You Make The Call

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm going to preempt Tidehawk and give you guys a play from our game last Friday night.

K makes a free kick from the K 20-yd line following a safety. Not wanting to risk a runback by one of R's speedsters, they pooch it to the K 45-yd line, where R58 corrals it & proceeds to run it back for an apparent TD.

After the play is over, I'm surrounded by 2 officials (hey, I'm not very big!), each with a flag on the play. The first flag is for a 15-yd facemask against K at the K 15-yd line. The second flag is against R58 for celebrating in the end zone (and who could blame him?).

What are the options I gave to R? (Jake & Tidehawk, please delay your answers)

Last edited:

ih8auburn

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 14, 2006
R gets the option of taking the face mask penalty making it first and goal at the 7 and 1/2 yard line (half the distance) and then adding the 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that R got to that making it 1st and 10 from K's 22 and 1/2 yard line.

Or, they can decline the face mask penalty and take the TD. Since the celebrating penalty is a dead ball foul, it will be enforced on the kickoff.

The dead ball foul is enforced no matter what.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
If R accepts the facemask, that offsets the celebration penalty and the down is replayed (e.g. rekick). If they decline the penalty the dead ball foul is enforced, the touchdown counts and the penalty is enforced on the PAT.

TideAlum

1st Team
Jun 29, 2007
First of all, there's no way that R would accept the face mask penalty because it would negate the TD...although I assume you have to give that option to the coach.

On the celebration penalty, it is a dead ball foul penalty. The coach of K has the option of enforcing that penalty on R's extra point try or on the kickoff.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
This was a little tricky, but most of you were on the right track.

K's facemask foul is a live-ball foul. Effective this year in high school football, a team which scores a TD and is live-ball fouled by it's opponent has the option of taking the penalty yardage either on the try, or on the succeeding kickoff. The TD will stand in either case.

R's celebration foul is a dead-ball foul, and must be enforced at the succeeding spot (the try, in this case).

So, R gets the TD and can:

(1) Take the 15-yd facemask on the try. That would move the ball to the 1 1/2 yd-line, but they will then be penalized 15 yds for the celebration foul, thus trying the XP from the 16 1/2.

OR

(2) Take the facemask on the ensuing kickoff. They would try the XP from the 18, but get to kick off from the opponent's 45. (This is the option R took in our game)

K gets no option in either case. Nor do we pair the live-ball foul with the dead-ball foul to create offsetting fouls.

Please don't try this at home, folks. Remember -- I am a trained professional!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.