The ginormous Texas A&M / Coach Fran thread

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Re: Texas A&M Coach Fran admonished and Mike McKenzie is fired

Part of one of his newletters from espn.com that I found interesting...

mhttp://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3058459

Wonder who the Alabama part was in reference to? Damian Square?
McKenzie took several shots at Bama in his VIP e-mails.

---Original Message----
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 9:59 AM
To: VIPconnection@coachfran.com
Subject: [VIP Connection] recruiting

I remember so clearly, as if a tape were in my head, an interview back in the late '70s at Alabama, with an o-lineman who asked me to write an article to help locate a young boy with whom he had been associated in the Big Brothers program. I have used this story many times. I asked him, "How did you become interested in this program?" He replied, "Through my major, social work."

I: "Why did you pick social work?"

He: "Because it was the only thing they could get me into...."

That was (and remains? I dunno) the major of many Alabama players back in that period. Later, a major became popular in law enforcement.

Bama1970

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2007
Lucedale, Ms

Looks like that rope that fRan is always talking about has finally found its way around his neck!

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama

Fran's goose is cooked and he will not be coaching in College Station next season. Texas A&M officials know it and so does Fran. It is highly probable that Fran has approached TAM about a negotiating a departure package. I mentioned this on another thread, but this secret, exclusive newsletter is really not a big deal. If Fran was pleasing the masses out there, this insider newsletter would have been handled very discretely. But, he is not winning and this is an excuse to "grease the skids".

We are truly fortunate that he decided to "leave in the night". At the time, the Alabama faithful were pleased with his coaching and wanted him to stay. I was one of them. If he had stayed at Bama, this mess would be on our doorstep right now.

Maybe it really is time to have some things go in our favor.

Bama1970

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2007
Lucedale, Ms

Fran's goose is cooked and he will not be coaching in College Station next season. Texas A&M officials know it and so does Fran. It is highly probable that Fran has approached TAM about a negotiating a departure package. I mentioned this on another thread, but this secret, exclusive newsletter is really not a big deal. If Fran was pleasing the masses out there, this insider newsletter would have been handled very discretely. But, he is not winning and this is an excuse to "grease the skids".

We are truly fortunate that he decided to "leave in the night". At the time, the Alabama faithful were pleased with his coaching and wanted him to stay. I was one of them. If he had stayed at Bama, this mess would be on our doorstep right now.

Maybe it really is time to have some things go in our favor.
I'll just be glad when people start seriously talking about his replacement and Coach Tubby's name keeps popping up and it wrecks Barns recruiting year, not that its that good anyway.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Would someone enlighten us on the background of Mike Mckenzie? I know he was at Bama with Fran and followed him to TAM, but what additional history?
McKenzie was a private contractor when he worked for Franchione while at TCU and here at Bama. At A&M, McKenzie does have the title of "special assistant to the athletic director". McKenzie does have some official duties. He helps assemble the game programs, for example. But McKenzie is mainly Franchione's personal assistant

BocaLance

All-American
Oct 18, 2001
Douglasville (Atlanta), GA

McKenzie was a private contractor when he worked for Franchione while at TCU and here at Bama. At A&M, McKenzie does have the title of "special assistant to the athletic director". McKenzie does have some official duties. He helps assemble the game programs, for example. But McKenzie is mainly Franchione's personal assistant
You mean was Franchione's personal assistant.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

You mean was Franchione's personal assistant.
He was fired by aTm I believe. Fran could keep paying him if he so chooses, just not to represent the University on anything.

It might be in Fran's best interest to not deal harshly with a fellow partner in crime:)

Bama1970

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2007
Lucedale, Ms

He was fired by aTm I believe. Fran could keep paying him if he so chooses, just not to represent the University on anything.

