though there will be some who will jump straight to the multiplayer and ignore the campaign altogether.

SoldierForTide

All-American
Sep 28, 2006
Atlanta
~12 hour campaign that can be played co-op with up to 4 players. Decent length for a FPS made extra spicey with the 4-player online co-op.

Multiplayer extends the enjoyment though there will be some who will jump straight to the multiplayer and ignore the campaign altogether.
What I really meant was I doubt the story will be one that keeps you more engaged than multiplayer.

Something probably like.

Go from here to here.
Go from here to collect this with the help of this person.
Take the thing to this place with said person.
Said person betrays you and now you have to retrieve the thing.
Everything is about to die, reach the place to retrieve the thing and leave.
*** Ending must leave user unfulfilled, so we can make a sequel. ***

^ That's probably not really the story, just making a point that the single player will be pretty straight forward and offer no deep real plot.

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
I played an online game and had the most kills in a particular round. From what I can gather, winning means you are a homosexual. All the 13 year olds decided that I was a stupid gay cheater after I beat them. Good times...

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
That's pretty much universal for any game you play online.
Yep. It just happens more on Xbox Live because the voice chat is universal through all games. Happened all the time when I played PC games that have voice chat like Battlefield 2.

Fortunately, Xbox Live and Halo 3 allows you to selectively mute other players.

Last edited:

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
That's pretty much universal for any game you play online.
Not really. I've played several games where players were mature. Its an xbox live thing, not an online thing.

update: upon winning another game, my entire family is gay and should go kill themselves. lol

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Just got my copy in the mail today, digging it so far, lots of action and lots of fun. Too bad I missed out on the first two! :smile:

#14#13

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2007
I played an online game and had the most kills in a particular round. From what I can gather, winning means you are a homosexual. All the 13 year olds decided that I was a stupid gay cheater after I beat them. Good times...
This is why i play ghost recon. People with patience to wait on a kill.(anyone over 25) not hop hop hop hop hop hop hop hop hop hop (anyone under 17). all the hoppers usually jump on recon when its first released and then call it gay since they cannot sit still, and then go and play halo. Once recon has been out for a few months (now) the games are quite entertaining. I usually play seige.

Last edited:

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
I'm new to the Halo world. Is there any way I can play games against bots? Do I have to have other people there to play things like capture the flag or stuff like that? If so that is horrible because it eliminates a lot of the replay value of the game. I'm not quite ready to spend the money to join Live since I don't have the time to dedicate to online gaming. Anyway...any help would be nice. Thanks.

BigAl5833

All-American
Oct 15, 2005
Muscle Shoals, AL
I picked the game up used last night, and jumped straight in to online multiplayer. I was horrible, but it was pretty fun. My brother on the other hand killed me everytime he was near me. Hopefully with some practice I can get better. I originally had bought Skate for the ps3, but talked my self out of opening it and took it back to get Halo 3.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.