Suggestions for Ribs

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I need some advice on preparing ribs. I recently bought a smoker and have been experimenting with pork loin, ham, and I recently tried to smoke some baby back ribs. The pork loin and ham turned out great, but I need some help with the ribs. Here's what I did:

I cooked the ribs on an eletric grill on low heat for about 15 minutes to just give them a head start on getting done. Then I bathed them repeatedly in barbeque sauce and smoked them over hickory chips for about three hours.

The flavor was great, but they were a little tough. Actually the tough part was that plastic-like film on the underside of the ribs. Needless to say, my son and I devoured them but my wife and daughter turned up their noses because they weren't tender enough. Women!

How do I get that "falling off the bones effect?"

TideRollsInVa

All-SEC
Oct 16, 1999
Lake Martin, AL & Atlanta
Step 1 in cooking Ribs - Take off the silver skin or film, as you called it, but its known as the membrane and is attached to the underside of the bones. Take a knife and pry a little bit off, then grab it with your fingers and peel the while thing off. You discovered that it can't chew it but also marinades, rubs and sauces can't penetrate it.

One thought for tender ribs, is to seal in foil after applying a rub. I'm a rub man. You can smoke for 30 min before sealing up the foil if you want the heavy smoke taste. I normally open the foil and cook for a browning affect toward the end and honestly, lump wood charcoal and a well seasoned smoker will give a good smoke taste. Don't sauce till very end if you want sauce.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Step 1 in cooking Ribs - Take off the silver skin or film, as you called it, but its known as the membrane and is attached to the underside of the bones. Take a knife and pry a little bit off, then grab it with your fingers and peel the while thing off. You discovered that it can't chew it but also marinades, rubs and sauces can't penetrate it.

One thought for tender ribs, is to seal in foil after applying a rub. I'm a rub man. You can smoke for 30 min before sealing up the foil if you want the heavy smoke taste. I normally open the foil and cook for a browning affect toward the end and honestly, lump wood charcoal and a well seasoned smoker will give a good smoke taste. Don't sauce till very end if you want sauce.
Great info. You can tell I'm a neophyte with the ribs. I will take your advice on pulling the membrane off next time. That alone would have improved the tenderness and chewability.

Thanks and I welcome other tips!!!

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
I agree with both posters. Remove the membrane before cooking and add sauce near the end of the cooking time! I've been partial lately to adding a sauce of butter/garlic/worcheshire instead of BBQ. Yummmmmmmmm!

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Great info. You can tell I'm a neophyte with the ribs. I will take your advice on pulling the membrane off next time. That alone would have improved the tenderness and chewability.

Thanks and I welcome other tips!!!
I have a little trouble gripping the membrane with my bare fingers so I use a paper towel between my thumb and forefinger.

aden

Suspended
Jan 30, 2005
citronelle ala
Dry rub or wet marinade,let it sit overnight in the fridge.If someone ever tells you to parboil the ribs turn and walk away.Cook the low and slow and put the sauce on at the end,especially if it is a sweet sauce.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
No bad advice in this thread, just do what those guys have said and you will have good ribs.

I like to cook mine at about 250F wrapped in foil with some apple juice inside. I leave them wrapped for about an hour and a half before I open them and start adding smoke.

Be careful not to let your temp drop below 250 or you will dry your ribs out and above 300 they will be tough from cooking too fast. While the ribs smoke you can occasionally spray with more apple juice in a spray bottle. To test ribs for doneness try lifting a rack and see if they threaten to split from the bone. If they are done, apply sauce and leave on grill another 15 minutes for sauce glaze to set. Paint with top coat of sauce after taking off the grill. Let sit about 15 minutes before cutting ribs apart.

You can also cook ribs in the oven and finish them on a grill or smoker with fantastic results. Do not pre boil ribs, only yankees and people who don't know ribs do this but I have had ribs that were pre boiled in crab boil seasoning that were delicious.

quince

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 25, 2007
I need some advice on preparing ribs. I recently bought a smoker and have been experimenting with pork loin, ham, and I recently tried to smoke some baby back ribs. The pork loin and ham turned out great, but I need some help with the ribs. Here's what I did:

I cooked the ribs on an eletric grill on low heat for about 15 minutes to just give them a head start on getting done. Then I bathed them repeatedly in barbeque sauce and smoked them over hickory chips for about three hours.

The flavor was great, but they were a little tough. Actually the tough part was that plastic-like film on the underside of the ribs. Needless to say, my son and I devoured them but my wife and daughter turned up their noses because they weren't tender enough. Women!

