ESPN News: Franchione to be fired after the season / OFFICIAL NOW: Fran takes buyout

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Andre Ware just said - moments ago - that Franchione has been fired by aTm. They're at the news conference for Torre right now. More info as it becomes available.

Tide64

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2004
Re: ESPN News: Franchione Fired

They're saying that he is gone at the end of the season at Texags. Don't know where the guys info comes from.

For those of you at work that cannot watch TV, the earlier post about ESPN News is not really accurate. What was reported is not 'the usual stuff'. They did not announce speculation. They officially announced:

1. Fran out at the end of the year

2. Negotiations have been happening for last 10 days for buy out

3. Official recruiter has been hired by A&M - (said name and I dont remember)

4. A&M officially targeting Tuberville

I wanted to provide clarification because at first read of the last post, it seems like a group of guy sitting around 'speculating'. This announcement was more of a press release. I suspect we could have a conference soon.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Wow, I'm surprised Bill Byrne did it now.

This is a positive move for A&M.

[edit]
Just found this on another board:
For those of you at work that cannot watch TV, the earlier post about ESPN News is not really accurate. What was reported is not 'the usual stuff'. They did not announce speculation. They officially announced:

1. Fran out at the end of the year

2. Negotiations have been happening for last 10 days for buy out

3. Official recruiter has been hired by A&M - (said name and I dont remember)

4. A&M officially targeting Tuberville

Tide64

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2004

Has Wingnut made his pine box statement again lately? It's code for "I'm getting the heck out of this state." :)
If they are targetting him, he will have some uncomfortable questions to answer for the next few weeks. :)

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

I like the fact that this will create friction at AU...as we all remember it doesn't make a team feel good not knowing where the coach is going to be next year.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I like the fact that this will create friction at AU...as we all remember it doesn't make a team feel good not knowing where the coach is going to be next year.
I agree. And frankly, I'd LOVE to see the barn go through some of what we've endured in recent years...

Tide64

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2004

And it's got to help in recruiting. :biggrin:

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

I agree. And frankly, I'd LOVE to see the barn go through some of what we've endured in recent years...
You know Lowder is watching this carefully too....he knows he messed up when he did what he did to TT. Just knowing TT might go elsewhere and get the last laugh can't make the Aubies feel good.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ

This should be an interesting day. Wonder what the guys at PTI are going to have to say?

MNBamaFan

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Minnesota

I sure hope Wingnut neither confirms nor denies any rumors for weeks. That would do wonders for any recruits leaning toward the Barn.

And I would love to see a potential coach or two turn down a Barn offer. :biggrin:

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA

So he refused to quash the rumors. If he's not going, why not just say that?
From the coach's perspective that is probably the best way to handle the situation. You only have to look at Saban's exit from Miami to see that. If the coach adopts it as his policy to NEVER address such things during the season, his words cannot be used against him at a later date. Tubbs probably learned that from his last job change.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama

It's not a done deal yet at aTm. Expect he will be fired but it is not official.

I agree, it will be nice if the thing can string out for the next several weeks with wingnut.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.