The ginormous Texas A&M / Coach Fran thread

TidenLA

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2001
Sparks, Nevada
Re: Texas A&M Coach Fran admonished and Mike McKenzie is fired

I used to love to root for the Aggies before Fran went there. When he is fired and he will be fired, I will root for them again. Paybacks are a Beyotch!!

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

I wonder why WriterMike got fired? When a boss instructs an employ to do something against company policy, the boss gets fired, not the employee.

AlabamaSooner

All-SEC
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta, GA

I am soooo glad this greaseball frannie and his buddy mike left Alabama. Hindsight is 20-20, but that really worked out for the best.
Here's the scary thing; what if he had done this same thing had he stayed at Bama longer? That might have death penalty written all over it since we weren't outside our "window" yet. How glorious of a day that was when he boarded the plane.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.

I wonder why WriterMike got fired? When a boss instructs an employ to do something against company policy, the boss gets fired, not the employee.
One is the Head Coach in the Middle of the Season the other isn't, bout the gist of it anyhow.

Last edited:

TiderinMiss

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2000
Clinton, MS

I used to love to root for the Aggies before Fran went there. When he is fired and he will be fired, I will root for them again. Paybacks are a Beyotch!!

What if Tuberville becomes their coach? ;)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com

Athletic director Bill Byrne said he did not fire head coaches in the middle of football season but this newsletter incident would be part of fRans end of season evaluation. Although WriterMike is no longer an employee of aTm it is unknown to Byrne or others if Mike McKinzie is still in the employment of Dennis Franchione in some capacity.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

Talk about a Buzz killer for recruiting! An Aubie co-worker and I were talking about all of this a bit ago. He commented that Frannie didn't even get the dreaded vote of confidence. That made me realize that Tubs might be the only coach in modern NCAA history to get the vote of confidence and survive to continue coaching.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.

Umm...why?
can't have a coach leaving after having such a winning record against us and still coaching. I don't have the affinity or love some have for A&M myself other than CGS being there , that's about all that I can say I like about aTm.

it was more a less a joke , but really I don't care for them.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com

I saw that also, guess he had his sites set on one of our commits. most likely wishful thinking on his part.
It was either Stan Eggen, Mark Tommerdahl or Jim Bob Helduser who began recruiting players to aTm while still employed by the University of Alabama right before fRan left.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

Athletic director Bill Byrne said he did not fire head coaches in the middle of football season but this newsletter incident would be part of fRans end of season evaluation..
Yeah, I understood that part, but it doesn't make sense (logically or legally) to fire an employee who broke company rules under the direction of his supervisor without firing the supervisor as well. The only legal way to do that would be to assert that the employee acted alone.

Byrne is also not being genuine when he says that he does not fire head coaches in the middle of the season. While that may be true for coaches that are simply under performing, there is no way that any school would hesitate to fire a coach for ethical or behavioral violations.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Yeah, I understood that part, but it doesn't make sense (logically or legally) to fire an employee who broke company rules under the direction of his supervisor without firing the supervisor as well. The only legal way to do that would be to assert that the employee acted alone.

Byrne is also not being genuine when he says that he does not fire head coaches in the middle of the season. While that may be true for coaches that are simply under performing, there is no way that any school would hesitate to fire a coach for ethical or behavioral violations.
It's actually not smart to fire him now - history shows that it generally hurts recruiting, and you won't find a decent coach available right now anyway. Byrne is likely already talking to Fran's replacement's manager, but the smart move is to stay the course until the season is over, then move quickly - less likely to hurt recruiting.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Geewhilerkers. I have heard of coaches and players being thrown under the bus but this is the first time I know of the bus running over a PR man. Poor Fran. Who will beat his drum for him now? :smash:

Friday with Fran was the most stupid thing I have ever seen in football. I read most of them each week. I would just shake my head and think "how can grown men come up with this stuff." If you don't have anything to say you should say nothing.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

And yet you read them weekly.

I read them weekly when he was here. Heck, I actually looked forward to reading them. Even worse, I wrote an email or two to the site that first season with attaboys. I drank that bitter, bitter cool-aid.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton

Aggies claim fRan has done this everywhere he has coached. They want Alabama to come clean and report violations on this as well.

One poster even went so far to state the following...

If they would have dealt with the issue previously, it wouldn't have made its way to A&M as a problem.
TexAgs.com thread

Wow. Just wow.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Aggies claim fRan has done this everywhere he has coached. They want Alabama to come clean and report violations on this as well.

One poster even went so far to state the following...

TexAgs.com thread

Wow. Just wow.
Desperate people say desperate things
:pDT_inv:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com

It's actually not smart to fire him now - history shows that it generally hurts recruiting, and you won't find a decent coach available right now anyway. Byrne is likely already talking to Fran's replacement's manager, but the smart move is to stay the course until the season is over, then move quickly - less likely to hurt recruiting.
A&M used Chuck Neinas to grab fRan from us and will likely use him again to start testing the interest level of certain coaches.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006

A&M used Chuck Neinas to grab fRan from us and will likely use him again to start testing the interest level of certain coaches.
I'd be willing to bet that process has likely already started. :smile:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.