It might be in Fran's best interest to not deal harshly with a fellow partner in crime:)

This could be the "ENRON" of college football.:biggrin: everybody rolling over on everybody

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton

What I was told by an aTm booster was fRan was safe again if he won 8 games and a bowl game. If he won less than 8 games or lost his bowl he was probably going to be replaced...
Picture for a second BAMA crushing aTm in the Cotton Bowl thereby putting the final nail in fRans' coffin. Talk about ironic justice...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Would someone enlighten us on the background of Mike Mckenzie? I know he was at Bama with Fran and followed him to TAM, but what additional history?
Mike McKenzie is a sportswriter by background. Don't know his training, other than the fact that ethics either was missing or didn't take.

Believe it or not, he was sports editor at the Tuscaloosa News for a time in the glory years of the 70s.

Some members of the OFC will remember the collapse of some elevated walkways across the atrium of a hotel in Kansas City during a New Year's Eve party years ago -- 1980s maybe? -- a real tragedy, with dozens of people killed or hurt. It was after his departure from Tuscaloosa, and he was there (or claimed to be, anyway) and wrote some really moving stuff about it.

After fran left, I always wondered if it had been spun. That's a shame. Assuming it were true, it was powerful. But given the author, and knowing what we now know, it's impossible to tell what made a good story and what actually happened.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007

I'll just be glad when people start seriously talking about his replacement and Coach Tubby's name keeps popping up and it wrecks Barns recruiting year, not that its that good anyway.
imo, its already wrecked compared to the last few years.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

I am soooo glad this greaseball frannie and his buddy mike left Alabama. Hindsight is 20-20, but that really worked out for the best.
I'm by no means standing up for fRan, but the "greaseball" comment should have been kept to yourself. :mad2:

I really don't see where his being of Italian heritage has anything to do with his behavior regarding this or anything else for that matter.

bmcklv

All-American
Nov 27, 2006
Huntsville, Alabama

If they would have dealt with the issue previously, it wouldn't have made its way to A&M as a problem.
Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are. ROFLMBO

:tongue:

bat123

All-American
Re: A&M fires Mike McKenzie

I don't think its fair that the Texas A&M football program may have to suffer further for Franny's actions. By reporting violations, I'm pretty sure that the athletic dept. will self-impose some type of sanctions against the football program, on top of probably letting Fran go. Then the coaching search ensues, and we here know what that can do to a program's momentum if they have trouble filling the position. On top of all of this, if the NCAA decides that they need to step in and dole out the righteous punishment from on high, we Bama faithful know what that can do to a program when it is hanging over your head.

Its just not fair to the program. Fran and MM did this without the knowledge of anybody else, or at least that is what it sounds like happened. I hate how coaches can leave a program in NCAA trouble, and the trouble stays with the program. It should follow the coach!
I hope they get nailed, I will never forget how their fan base acted when fRan was being courted by and took the aTm job. They are getting exactly what they deserve. Personally I hope this drags on for years taking them further down the toilet, couldn't happen to a more deserving fanbase (with the exception of the barn or ut-ers)
TCU tried to tell us and it appears they were right all along.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States

This is from the hometown paper in College Station.

Byrne now must clean up Franchione's mess

By ROBERT CESSNA
Eagle Columnist

Bill Byrne had plenty to say Thursday when Texas A&M released its findings in the internal investigation into Dennis Franchione's secret e-mailed newsletter.

Yet it was what Byrne didn't say that mattered most.

He didn't say that Franchione would be A&M's football coach for 2008.

That's something that will be decided at season's end.

Byrne doesn't talk about a coach's status during the season. It's always been his policy, and it's a good one.

Byrne launched an even better policy Thursday. He never wants to deal with another internal investigation. It will not become a tradition under his watch. One was one too many.

And that's why Franchione's days in Aggieland seem numbered.

http://www.aggiesports.com/stories/101207/football_20071012001.php

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

Oh yes, I read them. Better than the comic section. Example: "playing Miami will give us a chance to showcase our talent nationwide." And I laughed and said out loud (fRan causes me to talk to myself) "well Fran, what will you say when they make you look bad?"

And this is what Fran said. "If we could have gone into the half down by 14 we would have had a chance to win." Now that is showcasing your talent!

I am going to miss him when he is gone!

ps Fran needs a hug today.

I should have used a smiley. I was being sarcastic. You gave us lots of good material from his writeups.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.