Brunswick Stew

AllTide

2nd Team
Mar 9, 2006
N. Alabama
I made a Brunswick stew Saturday morning for the game and it turned out great if I may say so myself. I got the recipe off a web site called Simply Grilling.

Brunswick Stew

• 1 Chicken, boil, remove meat
• 3 Pounds of browned hamburger meat
• 3 cans of baby green limas
• 3 cans of corn
• 1 can of tomato sauce
• Louisiana Hot Sauce

Boil the chicken. Remove the chicken, but save the stock. Pull the chicken meat from the bone and chop. Add to the stock. Add hamburger meat, Baby Green Limas, corn and tomato sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Add hot sauce to taste. Simmer three hours.

Roll Tide.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
No squirrel?

Brunswick Stew with Squirrel

3 squirrels - about 1 pound dressed and cut into 6 serving pieces each. Flour for dredging
6 slices of bacon
2 large yellow onion, chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
1 cup diced plum tomatoes
6 cups chicken stock
2 cups dry white wine
2 bay leaves
1 cup diced red potatoes
1/2 pound young okra
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 cup fresh lima or baby butter beans
1/2 cup diced, peeled turnip
11/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
4 tablespoons butter, cut into several pieces
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Dredge squirrel pieces in flour and shake off the excess
In a Dutch oven, fry bacon until crispy and then remove it to a paper towel, leaving the drippings
Add the squirrel in batches to avoid crowding
Brown evenly on all sides than set aside
Put onion, garlic and tomatoes in the pot and sauté until onion is softened and starting to turn golden
Add stock, wine, bay leaves and squirrel pieces and bring to a slow simmer
Cook uncovered until the meat is tender and falling off the bone but still intact
For young grey squirrels this may take 1 hour; for older squirrels may need two
Remove the squirrel pieces, than pull meat from the bones
Skim any fat from liquid, then return the meat to the pot along with potatoes, okra, corn, beans, turnips and rosemary
Simmer until the potatoes and turnips are tender, 7 to 9 minutes
Crumble bacon and stir it into the stew
Add the butter pieces, stir until melted, and season with salt and pepper
Serve immediately

Only on New Years Day..

Last edited:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
No squirrel?

Brunswick Stew with Squirrel

3 squirrels - about 1 pound dressed and cut into 6 serving pieces each. Flour for dredging
6 slices of bacon
2 large yellow onion, chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
1 cup diced plum tomatoes
6 cups chicken stock
2 cups dry white wine
2 bay leaves
1 cup diced red potatoes
1/2 pound young okra
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 cup fresh lima or baby butter beans
1/2 cup diced, peeled turnip
11/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
4 tablespoons butter, cut into several pieces
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Dredge squirrel pieces in flour and shake off the excess
In a Dutch oven, fry bacon until crispy and then remove it to a paper towel, leaving the drippings
Add the squirrel in batches to avoid crowding
Brown evenly on all sides than set aside
Put onion, garlic and tomatoes in the pot and sauté until onion is softened and starting to turn golden
Add stock, wine, bay leaves and squirrel pieces and bring to a slow simmer
Cook uncovered until the meat is tender and falling off the bone but still intact
For young grey squirrels this may take 1 hour; for older squirrels may need two
Remove the squirrel pieces, than pull meat from the bones
Skim any fat from liquid, then return the meat to the pot along with potatoes, okra, corn, beans, turnips and rosemary
Simmer until the potatoes and turnips are tender, 7 to 9 minutes
Crumble bacon and stir it into the stew
Add the butter pieces, stir until melted, and season with salt and pepper
Serve immediately

Only on New Years Day..
You beat me to it (no squirrel?)

I looked at the recipe last night and thought it must be the quick-n-easy Brunswick Stew. But if someone likes it then it's a good recipe.

AllTide

2nd Team
Mar 9, 2006
N. Alabama
You beat me to it (no squirrel?)

I looked at the recipe last night and thought it must be the quick-n-easy Brunswick Stew. But if someone likes it then it's a good recipe.
Bayou it was quick and easy and very good. Ya'lls recipes look good also but they look similar to our chicken stews, minus the squirrel and plus the chicken Ha Ha. It was just somethig different. Most of the Brunswick stew I have ate in North Alabama have been the simple variety somtimes called dishwater stew becouse they are thin. Also alot of them have pulled pork instead of the ground beef.

BamaFan in NY where do you get squirrel up there? Central Park.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Bayou it was quick and easy and very good. Ya'lls recipes look good also but they look similar to our chicken stews, minus the squirrel and plus the chicken Ha Ha. It was just somethig different. Most of the Brunswick stew I have ate in North Alabama have been the simple variety somtimes called dishwater stew becouse they are thin. Also alot of them have pulled pork instead of the ground beef.

BamaFan in NY where do you get squirrel up there? Central Park.
HA HA

That would be funny to see someone squirrel hunting in Central Park.

Everybody always assumes im in NY CITY.. I live about 8 hours from NY city in some of the prettiest country youve ever seen.. Im about 30 minutes from the Canadian border. There is a lot of good hunting up here and the deer are HUGE.

People never seem to be able to seperate NY state from NY City-- Upstate NY and Downstate NY are on two different planets.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
My Grandfather used to make the best brunswick stew I've ever had. Every year when he killed his hogs, usually in November, he'd also thin out his older roosters and hens. After boiling the meat, he'd run it through a grinder and put in back in the broth along with onions and my Grandmothers canned tomatoes and corn. He simmered it all night until it reached just the right consistency. If anyone has ever had brunswick stew from Sprayberry's in Newnan, Ga. or Melears in Fayetteville, Ga. it was similar to theirs.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
HA HA

That would be funny to see someone squirrel hunting in Central Park.

Everybody always assumes im in NY CITY.. I live about 8 hours from NY city in some of the prettiest country youve ever seen.. Im about 30 minutes from the Canadian border. There is a lot of good hunting up here and the deer are HUGE.

People never seem to be able to seperate NY state from NY City-- Upstate NY and Downstate NY are on two different planets.
Upstate NY is nothing like The City, even the people are different and it's quite rural in nature. I suppose you live in some burg on highway 11 in the northern tip and the deer would be huge up there compared to the little swamp deer of south Alabama or even the forest deer of north Alabama.

Back to the brunswick stew, all of them I have had were on the thick side not too much like a soup and very meaty. Most all of them had at least three kinds of meat and yep, the real prize stews did have a squirrel (tree rat) in them.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
The foulest smelling aroma I have ever smelled in a kitchen was roast moose. Of all the antlered animals moose is my least favorite.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Upstate NY is nothing like The City, even the people are different and it's quite rural in nature. I suppose you live in some burg on highway 11 in the northern tip and the deer would be huge up there compared to the little swamp deer of south Alabama or even the forest deer of north Alabama.

Back to the brunswick stew, all of them I have had were on the thick side not too much like a soup and very meaty. Most all of them had at least three kinds of meat and yep, the real prize stews did have a squirrel (tree rat) in them.
I actually live right on Lake Ontario very close the the Burgs you speak of along highway 11.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.