Need ideas for boiling shrimp.......

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
....brought home some shrimp from the Gulf and boiled them the other night. I brought some water, beer and seasoning to a boil for about 10 minutes, took it off the heat and let it sit for another 10 minutes. I then brought it back to a boil, put the shrimp in for 2 minutes, took the pot off the heat and let them "steep" for another 5 minutes. They tasted excellent but some of them were a little gritty, and my stomach didn't react well to something.

Where'd this first-timer go wrong, and what should he do differently. BTW, I will never put shrimp on the grill again! Well, I'm sure I will, but I'm going to boil them a LOT more often now!

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Once your water's at a boil (with the seasoning of your choice), those shrimp can be thrown in for just a couple of minutes. Really, it only takes about three minutes then you can take them off the heat. They can be served immediately, no need to steep 'em. Of course, the timing can vary depending on the size of the shrimp, but not much. Nothing worse than overdone shrimp.

If they seemed too gritty, well, that happens sometimes unless you take the time to pull that vein out after you peel them and before you eat them. If the meat itself seemed gritty, I don't know what to tell you except maybe they were overdone.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Once your water's at a boil (with the seasoning of your choice), those shrimp can be thrown in for just a couple of minutes. Really, it only takes about three minutes then you can take them off the heat. They can be served immediately, no need to steep 'em. Of course, the timing can vary depending on the size of the shrimp, but not much. Nothing worse than overdone shrimp.

If they seemed too gritty, well, that happens sometimes unless you take the time to pull that vein out after you peel them and before you eat them. If the meat itself seemed gritty, I don't know what to tell you except maybe they were overdone.
No, I don't think they were overdone, I think it was probably the poop. They were big ol' shrimp, and while they were good, I don't think I cooked them long enough. Maybe another minute would have helped.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I ate some shrimp gumbo in Gulfshores recently and it had some "grittiness" to it. I thought it could have been a little sand.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
"what you talkin about Willis?"
A quick way to clean and eat shrimp in the shell is to use a regular dinner fork. Slip one prong of the fork in the shrimp where the top vein is. Push it in as far as it will reach and it should go in easy. Hold the shrimp in one hand and rip the fork prong straight up which should rip through all the top shell. Pinch the tail as you pull the shell away from the shrimp and the vein, if it didn't go with the shell will be exposed and easy to remove. This works on raw or boiled shrimp. The larger the shrimp the larger the vein which is the digestive tract.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
A quick way to clean and eat shrimp in the shell is to use a regular dinner fork. Slip one prong of the fork in the shrimp where the top vein is. Push it in as far as it will reach and it should go in easy. Hold the shrimp in one hand and rip the fork prong straight up which should rip through all the top shell. Pinch the tail as you pull the shell away from the shrimp and the vein, if it didn't go with the shell will be exposed and easy to remove. This works on raw or boiled shrimp. The larger the shrimp the larger the vein which is the digestive tract.
good tip. Now come off the recipes!

aden

Suspended
Jan 30, 2005
citronelle ala
Buy 21 to 26 count to boil, thats shrimp per pound.Try to buy them with heads on,if they are already deheaded they are usually not as fresh.I cut up a lemon or two to boil in the water with my spices also. I fyou leave them in the water too long they will be harder to peel.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Buy 21 to 26 count to boil, thats shrimp per pound.Try to buy them with heads on,if they are already deheaded they are usually not as fresh.I cut up a lemon or two to boil in the water with my spices also. I fyou leave them in the water too long they will be harder to peel.
so how long is too long? Say, for one pound of shrimp you should boil "x" minutes?

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
so how long is too long? Say, for one pound of shrimp you should boil "x" minutes?
It doesn't matter if you are cooking 1 shrimp or 1,000 shrimp it takes the same amount of time. Put the shrimp in the pot of boiling water and when it comes back to a boil the shrimp will be done in 2 1/2 -3 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp. If you have medium shrimp (36-40 count) they take less time to cook than extra large (16-20 count) and there is the consideration that some people like their shrimp more undercooked than overcooked.

I use either a 53 or 38 quart stainless steel pot with strainer baskets. I fill the pot 2/3 full and add spices. Zataran's crab boil is my choice and I use a small bottle of concentrated liquid plus a couple of bags of the dry. I will add 3 lemons cut in half and squeezed, 2 oranges cut in quarters and squeezed, a whole head of garlic cleaned and smashed, a couple tablespoons of tabasco sauce, no salt. When water comes to a boil I add whole medium size onions, red skin potatoes and corn on the cob to cook about 10-12 minutes. Keep pot covered while cooking. Add the shrimp at the end and cook 2 1/2 - 3 minutes then remove from heat or turn off your outdoor burner (big pots need outdoor burner). Pull basket from pot and dump on picnic table that has been covered with plastic. Drag a trash can up to one end of the table and give everyone a roll of paper towels. Have bowls of dipping sauce and butter.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
It doesn't matter if you are cooking 1 shrimp or 1,000 shrimp it takes the same amount of time. Put the shrimp in the pot of boiling water and when it comes back to a boil the shrimp will be done in 2 1/2 -3 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp. If you have medium shrimp (36-40 count) they take less time to cook than extra large (16-20 count) and there is the consideration that some people like their shrimp more undercooked than overcooked.

I use either a 53 or 38 quart stainless steel pot with strainer baskets. I fill the pot 2/3 full and add spices. Zataran's crab boil is my choice and I use a small bottle of concentrated liquid plus a couple of bags of the dry. I will add 3 lemons cut in half and squeezed, 2 oranges cut in quarters and squeezed, a whole head of garlic cleaned and smashed, a couple tablespoons of tabasco sauce, no salt. When water comes to a boil I add whole medium size onions, red skin potatoes and corn on the cob to cook about 10-12 minutes. Keep pot covered while cooking. Add the shrimp at the end and cook 2 1/2 - 3 minutes then remove from heat or turn off your outdoor burner (big pots need outdoor burner). Pull basket from pot and dump on picnic table that has been covered with plastic. Drag a trash can up to one end of the table and give everyone a roll of paper towels. Have bowls of dipping sauce and butter.

as they used to say on Hee-Haw......."MMMMMMM-MMMMMM!!!"

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com

Where do you live again? and what time can i come over?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.