Favorite hard liquor thread

bbqman

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2006
Decatur, AL
The beer thread was popular so here goes.

First of all, since the NCAA's last visit I have decided nothing good comes from Tennessee including their liquor. I have placed a ban on Tennessee whiskey and found out I can live without Jack Daniels. I like Kentucky whiskey such as Knob Creek as well if not better.

I have also taken a liking to Rum now that I have found some really great rum instead of the just good rum sold in most US liquor stores. La Favorite Blanc and Rhum Clement VSOP are the best to me.

I really like good vodka and Belvedere is my favorite. I don't know what the infatuation with Gray Goose is all about. It's too harsh for my taste. My second favorite vodka is the lowly Absolute. If I want flavored vodka I flavor my own.

I like Scotch so well I collect them. Without counting I probably have close to 50 bottles of Scotch with varying levels of Scotch inside each bottle. My favorite for the present is Dalwhinnie. It's a lighter, smother, more fragrant scotch good poured over ice.

I don't have much use for Gin but keep a bottle of Plymouth for company.

Tequila, there is a bottle of Herradura Blanco and some Mayor but I don't like Tequila very much.
For those of us who can't get their hands on quality Scotch; what is your favorite basic Alabama Liquour store single malt?

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I have tried tequila and want to like sipping tequilla, but don't. I do have a fifth of Patron Anejo in the cabinet and just can't make myself use it for marguritas. A buddy says that the Cuervo Gold is only good for making margurita's for the inlaws.

I've gotten where I like rum and OJ or rum, coke, and a splash of lime. I was hoping to really get to check out different rums while in PR a few weeks back. The only liquor I saw was in Wal-Mart and in the 5 minutes I had in the duty free store in the airport. I almost missed my plane but was able to pickup 4L of Captains for friends.

I like Woodford Reserve. I've tried the various Bookers but it's too strong for me. Their website used to have some Booker quotes and voiceovers. One of them was something like, "The proper size drink for Booker is 2 fingers. Lucky for me I have big fingers."

I do like Crown and coke, absolute and cranberry (I'm not a vodka snob, any of it will do), Captains and coke, and even a little Bailey's every now and again.

I brought 2L of Sangsters Rum Creme, and 1L of Appleton 12 year rum back from Jamaica this summer but have yet to open any of it. I think some of the Rum Creme will wind up with me on a backpacking trip in KY in Dec. It'll probably be good to sip around the campfire and try to keep warm.

danny_d_lsu

Oct 25, 2007
New Orleans, Louisiana
Im partial to Crown Royal, Gentleman Jack, Maker's Mark, Old Charter and Woodford Reserve.

Scotch tastes like crap.....heard years ago that scotch was an "acquired taste"
I wasnt lied to.....LOL
Its kinda cool that you throw Old Charter in with that list of drinks, Evan Williams is my drink of choice, sprite or coke to mix, it doesn't matter, as long as nothing diet goes near that drink. Diet is just GROSS

JH-ATL

Suspended
May 17, 2000
atlanta, ga
Bottle of red wine.

Thingamagig of your choosing to remove cork.

Remove cork.

Wine glass of your chosing......pour in wine...........drink!!!!!!!!

Simple...........very simple.........no mixing problems.

blackumbrella

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
dominican harlem
i had a drink last night that surprisingly enjoyable. makers, maple syrup (the real kind), and lemon juice. typically i slap people in the face for drinking makers. when people say "makers is os smooth" what they mean is it has zero spice to it, and that's bc it has no rye in its mash. it's like the flavored vodka of bourbons: sexy bottle, bland enough for teenage girls to drink. so at first i thought mixing it with syrup would be godawful--way too sweet. but it was just a touch of syrup, and bc it was real maple syrup, it added more maple than sweetness, and the lemon juice balanced the slight sweetness very well. i also had a mean grog made with capt morgan, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and some kind of tea.

Nash-Bama

1st Team
Dec 6, 1999
Tuscaloosa, AL
myspace.com
The beer thread was popular so here goes.

First of all, since the NCAA's last visit I have decided nothing good comes from Tennessee including their liquor.

Can you cut me some slack? I was born and raised in Tennessee and lived there all my life until 3 years ago. But I'm a big BAMA fan. My biggest complaint about Alabama though is the liquor prices are so much higher than they were in Tennessee. For instance, the big bottle of Skyy Vodka at the ABC stores here is $31.99. In Nashville, I could get it for $21.99. At the independent liquor stores here, it's over $50. I stock up when I go home to Nashville.

As far as liquor, I prefer "white" liquors. Not much of a bourbon or whiskey fan. I like vodka. Skyy is really good. I also like Grey Goose and Belvedere, though I think they are overpriced and not really any better than Skyy or Finlandia. I saw a blind taste test on the Fine Living channel once, and Finlandia beat out both of them. I tend to agree.

I also like a good gin Martini and my favorite for that is Bombay Sapphire. I do love a good lemon drop martini made with the lemon Vodka, such as Absolute Citron.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Can you cut me some slack? I was born and raised in Tennessee and lived there all my life until 3 years ago. But I'm a big BAMA fan. My biggest complaint about Alabama though is the liquor prices are so much higher than they were in Tennessee. For instance, the big bottle of Skyy Vodka at the ABC stores here is $31.99. In Nashville, I could get it for $21.99. At the independent liquor stores here, it's over $50. I stock up when I go home to Nashville.

As far as liquor, I prefer "white" liquors. Not much of a bourbon or whiskey fan. I like vodka. Skyy is really good. I also like Grey Goose and Belvedere, though I think they are overpriced and not really any better than Skyy or Finlandia. I saw a blind taste test on the Fine Living channel once, and Finlandia beat out both of them. I tend to agree.

I also like a good gin Martini and my favorite for that is Bombay Sapphire. I do love a good lemon drop martini made with the lemon Vodka, such as Absolute Citron.
Outrageous prices. I love Belvedere, my favorite vodka and one of the very few I can actually tell the difference in. I also buy Absolute Vodka and I don't buy Grey Goose, Vox or any of the other designer Vodkas. Gin is something I can usually do without but I keep a bottle of Plymouth for company. Plymouth Gin is the official Gin of the British Navy.

pcolatide

All-SEC
Sep 4, 2004
Snug Harbor, Florida
My biggest complaint about Alabama though is the liquor prices are so much higher than they were in Tennessee. For instance, the big bottle of Skyy Vodka at the ABC stores here is $31.99. In Nashville, I could get it for $21.99. At the independent liquor stores here, it's over $50. I stock up when I go home to Nashville.
You might want to be really, really careful about that. It could be a violation of the ABC laws. I'm not an authority but I've had friends in Florida that has had some difficulties, so to speak.

Last edited:

MrsNashTIDE

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 5, 2005
Hermitage, TN
Absolute Vodka with grapfruit juice and a healthy dose of salt has been my drink of choice lately.

If I'm drinking dark liquor its Crown or Seagrams in a pinch.

Rum and coke is a nice change.

Scotch = Gag

Tequila makes me feel bad???????? I love a good margaritta.

Gin, not since that night.... never mind.

RTR
Gin will make you sin!

Nash-Bama

1st Team
Dec 6, 1999
Tuscaloosa, AL
myspace.com
You might want to be really, really careful about that. It could be a violation of the ABC laws. I'm not an authority but I've had friends in Florida that has had some difficulties, so to speak.
Yeah, I've heard that before. It would only be a problem if I got pulled over and had my car searched for some reason though. So far so good. I drive very carefully! I do know of someone getting stopped coming in from Florida too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.