You Make the Call - Oct. 2

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Prior to the kickoff of a game, a worker for a local radio station approaches the referee and asks him to wear and use a wireless microphone during the coin toss and on penalty announcement and enforcement. Is this allowable?

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
Prior to the kickoff of a game, a worker for a local radio station approaches the referee and asks him to wear and use a wireless microphone during the coin toss and on penalty announcement and enforcement. Is this allowable?
not sure if its in the rule book or not but don't they do this in college and the pros but with TV mics.

hey tidehawk i grew up in wetumpka how long have you been there?

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I believe this is allowable only if the ref has a switch to enable/disable the mike. It is at the referee's discretion.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Well, two weeks in a row you bring up things that I would just have no way of answering other than just making a wild guess. So, I'll guess... maybe. :biggrin:

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
not sure if its in the rule book or not but don't they do this in college and the pros but with TV mics.

hey tidehawk i grew up in wetumpka how long have you been there?

I grew up in Wetumpka - graduated from WHS in 1982. After moving around, came back in '96 and will most definitely die here - just hope it is when I am a lot older. :)

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
TideHawk, you got me on this one. My guess is that it would not be allowable. Supplemental equipment may be used to aid in game administration if it has been authorized by the State. A microphone to announce penalties over the PA system is considered supplemental equipment. However, having the referee miked to announce penalties, etc., over the radio broadcast doesn't aid in game administration, it only enhances the radio broadcast. For that reason, I do not think that it would be allowable -- unless the State has given specific approval for the arrangement.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
TideHawk, you got me on this one. My guess is that it would not be allowable. Supplemental equipment may be used to aid in game administration if it has been authorized by the State. A microphone to announce penalties over the PA system is considered supplemental equipment. However, having the referee miked to announce penalties, etc., over the radio broadcast doesn't aid in game administration, it only enhances the radio broadcast. For that reason, I do not think that it would be allowable -- unless the State has given specific approval for the arrangement.
Like I said, maybe... :wink:

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
I would allow it.

Worked a semi-final game a few years ago where I wore a TV mic that didn't go over the stadium PA. There were quite a few AHSAA instructors / evaluators there, & no one said a word about it.

So, I guess it's OK, at least in Alabama.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
jake, you were the closest. It is not allowable unless approved by the state.

I have seen something similar to this done, however. The PA announcer wanted the ref to announce penalty administration over the PA and had a wireless mike. The ref got frustrated, however, when it would cut in and out and stopped using it half way through the second period.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.