How do I get that "falling off the bones effect?"
First of all you have to have the right equipment. I use a converted 55 gallon drum...consequently the coals aren't as close to the meat as with most other cookers. I usually do about 4 or 5 slabs at a time...put 20 pounds of charcoal in the drum and wait until they are just turning white (but not completely white) before putting the ribs on the grill. I usually put several chunks of dry hickory wood directly on the coals. I usually add hickory chips by the handful every hour or so.

I have a baste that is store bought that I've used for 10 years and it blends better with pork than anything else I've found (not good though if used as a "barbeque sauce"...it has to be cooked into the meat. It's not overpowering and you really don't need additional sauce after they are cooked...that part is optional though. I wait about an hour before turning the ribs on the other side....I baste 2 or 3 times per every hour it takes to cook. Usually takes about 3 to 4 hours to cook....depends on how thick the meat is on the ribs...I prefer the St' Louis style cut with the meat thick.

I prep the ribs by running cold water over each slab to get any blood off and I have a light rub I put on each side. In the past I used to let them marinade in the baste for a few hours before cooking but lately I've found it's easier to start the basting once placed on the grill and I really can't tell any difference either way.

What I've found is the slow cooking process produces the "falling off the bone" effect. All you have to do is keep checking the fire to make sure it isn't too hot at first...the temperature will naturally decrease as the fire burns down but that helps the slow cooking process. If you are doing dozens of ribs you will need to add charcoal along the way but once you get used to how long it takes to "recharge" the fire it isn't difficult.

As with anything, trial & error is a great teacher. I can literally cook these in my sleep now.

Crimson Pig

1st Team
Nov 29, 2004
Interestingly enough, I seem to have come into my own as far as cooking meat one way or another.

Lately, because I'm stuck here at school and not at home, I've had to find different ways to cook my favorite food. Honestly I've done more ribs, roast, pork, etc. etc. in a slow cooker than you'd believe.

I haven't ever had trouble cooking ribs. I would agree with both Quince and TiderollsinVA as far as cooking method that you're looking for. As for straight up cooking on a grill I've never had trouble with the film on the underside of ribs. On the contrary I cook most heavily on that side because it can take the heat a whole lot better. You can cook a bit quicker and not have to worry about burning. But when you're going for that fall-off-the-bone effect, slow cooking is the end-all, be-all way. Sauces and preferred method of flavor is up to you. But use foil in a smoker, definitely.

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
Anyone ever had "fried ribs". Heard someone at the office talking about having some and that they were delicious. That's something I've never tried.

TideBeliever

1st Team
Mar 26, 2003
Huntsville, AL USA
Anyone ever had "fried ribs". Heard someone at the office talking about having some and that they were delicious. That's something I've never tried.
Kind of...I've had some that were smoked, cooled, divided, respiced, floured and then deep fried. They were quite good, but I still prefer smoked falling-off-the-bone ribs to the crispy deep fried version I tasted (were kind of like spicy fried pork chops)

bbqman

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2006
Decatur, AL
Another tip on removing the membrane; use a phillips head screwdriver, roll it under the membrane with your finger on top to get it started and then rip away. Then I rub them down with French's mustard and then my favorite Rub and place on the grate. All wood or charcoal for me - no gas grill at my house!
I prefer Baby back at 3 to 3 1/2 hrs at 250 degrees, last 45 mins or so wrapped in foil. I spray with Apple Cider vinegar, a little Sam A mixed in sometimes, about every 30 mins.
For larger ribs (St Louis style) give it about 5 to 6 hrs at 250 with the same nurturing.
Darn; hungary again and I just spent all day cooking a Brunswick Stew on openfire. I guess it will be ribs next weekend.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Another tip on removing the membrane; use a phillips head screwdriver, roll it under the membrane with your finger on top to get it started and then rip away. Then I rub them down with French's mustard and then my favorite Rub and place on the grate. All wood or charcoal for me - no gas grill at my house!
I prefer Baby back at 3 to 3 1/2 hrs at 250 degrees, last 45 mins or so wrapped in foil. I spray with Apple Cider vinegar, a little Sam A mixed in sometimes, about every 30 mins.
For larger ribs (St Louis style) give it about 5 to 6 hrs at 250 with the same nurturing.
Darn; hungary again and I just spent all day cooking a Brunswick Stew on openfire. I guess it will be ribs next weekend.
Have you ever tried grape juice as a spray? I have been using it occasionally the last year or so. Nice flavor.

bbqman

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2006
Decatur, AL
Have you ever tried grape juice as a spray? I have been using it occasionally the last year or so. Nice flavor.
I have used it and peach juice as well; I find its best to use after its been wrapped in foil because the sugar in the juice tends to crystallize a bit.
Both are great moisturizers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.