Varner resigns as Southern Choctaw Head Coach...in mid-season!

TiderinMiss

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2000
Clinton, MS
The Mobile Press-Register

With his team struggling to a 2-4 record and a date with No. 3 Leroy looming Friday night, Southern Choctaw football coach Anthony Varner resigned on Monday...

... "It came as a surprise to me," said Southern Choctaw defensive coordinator Charles Chaney, who has been named the Indians' interim head coach. "We were trying to make the ship right. ... We're going to go along with what we've got right now and just hope we can work this thing out. It's too late in the season (to change anything)."

TiderinMiss

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2000
Clinton, MS
Boy, that went south in a hurry. Wasn't this his first year?
Yep. He coaches five games, and he's out.

I'll say this...

Even though it's a small, 2-A school, they still have a lot of pride in their football program (won three state titles in the last ten years and go to the playoffs almost every year), there's pressure to win in Silas. One other coach started the year badly in 1988, and he lasted only that one season.

But, Mike Herndon stated in his write-up that the coach missed his family over in eastern Alabama. Probably both factored into his decision.

I just wonder who they will get to to replace him.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
I figured it had to be some kind of personal issue or personality dispute for a man to quit in the middle of the season. He has basically crippled his players for this year.

silentsam74

All-American
Dec 30, 2005
Sylvania, Alabama, United States
Yep. He coaches five games, and he's out.

I'll say this...

Even though it's a small, 2-A school, they still have a lot of pride in their football program (won three state titles in the last ten years and go to the playoffs almost every year), there's pressure to win in Silas. One other coach started the year badly in 1988, and he lasted only that one season.

But, Mike Herndon stated in his write-up that the coach missed his family over in eastern Alabama. Probably both factored into his decision.

I just wonder who they will get to to replace him.
Between them and Clay Co. they probably had it just about wrapped up didn't they? Clay Co won state from '94-'96 in 2A then again in '02 in 1A and in '05 they beat Southern Choctaw in the 2A final. Thats the only time I can find that they met in the playoffs. Clay Co played for state against Pike Co last year in 3A. :) Went and watched #2 Clay Co at #8 Hokes Bluff. Thought Hokes Bluff had their usual tough, physical team. Just too many mistakes and Clay Co didn't return the favor at all. Clay Co won 30-7 but it really was a lot closer than that until late in the fourth.

Last edited:

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
My brother was head coach at Parrish (1A) when they won the state in 2003, one of his assistants was named head coach when he left before the 2005 season. The assistant (now head coach) resigned from the HC job after 4-5 games this year. Wierd. I think another coach (Carbon Hill 3A) resigned less than 2 weeks before the season started this year. Unusual stuff for sure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.