How good is Wetumpka?

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
I went to Wetumpka, grad thier last real good year until now in 97. I noticed they are 8 or 9-1 with their only loss to Prattville. Are they any good this year? I have been away for 8 or so years in the military and I have lost touch with my home town. Also my cousin played for McCracken at lee when he was there, any chance he goes to Hoover?

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I went to Wetumpka, grad thier last real good year until now in 97. I noticed they are 8 or 9-1 with their only loss to Prattville. Are they any good this year? I have been away for 8 or so years in the military and I have lost touch with my home town. Also my cousin played for McCracken at lee when he was there, any chance he goes to Hoover?
Apparently they are very good this season. Prattville though, IMO appears to be head and shoulders above everyone else this year as they have been literally beating the stew out of anyone unlucky enough to take the field against them!

As far as McCracken making the move to Hoover, your guess is as good as mine.
:BigA:

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
I officiated the Wetumpka - Prattville game. It was hard to tell how good the Indians were against PHS - they are just a cut above anyone in the state. However, talking with friends of mine that go to their games, they are pretty good. The Washington kid who is QB is a very good athlete - will definitely play on Saturdays. He is the son of Lewis (Teddy) Washington, who played 3 sports at WHS in the late 70s. He is probably better athletically than his dad. I am proud of the Indians - 9-1 in 6A is good no matter how you cut it.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
I don't think Spence will be the man at HHS - he is too close to retirement and has a gravy train at Opelika. Would not be surprised to see HHS make a run for Bill Clark at Prattville - he coached with Propst at HHS before going to Prattville. Don't know if he would go - he has it good where he is, but if they throw enough money at him, he could be the man.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Wetumpka is a good team. I saw (and liked) them against Prattville and they played better than the score indicated. As Tidehawk stated, it is difficult to get a good feel for some teams when playing Prattville as they are playing at such a high level of late. The Indian's defense is tough and I like their QB. Prior to their game with Stanhope I thought he would be the difference in that game and he didn't disappoint. The brackets have them on the road to McGill in the 2nd round, a tough assignment for them.

I really don't see McCracken going to Hoover. However, Spence doesn't lack for confidence or ego (not meant to be derogatory), and Hoover could provide him the opportunity to retire with a championship. Thus far, he has been unable to get Opelika into the final game and his last title was in 1992 at Lee.

As for Coach Clark, he has built Prattville into a great program and I think he only leaves "the Ville" for the college ranks. Although he and Propst have a history, I don't think being the guy that replaced Propst is appealing to him. Prattville may not be able to match the money that Hoover could offer, but there are more important things than money.

That's my 2 cents worth.

GrandBayTider

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2004
Prattville, AL
I agree, I don't see Spence going to Hoover. Actually the coach at Foley (I can't think of his name) would probably be the one in my opinion. He used to be the OC for Hoover before taking over at Foley. So he is familiar with the system, and has proven his coaching ability.

Clark makes as much as Propst was, so don't really see money being thrown on the table to sway his decision. Plus being friends with Propst would make me think he would not want to take his place, especially when he is busy building his name where he is at.

Oh BTW yeah Wetumpka is good, QB excellent athlete, but not enough weapons to go to far in the playoffs.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Those of us that had seen Wetumpka said that they were good. A tough loss for the Indians against McGill but you have to be able to finish the deal. Gutsy call by the McGill coach to go for two and the win with less than ten seconds remaining.

Congrats Wetumpka on a fine season.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Actually the coach at Foley (I can't think of his name) would probably be the one in my opinion. He used to be the OC for Hoover before taking over at Foley. So he is familiar with the system, and has proven his coaching.
You're thinking of Todd Watson and he was the DC/LB coach for Hoover.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.